Realistically how much can we spend this summer | Vital Football

Realistically how much can we spend this summer

Southern red

Vital Champions League
I know some of you are more up on the finances...if we keep BB,BO and Britt

How much with ffp could we spend on players?

I sadly think Brez is off. Someone will offer him enough money to set him up for life and who can blame him for leaving for that.

Woanz - 22/5/2017 12:04

I sadly think Brez is off. Someone will offer him enough money to set him up for life and who can blame him for leaving for that.

Leaving for a Liverpool, Man or Chelsea is gambling with his career, while not moving would be gambling on his future financial security. Tough decision for a kid to make, hope he has decent people around him to offer advice rather than use him for their own ends, the wrong type of parent is equally as destructive as the wrong type of agent.

Would imagine transfer fees won't be more than 2, possibly 3 million + some of whatever we bring in.

I think another season with us wouldn't do him any harm at all. If he continues to develop as he did this season, it will only increase value and his options

MarvinsPA - 22/5/2017 12:08

Woanz - 22/5/2017 12:04

Leaving for a Liverpool, Man or Chelsea is gambling with his career, while not moving would be gambling on his future financial security. Tough decision for a kid to make, hope he has decent people around him to offer advice rather than use him for their own ends, the wrong type of parent is equally as destructive as the wrong type of agent.

Would imagine transfer fees won't be more than 2, possibly 3 million + some of whatever we bring in.

Totally agree it's a hell of a decision for anyone to make especially someone so young. I'd have thought we'd be looking £5m at least though.

Southern red - 22/5/2017 12:23

I think another season with us wouldn't do him any harm at all. If he continues to develop as he did this season, it will only increase value and his options

Yes, but if he then suffers a career ending injury or doesn't develop he's lost his financial security.

Big big decision for him.

Southern red - 22/5/2017 12:02

I know some of you are more up on the finances...if we keep BB,BO and Britt

How much with ffp could we spend on players?

The club can lose 13m provided EM is willing to write of 8m of it.

The wage bill should have been reduced again what with Fryatt doing one, Mancienne being on reduced terms and Cohen being on a zero hours contract.

Transfer fees can be spread over the length of the players contract.

MW should have more than enough for three or four decent players.

If we follow the Olympiacos model (which I hope we do) then not very much. There will be investment in infrastructure, staff and capital. We'll see an improved scouting network, increased commercial activity, possibly redevelopment in the long term of the CG.

However he will expect us ultimately to be self-sustaining. Do not expect Fawaz type promises...

Olympiacos is a model club in terms of FFP and develops talent in order to sell them at a profit. That will be his long term goal with us.

our current model is to develop amazing youth players then sell them and replace them for expensive has beens.

I hope we no longer follow this model

VOTE LABOUR

It depends.

Last years accounts have essentially made FFP a bit of a farce. Our 'loss' was essentially about £20m but around £17m got put through the profit and loss account, meaning we only posted a loss about £2m, thus meeting the FFP reg's.

In theory they could spend £50m, write off the money, post a meagre loss and pass FFP again.

So who knows.

Calvin Plummer - 22/5/2017 13:06

If we follow the Olympiacos model (which I hope we do) then not very much. There will be investment in infrastructure, staff and capital. We'll see an improved scouting network, increased commercial activity, possibly redevelopment in the long term of the CG.

However he will expect us ultimately to be self-sustaining. Do not expect Fawaz type promises...

Olympiacos is a model club in terms of FFP and develops talent in order to sell them at a profit. That will be his long term goal with us.

You're beginning to warm to him, aren't you?

I hope you are right with your assessment because that should be the aim for all clubs, not just us.

I think he will have to throw a few pounds at the playing side initially though.

interzone - 22/5/2017 14:33

It depends.

Last years accounts have essentially made FFP a bit of a farce. Our 'loss' was essentially about £20m but around £17m got put through the profit and loss account, meaning we only posted a loss about £2m, thus meeting the FFP reg's.

In theory they could spend £50m, write off the money, post a meagre loss and pass FFP again.

So who knows.

As a bookkeeper, rather than an accountant, how does that work? Surely capital introduced is a balance sheet item rather than profit and loss?

MarvinsPA - 22/5/2017 12:29

Southern red - 22/5/2017 12:23

Yes, but if he then suffers a career ending injury or doesn't develop he's lost his financial security.

Big big decision for him.

would.hope he is.more ambitious than that tho. Hopefully he is a player that is motivated by football more than money. rare in a.kid I know.

mao tse tung - 22/5/2017 15:14

Calvin Plummer - 22/5/2017 13:06

You're beginning to warm to him, aren't you?

I hope you are right with your assessment because that should be the aim for all clubs, not just us.

I think he will have to throw a few pounds at the playing side initially though.

I agree there will be initial investment and a moderate amount ongoing but the focus will be off the pitch as much as on. Which I'm wholeheartedly in support of...

I've read up on how Olympiacos is run and it's pretty much exactly what I've been advocating. Interestingly it pisses off a few of their fans who think he pockets the money from transfer fees. They are in the minority though and the numbers don't appear to suggest they're correct.

If he follows a similar strategy with us then I'd be pretty content, my reservations remain about his morality but I'm big enough to admit I like how he runs clubs.

I would assume he will spend virtually nothing, unless the various sales have give us some FFP wriggle room.

The most expensive position of goalscorer is already sorted. We might need a spare striker assume Brereton has chosen to put his career at risk for financial security.

We need Vaughan's replacement this season, ideally another CM and at least one winger.

Defence is the other area. A left back and right back (as back up) on loan. A CM really, although we should have enough if Mills stays.

I wonder if rather than spending money we might exploit the connection with Olympiacos like the Pozzos?

forestfire_59 - 22/5/2017 15:56

As a bookkeeper, rather than an accountant, how does that work? Surely capital introduced is a balance sheet item rather than profit and loss?

The technicals are beyond my knowledge, however I believe it's what QPR did.

forestfire_59 - 22/5/2017 15:56

interzone - 22/5/2017 14:33

It depends.

So who knows.

As a bookkeeper are you good at saving pens as well?

FFP has done nothing to reduce transfer fees

Having transfer windows and getting rid of emergency loan system on top of he millions the relegated teams can spend has just made the market even crazier. Average players you need to spend silly money. Anyone who can score goals in this league suddenly worth £10m. Fulham midfielder from nottm, cairney apparently worth £15m after his season. Could of picked him up a year or so ago for a million.

So how much will we need to spend to compete on the 5 quality players Mark wants is anyone's guess. I just hope he doesn't compromise and goes for the quality he suggests and not the crap foreign rubbish we ended up with in the main last season.

Of course don't all to be purchases and we could get some loans from premier league, but have to be patient with them to arrive and certainly not for June 26th when players report back for preseason and when Mark wants the majority of his business done by

Exciting and interesting summer ahead

Widdow - 22/5/2017 21:36

FFP has done nothing to reduce transfer fees

Having transfer windows and getting rid of emergency loan system on top of he millions the relegated teams can spend has just made the market even crazier. Average players you need to spend silly money. Anyone who can score goals in this league suddenly worth £10m. Fulham midfielder from nottm, cairney apparently worth £15m after his season. Could of picked him up a year or so ago for a million.

So how much will we need to spend to compete on the 5 quality players Mark wants is anyone's guess. I just hope he doesn't compromise and goes for the quality he suggests and not the crap foreign rubbish we ended up with in the main last season.

Of course don't all to be purchases and we could get some loans from premier league, but have to be patient with them to arrive and certainly not for June 26th when players report back for preseason and when Mark wants the majority of his business done by

Exciting and interesting summer ahead

Attempting to sign British players has always proved costly and, over the next two years, they will get even costlier.

Despite our experience last season, the best value is to be found abroad, both in terms of fees and wages demanded.

MW and FM have raided the lower leagues in the past; I'm not sure that will work with us.

Signing players with a view to developing them over a period of time is a good idea but you know what our supporters are like, they want instantaneous results.

The same with players coming through the academy; players will be deemed not good enough after about five games.

Any FL team contemplating paying 15m for the likes of Cairney deserve to go out of business; he is not worth it and never will be.

As exciting and interesting the Summer will be, you can guarantee that most people will revert to type come the first run of indifferent results.