RM 11 City 9
Cards
RM 2 Y City 2 Y (Akanji, B Silva)
On Target
RM 5 City 6
Woodwork
RM 0 City 0
Off Target
RM 9 City 6 (BBC site has 14 RM shots, City 12 - City OS RM 7 City 2)

Attendance: 76,680

Compiled from UEFA, BBC, and City Official Site match day threads

No UEFA full time report published as at 3.30pm BST 10/4/2024, so compiled from the BBC and City OS.

🚨 TEAM NEWS 🚨

CITY XI: Ortega Moreno, Akanji, Stones, Dias (c), Gvardiol, Rodrigo, Kovacic, Bernardo, Foden*, Grealish, Haaland
Subs: Ederson, Carson, Doku, De Bruyne, Alvarez*, Gomez, Nunes, Bobb, Susoho, Lewis

Last edited:

GOAL!!! Real Madrid 0-1 Man City (Silva, 2)​

OH, BERNARDO SILVA!!! Straight from the free-kick!
He shapes to send a cross in but tries a cheeky, zippy effort towards goal that catches Lunin completely unaware. He tries to scamper across and does get a hand to the ball but he can't keep it out.
The perfect start for City. Calamity for Real.

Real Madrid 2-1 Man City​

HT: Pep Guardiola will be scratching his head. His team have got worse as the game has progressed - this is all after scoring first after two minutes from Silva. They then conceded two quickfire goals to Real. Since then, City have looked a bit stodgy with the ball and have allowed Real lots of moments on the counter.

GOAL!! Real Madrid 2-2 Man City (Foden, 66)​

OH YES PHIL!!! This is magic. A moment of star quality from City's main man this season....
They've been knocking in the past 10 minutes and Foden's left boot does the job! He moves the ball across his body and spanks a fantastic finish into the top corner - making it look easy is the lad.
A big goal at a big moment.

GOAL!! Real Madrid 2-3 Man City (Gvardiol, 71)​

ANOTHER STUNNER...FROM AN UNLIKELY SOURCE!!!
City probe away with Grealish. He sends it back to the left-back who cuts in and from 22 yards curls a finish into the far corner. It's a beautiful goal. And a beautiful moment for him - his first City goal.
Pep's men are fully in control now!

FULL-TIME​

An epic Champions League encounter finished 3-3 here at the Bernabeu.
City went ahead after a clever free-kick routine by Bernardo Silva but were behind at the break after quickfire goals from Eduardo Camavinga and Rodrygo.
Pep Guardiola’s men came charging back into it as the second half continued via fantastic strikes from Phil Foden and Josko Gvardiol while Federico Valverde levelled with an equally fine finish.
Now it's back to Fortress Etihad as we look for progress through to the Champions League semi-finals.

22:00
FT: Real Madrid 3-3 Man City

Will Manchester City be the happier of the two sides this evening? The holders will be confident going into the second leg at the Etihad next week knowing they thrashed Real Madrid in the home leg of the semi-final last year.

22:00

Will Manchester City be the happier of the two sides this evening? The holders will be confident going into the second leg at the Etihad next week knowing they thrashed Real Madrid in the home leg of the semi-final last year.
I don't know we let the lead slip at 3-2 and Madrid did what Madrid do, but on Home ground just to have 38% possession says a lot.

We can do it but we need to be on our A game and defend a tad better although they did score 2 deflected goals.

Sky Sports

Player ratings

Man City: Ortega (6), Akanji (5), Gvardiol (7), Dias (6), Stones (6), Rodri (6), Kovacic (6), Silva (7), Foden (8), Haaland (6), Grealish (6).

Subs: Julian Alvarez (n/a).

Player of the match: Phil Foden.

Manchester Evening News
Player ratings

Man City: Ortega (7), Akanji (6), Gvardiol (7), Dias (7), Stones (8), Rodri (5), Kovacic (5), Bernardo (6), Foden (8), Haaland (5), Grealish (7).

Subs: Julian Alvarez (n/a).

22:20

'What a game'​

Manchester City defender Josko Gvardiol speaking to TNT Sports:

"What a game. First time for me to play here at this stadium, amazing atmosphere and we take the result and look forward to the game at home.

"Last season I faced them [Real Madrid] with RB Leipzig and this is a different team. I enjoyed playing, we knew it would be difficult but that's our quality to play with the ball and without it too."

On two deflected goals: "This is football. It happens. We need to be focussed after and try to come back in the game which we did. Good result in the end.

"Simple, control the ball. What we do the best and that's all. Try to keep the ball and be dangerous.

"Happy for my first goal for Man City. Especially against a great opponent. Happy. First touch was not that good but in the end I thought well I'm just going to hit it and see what happens.

"First we have Luton on Saturday so we need to focus on that first."

22:30

'City will be favourites now'​

Chris Waddle
Ex-Newcastle winger on BBC Radio 5 Live

You have got to say Manchester City will now be favourites going back to the Etihad, as not many teams get anything from there. They will be confident I'm sure.

Don't write Real Madrid off though, they have players that can hurt you, players that are so unpredictable.

22:41

'This team has come a long way'​

Manchester City's Phil Foden, speaking to TNT Sports about his injury:
"Just got a bad dead leg at the end, time to recover before next games so hopefully I can.

"For the fans it must've been one of the best games they could've watched. Two great teams with the best attackers in the world. What the fans want to see and plenty of goals."

On going an early goal down: "It didn't change the game-plan but sometimes you score too early I believe in that sometimes. They responded well with two quick goals. But this team has come a long way we don't put our heads down we know we can come from behind. It's a great team to be a part of.

"With the possession we had they got a bit tired and there was a bit more space for me to come inside, as time went on the game seemed to open up a bit more. We grew into the game and we had some chances in the second half. Happy to make the most of my chance. Fantastic result to come here and do that."

On knowing goal would go in as soon as he struck it: "I did, I felt a sweet connection with it. It's something I practice in training scoring on the edge of the area."

Disappointed not to see out the win? "Bit disappointed to go 3-2 up and not control it a bit more, we didn't keep the ball off the goal kick and they scored with a fantastic strike. We can't dwell on it there's so many positives to take."

22:50

'We will take 3-3'​

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola, speaking to TNT Sports:
"We started really well but this is so difficult to come here, they defend really well and the pace they have up front is really amazing. We were a bit anxious with the ball in the first half we lost a lot of balls and when that happens the team are so difficult to play against. The second half we showed incredible personality in the way we played. To come back from two or three would be difficult in Manchester. We played with composure, two fantastic goals. At the end Madrid, 77 minutes in this stadium they can do it. 3-3 we take it and we have to win the next game to get to the semi-final."

On deflected goals: "I don't believe much in the lucky or unlucky in football."

On half-time chat: "Be more calm, move less, be safer with the ball and attack outside the areas. Be exactly what we talked about. I said it's 45 minutes then 90 minutes so a lot of minutes left to play. Sometimes you want to be crazy but they did really well."

On Josko Gvardiol: "We were lucky he is with us and he could play today otherwise it would be difficult because we didn't have players. The way he played was amazing, he played really really good. He's a lovely guy so we're really pleased to have him and score too."

On Phil Foden injury: "A knock. He was grumpy with me for making the substitutions but he made a fantastic goal.

"Next week we have our people, our people are there and we need all of them, the energy to beat the kings of this competition. We will go for it in Manchester with our people."

22:55

'The game had absolutely everything!'​

Chris Waddle
Ex-Newcastle winger on BBC Radio 5 Live

The game had absolutely everything!

Both teams showed how physical and competitive they can be. The pace of the first half was electric and then City took control, Madrid changes things and got themselves back in it after going behind again.

At times both teams showed their ability to go through the gears. Each set of players know when to slow the game down and then all of a sudden it is turn the turbo on and up the tempo and fly forward.