Realistic Targets for Championship | Page 6 | Vital Football

Realistic Targets for Championship

Wouldn't be at all suprised if Kal Naismith turned up on a free, the Pompey local press said we nearly got him in January and Jackett said he turned down a new deal implying he seemed to already have his heart set on another club.

Naismith was Paul Cooks top scorer and player of the season in their promotion year, Pompey fans seem to think he isn't good enough for them in L1 but they said Cook wasn't that great, so you can't ever read too much into what they say. Even if they were being fair and he hasn't impressed for them this season i remember the Blackpool fans saying Perks was useless before he won player of the year for us and Sam Morsy was a shadow of the player he is under Cook under previous managers. So it shows how much changing clubs and managers can impact on a players performance.

There were similar criticisms of Chey Dunkley and Jamie Jones from fans of their previous clubs too - clearly certain players thrive in the type of environment that I think Cook offers.

Adam hammill's been popping up in a few times in this thread. In the championship he's played 289, scoring 27. This season he's played 30 championship games, scoring none and assisting one. He shows moments of quality but for me we need goals/creation from all over the pitch this season. A player who creates something less than 1 in 10 games in an attacking role isn't going to be good enough.

Had a quick look earlier at a few Championship lineups from the teams promoted from league 1 last season. Millwall, bolton both had 6 and sheffield had 5 new players in their starting line-ups. From that i think we'll sign atleast 10 players, with 5 starting and another 5 to add depth.

Adam hammill's been popping up in a few times in this thread. In the championship he's played 289, scoring 27. This season he's played 30 championship games, scoring none and assisting one. He shows moments of quality but for me we need goals/creation from all over the pitch this season. A player who creates something less than 1 in 10 games in an attacking role isn't going to be good enough.

Had a quick look earlier at a few Championship lineups from the teams promoted from league 1 last season. Millwall, bolton both had 6 and sheffield had 5 new players in their starting line-ups. From that i think we'll sign atleast 10 players, with 5 starting and another 5 to add depth.

I understand what you're saying, but I'm just trying to keep it realistic - it's all pretty irrelevant anyway until we can gauge how much money is or isn't available to spend this summer. Either way, retaining our best players should be our main focus this summer and any signings on top of that will be a bonus.

I'd have taken Hammil a couple of years ago but now I'm thinking he's probably one of those players who is a king in L1 but not quite good enough to thrive in the Championship. And with him now being 30 i think there are probably better options realistically available - the 2 Scunny lads Holmes and Adelakun plus Newell from Rotherham stand out as the top freebies for the wings. Someone already mentioned Lyle Taylor is free who i really liked the look of all season and can play out wide. Not to mention a loan for Yanic or McMannam.

Previously no one mentioned Ryan Kent as a loan he's a top player but for whatever reason had a tough time at Bristol. Allegedly we nearly got Harry Wilson in January on loan and he's been great at Hull so it wouldn't suprise me if we went back in for him. Same goes for Josh Windass i could see us look at him again.

There's certainly plenty of interesting and realistic targets to work with.

According to Twitter someone on the walk to Fleetwood asked Sharpe about signings and he said Cook wants 5 or 6.

I remember we said that last time we went up and signed twice as many - but i think it's a more realistic number this time due to coming up much stronger.

Just seen that Nedum Onohua has been released by QPR. Would be a good signing on a free. Has still been a regular for QPR this last season and is good competition for Dunkley and Burn at centre half.

Plus as a Northern lad he may fancy a move back up here from London. Certainly a decent signing worth pursuing.

Without wanting to tempt providence I thought it might be interesting to see which players we may be able to realistically sign this summer, any thoughts ?

The one that springs to mind is Leighton Baines, Everton are looking for new left backs so he could be surplus to requirements and a return to us may appeal I think he is still good enough.

Luke Hyam was released by Ipswich and if I recall is only 25 or 26 so would be an interesting proposal. Much depends on what our war chest looks like. IF it's a couple of million then we'll have to be astute in our signings. If it is more then who knows!

According to Twitter someone on the walk to Fleetwood asked Sharpe about signings and he said Cook wants 5 or 6.

I remember we said that last time we went up and signed twice as many - but i think it's a more realistic number this time due to coming up much stronger.

what ive been seying all along kdz. it is realistic and therell be no holesale changes.

what some peeple forget is. its not just about bringing in new pleyers its about the teem dynamic. evenif you only bring in 2 or 3 the dressing room can be effected with new kid on the block sindrome.

push out a couple of regulars whove been pleying for us thru thick n thin and you can manege it with clever rotatateon. bring in to many and for me the dynamic is lost and the place falls apart. human nature.

The guy who wrote the Lang story is quite reliable, he's been the first to mention a few transfers we've ended up doing over the years.

But I'd personally be a bit suprised if Everton made an offer for Lang this summer, as they've got so many of their own kids that can't get into the side and he's only had 1 season in L2. I imagine they could well be keeping tabs on him to see how he developes over the next 12 months and maybe try and snap him up when his contract expires here if he continues to develop.

Hopefully Cook can have a good look at him over preseason and work out if Lang is going to make the grade so we can offer a new contract if required.

Lang wouldn’t be signed for the first team, he’d go straight into their development squad and play a full season of PL 2 football. Puts us at a crossroads though if the interest is genuine. He won’t be playing for our first team anytime soon so Lang will have to make a decision. Does he want to play PL 2 football next season or play L1 football which is probably where we’ll send him.

Little bit of info from Langs loan.(Limited info) I kept check of all our loan players(In the efl). Just checking their position in the line-up game by game. Was following stubbs at crewe, byrne at oldham, laurent at bury, lang at morecame, kellet and flores at chesterfield. Mostly just position on matchdays and if they scored/assisted/subbed.

On lang he took a while to get his first start, even a little while to get in off the bench. Then he started a few games scored a couple, must of picked up an injury as he was not in the match squad for a while. Came back into the match squad and had to start again from the bench. They played him as a central attacking midfield behind two strikers, as 1 of the two strikers and on the left/right wing(Few times as the lone st). Their formation variated throughout the season from 3-5-2 to 4-2-3-1. He played mostly behind the striker as an attacking midfielder. He started 14 league games, 30 in total(Sub) scoring 10. One goal every 144.4 mins. For a team that stayed up on goal difference. They scored a total of 41 goals and he put in 10, from limited game time.

Little bit of info from Langs loan.(Limited info) I kept check of all our loan players(In the efl). Just checking their position in the line-up game by game. Was following stubbs at crewe, byrne at oldham, laurent at bury, lang at morecame, kellet and flores at chesterfield. Mostly just position on matchdays and if they scored/assisted/subbed.

On lang he took a while to get his first start, even a little while to get in off the bench. Then he started a few games scored a couple, must of picked up an injury as he was not in the match squad for a while. Came back into the match squad and had to start again from the bench. They played him as a central attacking midfield behind two strikers, as 1 of the two strikers and on the left/right wing(Few times as the lone st). Their formation variated throughout the season from 3-5-2 to 4-2-3-1. He played mostly behind the striker as an attacking midfielder. He started 14 league games, 30 in total(Sub) scoring 10. One goal every 144.4 mins. For a team that stayed up on goal difference. They scored a total of 41 goals and he put in 10, from limited game time.

I thought from what little we saw of Lang he looked like he'd be better suited to attacking mid rather than a central striker so i'm not suprised Morcambe were using him there and getting a lot out of him. 1 goal every 3 games from mostly midfield is fantastic for a teenage playing his first season at senior level.

This story of Everton's interest in Callum Lang was reported last year.
Whether it's true i don't know but he seems the most successful of our recent players loaned out. So i think he's worth keeping.

Talking of blood sucking leeches ... here is a breakdown of Agents' fees

1 February 2017 to 31 January 2018
BLACKBURN ROVERS £764,024.00
WIGAN ATHLETIC £557,333.00
CHARLTON ATHLETIC £425,466.00
SOUTHEND UNITED £226,258.00
SCUNTHORPE UNITED £163,160.00
PORTSMOUTH £146,864.00
OXFORD UNITED £142,551.00
ROTHERHAM UNITED £136,046.00
FLEETWOOD TOWN £135,372.00
BRADFORD CITY £100,980.00
PETERBOROUGH UNITED £100,677.00
MILTON KEYNES DONS £86,513.00
NORTHAMPTON TOWN £82,845.00
AFC WIMBLEDON £62,458.00
BRISTOL ROVERS £62,353.00
DONCASTER ROVERS £61,832.00
PLYMOUTH ARGYLE £52,032.00
WALSALL £43,440.00
SHREWSBURY TOWN £43,140.00
ROCHDALE £37,950.00
BLACKPOOL £33,400.00
BURY £25,169.00
OLDHAM ATHLETIC £20,445.00
GILLINGHAM £17,030.00

2 February 2016 to 31 January 2017
NEWCASTLE UNITED £10,449,578.00
ASTON VILLA £5,421,662.00
NOTTINGHAM FOREST £3,539,912.00
NORWICH CITY £3,272,127.00
QUEENS PARK RANGERS £2,382,562.00
CARDIFF CITY £1,973,635.00
DERBY COUNTY £1,961,615.00
READING £1,514,273.00
BRIGHTON & HOVE ALBION £1,494,208.00
FULHAM £1,285,382.00
BLACKBURN ROVERS £1,265,493.00
WOLVERHAMPTON WANDERERS £1,251,130.00
SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY £1,125,695.00
BIRMINGHAM CITY £776,487.00
WIGAN ATHLETIC £775,333.00
LEEDS UNITED £711,364.00
HUDDERSFIELD TOWN £688,869.00
BRENTFORD £626,159.00
BRISTOL CITY £514,816.00
PRESTON NORTH END £482,047.00
IPSWICH TOWN £303,978.00
ROTHERHAM UNITED £261,633.00
BARNSLEY £188,209.00
BURTON ALBION £163,331.00

League 2 - 2 February 2016 to 31 January 2017 (top 5)
PORTSMOUTH £175,344
LEYTON ORIENT £83,348
DONCASTER ROVERS £71,896
CAMBRIDGE UNITED £62,620
LUTON TOWN £45,603

Last edited:
Eamonn Collins as noted previously

Intermediary Transactions 1 April 2015 to 1 February 2016
Finance Solutions
Noel Hunt - Southend

Eamcla Ltd
Alan Browne - Preston
Jordan Hugill - Preston
Aaron McCarey - Wolves
Connor Sammon - Sheffield United
Gary Roberts - Portsmouth (listed as Registering Club Intermediary and Organisation)
Michael Doyle - Portsmouth

Intermediary Transactions 2 February 2016 to 31 January 2017
Tyreke Wilson - Manchester City
Lloyd Dyer - Burton Albion (listed as Registering Club Intermediary and Organisation)
Jordan Hugill - Preston
Eoin Doyle - Portsmouth

Intermediary Transactions 1 February 2017 to 31 January 2018
Tyreke Wilson - Manchester City
Jordan Hugill - West Ham United
Glenn Whelan - Aston Villa
Daryl Murphy - Nottingham Forest
Gareth (Posh for Gary) Roberts - Cancelled Deal at Porstmouth
Gareth (Posh for Gary) Roberts - Wigan Athletic

Caolan lavery and marcus maddison have been transfer listed. Cook signed lavery twice before and we've been linked to maddison a few times.

Unless we have plans to move Powell on i can't see us going in for maddison. While he can play both flanks he's a better player playing centrally.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/44071151

Lavery currently on loan at rotherham from sheffield united, i know nothing about.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/44081831

Lavery's career stats aren't very good at L1 level, I can't see us looking at him now.

Maddison apparently has a 2m buy out clause, not sure i could see us paying that much for 1 player this summer.

Lavery's career stats aren't very good at L1 level, I can't see us looking at him now.

Maddison apparently has a 2m buy out clause, not sure i could see us paying that much for 1 player this summer.

I agree with you on lavery's stats. Although i can't see us looking to add a potential starting striker this season. We already have 3 that will compete for the starting role. But perhaps to replace hunt.

Just checked lavery's stats on loan at rotherham, he's started 1 game, brought on 13 times scoring 2, assisting one. For cook he's played 21 scoring 7.

Btw last season for Sheffield he started 6 games, scoring 4, assisting 4. 21 times he was brought on from the bench.(league games).

Last edited by a moderator: