Reading - Past Encounters | Vital Football

Reading - Past Encounters

My first Reading away match was in October 1973. We were 8th in the Fourth Division at the time and Reading were second so it was a decent point in a 0-0 draw.

Terry Cooper had been left out of the side in favour of Tommy Spencer, and believe it or not there some at the time who thought Sam Ellis should have been the one left out instead.

Percy Freeman was in the Reading side after having been sold to them by Graham Taylor midway through the previous season.

Reading away.jpg

Not many meetings in 'Berks'

homehgawayagcompgatematchdate
READING4LINCOLN0#35,35727/04/62
READING0LINCOLN1#44,66325/03/72
READING1LINCOLN1#44,67920/09/72
READING0LINCOLN0#47,28213/10/73
READING1LINCOLN0#44,38811/01/75
READING1LINCOLN1#415,90010/04/76
READING1LINCOLN2#34,41702/04/77
READING3LINCOLN2#33,21905/12/81
READING1LINCOLN1#32,68329/01/83
READING1LINCOLN1#33,93802/03/85
READING0LINCOLN2#35,01212/03/86
READING2LINCOLN1~28,69428/11/98

My first Reading away match was in October 1973. We were 8th in the Fourth Division at the time and Reading were second so it was a decent point in a 0-0 draw.

Terry Cooper had been left out of the side in favour of Tommy Spencer, and believe it or not there some at the time who thought Sam Ellis should have been the one left out instead.

Percy Freeman was in the Reading side after having been sold to them by Graham Taylor midway through the previous season.

View attachment 72503
Ian Branfoot was manager of (top of the table) Reading in 1986 when the (relegation-bound) Imps won 2 - 0 . His programme notes refer to a friendship with City manager George Kerr dating from the 70's

Last edited:
I remember a game at a cold Sincil Bank in the 74-75 season I think? A 1-1 draw which we rescued with a late equaliser to keep our unbeaten home record intact. I chiefly remember it for their keeper being Steve D'eath and he was superb, making some very acrobatic saves that impressed 10 year old me a great deal...

I remember a game at a cold Sincil Bank in the 74-75 season I think? A 1-1 draw which we rescued with a late equaliser to keep our unbeaten home record intact. I chiefly remember it for their keeper being Steve D'eath and he was superb, making some very acrobatic saves that impressed 10 year old me a great deal...
Yes, a Friday night game in early December 1974. Colin Symm equalised 8 minutes from the end. It was one of the games Ken Hill played in who we had got on loan from Gillingham to cover for Sam Ellis who was suspended. He was up against Percy Freeman who was still with Reading.

Excellent 'keeper was Steve Death. Bizarrely was only 5'7" tall.

I was there Jan 83. Our last week at the top of the table I believe.
Yes, we slipped to second after the following Tuesday night when Cardiff won to go top when we didn't have a game. Although they lost the following Saturday another 1-1 away draw for us at Orient wasn't enough to go back above them and it was a slow decline then.

Yes, we slipped to second after the following Tuesday night when Cardiff won to go top when we didn't have a game. Although they lost the following Saturday another 1-1 away draw for us at Orient wasn't enough to go back above them and it was a slow decline then.

I was at the Reading game, we still had hopes, but a 0-3 reverse in a midweek game at home go Pompey in February was pretty deflating. Never forgiven Pompey for that night.

Went to Elm Park just once - for the 2-1 victory in the 1976/77 season. Dennis Leigh was the unlikely scorer of our first goal, his first one for us after 4 years as an Imp.

Went to Elm Park just once - for the 2-1 victory in the 1976/77 season. Dennis Leigh was the unlikely scorer of our first goal, his first one for us after 4 years as an Imp.
He'd scored his first goal for the club two games previously in a 4-0 home win over Gillingham.

After all that time he'd suddenly gone goal crazy with two in three games!