Reece James | Page 4 | Vital Football

Reece James

Chelsea are to offer young defender Reece James a new long-term contract, despite the player still having three years left to run on his current deal.

The Independent reports that the Blues are very keen to tie down their best young prospects, with James among those.

James has spent the season on loan at Wigan, where he has thrived in the Championship.

Chelsea aren't daft. They have one of the brightest talents in English football there, and they'd be stupid to let him slip through their fingers or sell him for a massively reduced fee just because he's young. They'll need a right back in the next couple of years (or a replacement for Kante in midfield) and even though they're not exactly strapped for cash, they're not stupid enough to let Reece go for pennies (in top level football terms) then pay 5x the price for someone else who can't possibly be much better if they turn pout to be better at all.

Reece is a world class talent, and Chelsea know it. I just hope he doesn't go the way of some at Chelsea and rot in the reserves until they're forgotten, because that would be a tragedy for Reece, a tragedy for Chelsea and a tragedy for English football as a whole.

Chelsea aren't daft. They have one of the brightest talents in English football there, and they'd be stupid to let him slip through their fingers or sell him for a massively reduced fee just because he's young. They'll need a right back in the next couple of years (or a replacement for Kante in midfield) and even though they're not exactly strapped for cash, they're not stupid enough to let Reece go for pennies (in top level football terms) then pay 5x the price for someone else who can't possibly be much better if they turn pout to be better at all.

Reece is a world class talent, and Chelsea know it. I just hope he doesn't go the way of some at Chelsea and rot in the reserves until they're forgotten, because that would be a tragedy for Reece, a tragedy for Chelsea and a tragedy for English football as a whole.

It would be interesting mate to see how he goes in midfield against a premier standard player. Young Reece has all the tools to make it to the very top, except one. He isn't the quickest off the mark and it can be his undoing as there are similar lads skill wise but who are also a bit nippy as well. He is superb but let's see how he goes before elevating him to legend just yet....another year with us might just do the trick.

United are ready to meet Benfica attacking midfielder Joao Felix's £105m release clause, although they could face competition from Real Madrid for the 19-year-old Portuguese. (Record, via Mirror)

I know we are all biased but how can a 19 year old command such a fee? if he is worth that what is Reece worth ? The Portuguise League isnt exactly the prem.

15 Million YOU MUST BE JOKING

The Liverpool Echo has reported that Everton could be interested in signing Chelsea right-back Reece James this summer.

The 19-year-old enhanced his reputation with an excellent loan spell with Wigan this past season.

And according to The Liverpool Echo, Everton scouted him on a number of occasions during his spell in the Championship.

Crystal Palace have been linked with a move earlier this month, with The Daily Mail claiming that Chelsea value him at around £15 million.

£15 million for a season long loan, I could see.

There's zero chance he'll go for a fee that low. Chelsea are dead set on his staying anyway.

And Everton... Seriously, he can do far better than that. In fact it's an insult to Reece to think he'd even consider signing for them. It's where good prospects go to die.

The thing I like most about watching Reece's development over the season was his attitude. He took ownership of mistakes he made and clearly worked hard to learn from them.

His attitude in general was fantastic. He arrived from Chelsea, but he had no Billy Big Balls attitude: he came to learn, not just on the pitch but off it as well. He got stuck into the community side of things as well as the football. It's clear that he's going to be a fantastic pro as well as a talented player.

I said it before and I'll say it again, it was a privilege to see him grow both as a player and as a man. I can't remember any loanee (and not that many of our own players) we've ever had be as committed and professional, and to be like that at 18-19 years old is a mark of greatness to come imho.

Reece James stretched off tonight with suspected badly broken ankle
This is a disastrous thing for the lad

What MIW said
Ditto, I just posted similar on CL. The lad is a legend and will be up there in the Latics hall of fame with Harry Lyon, John Rogers, Geoff Davies, Les Bradd, Eamon O, Graeme Jones, Micky Worswick, Andy Liddle, Stuart Barlow, Nathan Ellington, Harry DeZeeuw, Jason Roberts, Boycey, Ben Watson and Will Grigg, plus many more of everyone's favourites.
Good luck lad.

Absolutely gutting, shocking news.
Only hope its not as bad as it is suspected. Really, really saddened by this news. Genuinely.

I have to say, I was only bemoaning the fact earlier on that despite it being so called close season, so many players are still actually playing ganes, and if you consider that its the European Championships next summer, I think its a disgrace. Some players will not get any real break at all. Are they playing too much football? Yes.
Reece could've just done with having a break...didnt he play in all but one of our games? Massive jump for a 19 year old kid. Should've just been allowed to have a few weeks break, and then get training again with Chelsea, or someone else if they bought him.
That England game last night, I had no interest in it whatsoever. Players should be sat on beaches now or in a swimming pool. Not still playing. Whoever is organising all these games and little tournaments...pack it in. We all need a break from football...I know I do. I am looking forward to the season, but I am very glad we have a few weeks break to get our breath back and get ready to go again.