reflection on 2019/20 incomers | Vital Football

reflection on 2019/20 incomers

Peak Rover

Vital Reserves Team
Now that the most exciting for many a season a few personal reflections on our recruitment
Ravel Morrison obviously at one time had skill but not the attitude to go with it. Perhaps a worthwhile
gamble . Failure
Oliver McBurnie Took a long to get fully fit. Control lacking, puts himself about making himself a nuisance but not the speedy consistent goal scorer we.needed. Only reasonable
Lys Mousset. Not fit when he arrived, and never appeared to be fully fit. He had the speed we desperately needed ,but he didn't seem to have necessary commitment for the manager. sorry to upset his fan club Failure
Callun Robinson looked good at Championship level but was not able to make the step up to the premiership. Failure
Luke Freeman. seemed to have plenty of energy and a fair amount of skill. He was probably under used as a sub to add a bit of running at tired defences. Fair gamble
Ben Osborne Had to wait along time for his chance but when he was ask to fill John Flecks boots he did it successfully. Another year under manager and he can only get better. Success
Jack Robinson Like Osborne had to wait for his chance and although not as good going forward as o'Connell, he did not disgrace himself as an understudy. Success
Michael Verrips Very difficult to assess the progress as he has not had much match time to show his talent. He is still young for a goalkeeper so should improve. Jury out on Success or Failure.
Mohamed Besic Looked a very competent mid field player. I am surprised he wasn't used more as he
seemed to have steel and movement. Also he looked capable of scoring goals. Sorry he was not able to stay when the season resumed. neither Failure or Success
Phil Jagielka. We can only guess that he was signed to pass on his knowledge of the team and if necessary fill in at the back. On the success of the team he has been a Success

Poor old Jack Rodwell. Former England international and his contribution barely warrants a mention. I'll rate him as 'that happened', same as Retsos and Zivkovic.

It was difficult to asses those three because they only played fleeting appearances on the resumed season.

Very good that PR - am I correct in thinking that is your first post, if so welcome!
Not too much to disagree with there. What are your thoughts on Sander Berge?

He was on my list but forgot in posting for first time.
On Sander Berge I am sure we haven't seen the best of him yet.He has quick feet but has found it difficult to come to terms with the Premier League especially as the formation United Play they need to have an extra ordinary work rate to cover raiding wing backs and centre backs. It has been said that his best position is in Norwood's position. I am not sure about that i like the way he combined with Baldock and Basham. Also he looks as though he has a goal or two in him.Which we badly need..

Good first post that 👍
on mousset even though he’s disappointed me overall his goals early season put us in a very good position and gave us the confidence to push on and have our best season for over a generation (better than most if not all of us predicted) and kept us well away from the dreaded drop zone so although I understand why you’ve put him down as a failure as his longevity looks in doubt 10m isn’t a big price to pay for keeping us in the prem and I know it was a team effort but without someone to put it in the net we all know where we’d be

Danny Wilson once said, "For every 10 players you buy, you get three that do well, four that are okay and three you'd rather forget." I think that is broadly in line with what has happened. Surprise of the year for me, Ben Osborn. Played with distinction when his time came..

Good first post that 👍
on mousset even though he’s disappointed me overall his goals early season put us in a very good position and gave us the confidence to push on and have our best season for over a generation (better than most if not all of us predicted) and kept us well away from the dreaded drop zone so although I understand why you’ve put him down as a failure as his longevity looks in doubt 10m isn’t a big price to pay for keeping us in the prem and I know it was a team effort but without someone to put it in the net we all know where we’d be
Earlier in the season whenever DE MOOSE was on the pitch we looked a threat but i can understand why St Christopher didn't start him much lately cos he just doesn't look fit enough to play 90 mins.I'll be surprised if he's still here next season but if he does leave we obviously need a striker or two with Pace but i'm sure the Gaffer&the staff know this.UTMPB

Berge - 9/10
Mousset - 7/10
McBurnie - 6/10
Freeman - 6/10
Osborn - 8/10
C.Robinson - 4/10
Jagielka - 5/10
Besic - 6/10
Ravel - 1/10
J.Robinson - 6/10
Rodwell - 3/10
Verrips - 3/10
Retsos - 5/10 *
Zivkovic - 3/10

A very mixed, generally pretty sour and uninspiring bag. Must do better.

Berge will be superb.

Callum Robinson the biggest disappointment, and surprise.

* Can't rate Retsos fairly - he was a really good signing but due to Covidity it didn't work out.

As Rod would say its all about opinions so I can see why people have different perceptions of Mousset and McBurnie. I had the idea that this would be the ideal pairing one big and robust and the other smaller and quicker.Unfortunately at the beginning neither looked fit. It looked like Mcburnie had got fitter but his footwork was a little clumsy to say the least.at but he really did put himself about Mousset never seemed to be fully fit and 45minutes was as much as he could manage so he became bits player. Yes his goals were important but if could have had more.. After the restart he looked completely uninterested. Wouldn't surprise me if he isn't here next season. Although I think we will lose money on him.
A little advise for McBurnie in the 7 week break practice kicking the ball against the garden wall and control it quickly. Serious I think he could make it. Buy a quick small player to go with him then my fantasies of Deane and Agana would come true,

I think McBurnie gets alot of unfair critism. In the games he has been poor it is because the opposition match us or push right up and give us no time. As we do not have players with high technical ability we really struggle with that. The service to the strikers is then non existant and Baldock and Stevens get cancelled out (more so Stevens). Also because of the way McGoldrick plays McBurnie is often the only player in the box and marked by 2-3 players. Give him a better quality partner and more creativity from midfield and you will see the best of him.

I think McBurnie gets alot of unfair critism. In the games he has been poor it is because the opposition match us or push right up and give us no time. As we do not have players with high technical ability we really struggle with that. The service to the strikers is then non existant and Baldock and Stevens get cancelled out (more so Stevens). Also because of the way McGoldrick plays McBurnie is often the only player in the box and marked by 2-3 players. Give him a better quality partner and more creativity from midfield and you will see the best of him.
agree McBurnie needs a quick player around him to occupy a defender . I have never considered McGoldrick as a striker but very capable Duffy type Roll

That we've never seen McBurnie and Mousset together properly is ridiculous. Not the first time Wilder's wasted such a possibility.

McBurnie's 'alright' but he just needs to improve in too many departments to ever be anything more.

Basic technical aspects need to improve as well as physicality.

The physical improvement is possible but I don't see him suddenly not looking like tripping over every time he has the ball. Fundamental technique changes are needed and that's always unlikely.

McBurnie's 'alright' but he just needs to improve in too many departments to ever be anything more.

Basic technical aspects need to improve as well as physicality.

The physical improvement is possible but I don't see him suddenly not looking like tripping over every time he has the ball. Fundamental technique changes are needed and that's always unlikely.

Sadly that's probably true, although if he's prepared to put in the work, who knows. He's made big gains this season from when he arrived......could go further with the right mentality