Rate the ref v Wycombe Wanderers (away) | Vital Football

Rate the ref v Wycombe Wanderers (away)

Jamesimp

Vital Squad Member
Tough game Saturday as we travel to Wycombe and the emphasis at last turns back to on field matters, in the middle we have the fairly familiar face of Chris Sarginson, if you have the chance to watch the game please post your thoughts and rating below. Here is the write up from Jules https://lincoln.vitalfootball.co.uk/you-dont-know-what-youre-doing-wycombe-wanderers-v-lincoln-city/

Tony Harrington (W) 8.23
Darren Bond (L) 7.68
Michael Salisbury (L) 7.30
Andy Haines (W) 7.21
Lee Swabey (W) 7.08
Stephen Martin (L) 4.48
Craig Hicks (L) 3.28

1/10

His performance is NOT the reason we lost today but the absolutely shocking decision to not stop play just before our goal was beyond belief. 2 potential serious head injuries ignored resulting in their player lying prostrate on the ground for 10 minutes whilst he's treated. You could see from that moment that he knew he had made an horrendous mistake and from that moment he was no longer in control of the game as his subsequent decisions were tainted by that incident he got horribly wrong

2/10. Not the reason we lost, but the reason we couldn’t get back into it.

Until the 60th minute he wasn’t too bad. Didn’t give a penalty to us which replays show he should have done, fell for their strikers theatricals every time and let play on after O’Connor was fouled and injured. But we were too busy not helping ourselves to be too concerned by his performance.

Our goal - looks like what happened is clash of heads between Andrade and Bloomfield caused Bloomfield’s head to snap back and cause a neck injury. The ref’s only excuse can be he thought Bloomfield was just trying to buy a free kick to relieve the danger as he wasn’t unconscious. This caused a player with a neck injury to be at risk of being trampled by Akinde or jumped on by Allsop. This is what all the diving and play acting has put at risk. Hopefully more than a couple managers pull their players up on it but somehow I doubt it.

We should never have been allowed to play on.

After this he s**t himself, he knew it was a mistake and was determined to make up for it so gave us nothing.

Walker brought down from behind when through on the left - no
Akinfenwa’s constant shoving - nope
Walker’s goal - let’s just say offside
Connolly fouled in the centre - nada
They go down after a fair challenge - free kick
Akinde .. - just flag him offside.
Samuel handball - non
It was every decision.

Like I said at the start of my rant, he didn’t lose it today but he stopped us getting back into it. Lucky for him first 60 mins weren’t terrible

...This is what all the diving and play acting has put at risk. Hopefully more than a couple managers pull their players up on it but somehow I doubt it.

Excellent point. Referees get all the blame for either not spotting dives, or calling dives where there wasn't a dive (Grealish last week). But the fault lies with players and coaches for putting referees in that position.

And DC's tactical goalkeeper injury, which re-surfaced against Everton, should also be called out for what it is.

Walker brought down from behind when through on the left - no
Akinfenwa’s constant shoving - nope
Walker’s goal - let’s just say offside
Connolly fouled in the centre - nada
They go down after a fair challenge - free kick
Akinde .. - just flag him offside.
Samuel handball - non
It was every decision.

You missed one. Anderson lets the ball run and fools the left back. Left back clatters him at speed. Free kick awarded to Wycombe.

I won't mark the guy as I don't like the concept of this feature. But I'll repeat what I said on the match thread, which was that after our goal he spent the rest of the game making up for it, and that's the worst thing a referee can do, it's fundamentally dishonest.

He wasn't that bad during the first hour. We tactically fouled as much as they did. E.g. Shacks near the half way line holding on, to stop their forward getting the run on him.

Their guys play acting early on probably influenced his woeful indecision for the head injury. After that, having seen the severity of the injury he was shocked and in meltdown. Virtually everything decisionwise went for them after that. Not right, but we might have expected other refs to do likewise. It was like balancing up a dubious penalty decision, but on a grand scale.

We didn't lose the game because of the ref though. We lost it through some very basic defensive lapses and a failure to compete in midfield.

2/10. Was fine for the first half when he didn't have any hard decisions to make. Once the Imps goal incident happened he lost whatever courage he had and made so many bad decisions. It wasn't the reason we lost but it certainly didn't help the game in any sense.