Real Football Real Fans | Page 2 | Vital Football

Real Football Real Fans

Skullduggery Pleasan - 5/2/2018 13:02

According to the ifollow section on the OS "Wherever you are in the world, register with iFollow today for exclusive content and live match coverage. You won't miss any of the action!"

I am in the UK which unless I am mistaken is part of the world.

Admittedly that could be better worded, but even in the UK, you can register with iFollow, you just can't use it to watch the games live. As far as I'm aware, for UK users, the service is basically the same as the old Gillsworld service, i.e. live commentary on matches, highlights afterwards, plus video interviews, etc.

Vambo, on that page there's also the following:

------------------------
Match Pass
Choose a match and watch it live in HD

Live match video*
Live audio commentary**
Full match replay*
Match Highlights
Exclusive matchday content
Receive the weekly club newsletter ?
Full video archive
?6.00

Availability and pricing may vary per match
Purchase available from match centre
---------------------------------

Alderman, I'm not sure if it's always been there, but I see they've now added a comment about not being able to combine the video with the audio commentary - "**Live Audio commentary cannot be used to accompany the live video experience".

Seeing as you can't actually have commentary on at the same time, I'd like to know exactly what difference there is between a "live video experience" (God I hate that word, in that kind of context at least, marketing bullshit at its finest) and a plain and simple "live video". I never did get around to firing off an email to them on the subject of combining the video and commentary, I think it's about time I did.

EFL statement in May 2017 made it clear that there will soon be a whole lot more available via iFollow, to video subscribers. The wording (offering clubs an opportunity) suggests that individual clubs may need to make/agree decisions - financial percentages, maybe, prior to setting up the process. It will probably cost the punters a bit more but I suspect there will be sufficient takers to make it all worthwhile; it`s simply moving with the times, isn`t it?

EFL Statement:

"In addition, and in what is another first for English football, the EFL will be offering its Clubs the opportunity to live-stream in the UK and Ireland any league match via their respective iFollow (or equivalent) service that takes place outside the blocked hours of 14.45-17.15 on Saturday afternoons and that is not broadcast live on Sky Sports. Sky Sports will have the right to stream the same Championship fixtures to subscribers across their interactive and digital services.

Games in the Checkatrade Trophy will also be available for live-streaming in the UK and Ireland via iFollow (or equivalent service). iFollow was launched earlier this year and gives supporters overseas the ability to watch their team on match days alongside providing thousands of fans based in the UK the opportunity to listen to audio commentary".

It appears that EFL are making the UK ifollow video feed available from 2019/20. However, I recall iFollow indicating that Checkatrade matches will be streamed live in the UK from 2018/19, but I may well be wrong about that.

LancsGordoRoad - 6/2/2018 10:48

It appears that EFL are making the UK ifollow video feed available from 2019/20. However, I recall iFollow indicating that Checkatrade matches will be streamed live in the UK from 2018/19, but I may well be wrong about that.

They already streamed the Checkatrade matches live in the UK this season, didn't they? Or was the Oxford game some kind of one-off trial run?

madrid_gill - 6/2/2018 11:15
They already streamed the Checkatrade matches live in the UK this season, didn't they? Or was the Oxford game some kind of one-off trial run?

Yes Madrid, it was. Though it was more of a one-off sequence as games after that round were also available on the same basis. IFollow indicated it was a trial run.