Rate the Ref | Vital Football

Rate the Ref

Totally agree, let the game flow, didn't give any soft free kicks, told players from both teams to get up if they went down easily.

Only major decision was the red card which was an absolute stone waller and probably the most straight forward red, he'll give in his career. Didn't needlessly pull out the yellows like a lot of referees do and had full control of the game and didn't see much moaning from either sides players.

No complaints from me today - although I have been very critical of most of the ones we've had this season. What impressed me most, was even though Jordan Jones protested that the guy shouldn't go, the referee applied the letter of the law. It was definitely a second "yellow" and therefore he had no choice but to send the guy off. Most of the plonkers we've had this season would have realised he'd already been booked and given him a "stern" final warning. I also thought that the number 17 (I think) was lucky not to pick up a second yellow for the number of times he brought Jones down - but I'll let the ref off that one!

I thought he did well and he had absolutely no option in my opinion to issue a red. Wellens berated the full back when he came off because it was stupid to risk that on a booking.
I wouldn’t expect Maloney to do this as no manager does but why do managers not praise refs when they’ve had a good game? Surely it would make sense to as then when you complain about a referee’s performance, there would be more balance. No one ever seems to do it though.