Reece James | Page 5 | Vital Football

Reece James

I don't think it is "Humbug" Zakky. Much of what MB says is right. Reece was brilliant for us, as many other players have been, but he is no longer our player. We do not have a thread for every player that has left us and done well, we do have a pinned thread for ex players, and that is the place to be celebrating their achievements after they have gone.

I personally believe Reece will go on to be a future International and possibly lead the England team as captain, but that will be through his affiliation with Chelsea, not Wigan. We gave him a start, and we should be proud as a club that we were able to do that, however he no longer wears our colours and his allegiance is elsewhere. Should he return to the DW with another club it would be only right and proper to show our appreciation of his time with us by applauding him before the game, but should he score, I personally would not feel the need to clap him.

I don't think it is "Humbug" Zakky. Much of what MB says is right. Reece was brilliant for us, as many other players have been, but he is no longer our player. We do not have a thread for every player that has left us and done well, we do have a pinned thread for ex players, and that is the place to be celebrating their achievements after they have gone.

I personally believe Reece will go on to be a future International and possibly lead the England team as captain, but that will be through his affiliation with Chelsea, not Wigan. We gave him a start, and we should be proud as a club that we were able to do that, however he no longer wears our colours and his allegiance is elsewhere. Should he return to the DW with another club it would be only right and proper to show our appreciation of his time with us by applauding him before the game, but should he score, I personally would not feel the need to clap him.

He is not like other players we have had he is very special and arguably one of the best players ever to pull on our jersey. Well I think so anyway, really don't care if anyone else doesn't think so.

He is not like other players we have had he is very special and arguably one of the best players ever to pull on our jersey. Well I think so anyway, really don't care if anyone else doesn't think so.

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with the sentiments, and I am certainly not, Reece was a special player for us, but so was Watson. If he had scored against us the other week I have no doubt few would have been applauding him.

Why is there not a thread dedicated to him ? .

There will no doubt be those of us that will follow Reece's career with interest but there will also be those that think he is no longer one of our players and has moved on and so should we. That is their choice.

My criticism was that this is not "Humbug", it is pertinent to some but not to others. It all depends on whether or not you are interested in our former players careers. My personal feelings on this are that the ex player thread is the place for discussion about former players, you may differ and I am happy to accept your views and I would call on you to be as acceptable of my views and those that are of similar mind. This forum is for all things Latics and as he is no longer a current player I believe we should be praising his efforts but not dedicating a thread exclusively to a player who is playing for another club. As I say Reece was a special player for our club, but is he deserving of special treatment now that he plays elsewhere, not for me. Would I like to see him succeed, yes. Would I be applauding him if he scored against us, No.

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with the sentiments, and I am certainly not, Reece was a special player for us, but so was Watson. If he had scored against us the other week I have no doubt few would have been applauding him.

There will no doubt be those of us that will follow Reece's career with interest but there will also be those that think he is no longer one of our players and has moved on and so should we. That is their choice.

My criticism was that this is not "Humbug", it is pertinent to some but not to others. It all depends on whether or not you are interested in our former players careers. My personal feelings on this are that the ex player thread is the place for discussion about former players, you may differ and I am happy to accept your views and I would call on you to be as acceptable of my views and those that are of similar mind. This forum is for all things Latics and as he is no longer a current player I believe we should be praising his efforts but not dedicating a thread exclusively to a player who is playing for another club. As I say Reece was a special player for our club, but is he deserving of special treatment now that he plays elsewhere, not for me. Would I like to see him succeed, yes. Would I be applauding him if he scored against us, No.

Watson

Are you serious he was crap sorry he was, and was lucky to be in the right place
No Comparison

Your opinion!

In my opinion he gave us one of the best moments in the clubs history.

Got to agree with Zakky, although Watsonwill go down in history as being the player who scored the most important Latics goal etc etc let's face it he was a bit crap. I know I was one of many who thought "what's he bringing Watson on for" in the final. :LOL:

Not sure how anybody can be so offended about one thread on Reece James. It's the only one on him and its easy to ignore as the heading is his name.

I have contributed to it because I am interested in how he gets on. There's only been the occasional post on it over the course of the last few weeks so where's the harm in it?

Got to agree with Zakky, although Watsonwill go down in history as being the player who scored the most important Latics goal etc etc let's face it he was a bit crap. I know I was one of many who thought "what's he bringing Watson on for" in the final. :LOL:
That'll be Bob Martinez - knows how to introduce a positive impact sub that mon unlike the current ?

Not sure how anybody can be so offended about one thread on Reece James. It's the only one on him and its easy to ignore as the heading is his name.

I have contributed to it because I am interested in how he gets on. There's only been the occasional post on it over the course of the last few weeks so where's the harm in it?

Come on Roy, we all wish the lad well, but people telling us on here RJ's every move for bloody Chelsea of all clubs is a bit cringey.

Your opinion!

In my opinion he gave us one of the best moments in the clubs history.

Yes he did your right but that doesn't put him in the same class as Reece. He was dreadful the year he left and was just as bad the other week when he came back with Forest

I don't think it's 'cringey' at all.

It would be pretty sad if he was already a senior pro who'd done a season with us then moved on, but he's not. He's a youngster who, in his own debut season lit up a pretty dull season for the club. He'll hopefully go on to do great things, and it was little Wigan who gave him the launchpad.

Last season was a shit show, but this young lad was one of only a very small number of positives that made my season ticket worth the money. That buys him a special place in my memory.

Keeping an eye out for how he's doing at the top level is pretty natural for me, and I'll support him with a clap whatever chance I get.

Last edited:
Come on Roy, we all wish the lad well, but people telling us on here RJ's every move for bloody Chelsea of all clubs is a bit cringey.

Every move? Hardly. Anyway why are you so concerned, the thread will naturally quieten down or might even die a death the more he plays. Once he's a regular, which won't be long, it won't be such a novelty to observe when he starts, scores etc.

If you're so concerned don't read the thread. Simple! Truth is you can't keep away can you?

I'm not offended Roy. I am just making a point that although Reece was probably the best young player I have seen for many years, I personally don't think it is a justification to have a thread dedicated to his ongoing career. Just my own opinion.

There is a thread pinned above for those who wish to make comment about ex players and managers and I am just saying that, again, in my opinion, that is sufficient. I know that others will not agree and I am ok with that, as I say it is just a personal opinion.

The only reason I posted on this thread was to reply to Zakky who called another post "Humbug". It is not humbug, it is a matter of opinion.