Rate the ref v Burton Albion | Vital Football

Rate the ref v Burton Albion

Jamesimp

Vital Squad Member
Lincoln are back on the road Saturday with the short trip to Burton Albion, in the middle is Ben Toner which possibly explains why he was switched from the F A Cup replay against Ipswich, for the eds take on it click here https://lincoln.vitalfootball.co.uk/shouldve-gone-to-specsavers-burton-albion-v-lincoln-city/

James Linnington (D) 8.50
Tony Harrington (W) 8.23
Joshua Smith (L) 7.81
Darren Bond (L) 7.68
Anthony Backhouse (L) 7.55
Ollie Yates (L) 7.40
Michael Salisbury (L) 7.30
Andy Haines (W) 7.21
Lee Swabey (W) 7.08
Marc Edwards (L) 6.79
Kevin Johnson (D) 6.75
Andy Baines (L) 6.17
Tom Neild (L) 6.17
Ross Joyce (D) 5.94
Brett Huxtable (W) 5.32
Chris Pollard (L) 5.14
Stephen Martin (L) 4.48
Craig Hicks (L) 3.28
Chris Sarginson (L) 2.14
Carl Boyeson (L) 0.42

I will start this off with a 5/10
Not horrendously terrible but very whistle happy with many challenges penalised which seemed perfectly legal
Interesting that he booked Hesketh for simulation but then did nothing when the Burton player went down holding his face after a challenge by Akinde which as nothing was given must also have been simulation with the intention of having an opponent sent off
No major issues just petty is perhaps the right descriptive

Last edited:
I thought he was poor from start to finish, he didn't affect the result but gave us very little

4/10

Ben Toner must be one of the fittest referees to referee L1 matches.
Unfortunately he is one of the referees least fit to referee a L1 match.

Seems sure any physical contact is a foul.

Looking at him, he was the little lad who never got a kick, so gave up at about 12 and became a referee - with the aim of making football, the nice gentle game, he would have preferred to play.

It wasn't one of his worst performances but it certainly was not in the good category.
2/10 - 1 for being fit and 1 for having a very crisp parting.

Must be me then. I can’t stand the guy but yesterday I thought, judging him by his own standards, he is getting better and got a few things right. Unfortunately we have to judge him more by accepted standards of refereeing! However, he is also far too finicky and doesn’t like the physical side of the game. Needs to let things flow a bit more. He also still has a downer on Lincoln - the amount of times he gave Burton FKs but not Lincoln for the same offences, particularly in the first half, was laughable.
I’ll give him a generous 4/10.

Thankfully his whistle happy non contact style of doing didn’t cost us for once as he had best game being in charge of a Lincoln match since the Ipswich.
Can't believe the league paper gave 8/10!
5/10 for me

3. 1 Mark for no ridiculous penalties. 1 Mark for no numb nuts red cards. 1 mark for getting the injury time right. The rest was his usual ineptitude, random yellow cards, strange free kicks or non free kick. How does he keep on the list!

7/10. I thought he was pretty good and got most decisions spot on. Didn't get duped by the divers, Hesketh included. Looked in control and had the respect of the players and both managers.

I will start this off with a 5/10
Not horrendously terrible but very whistle happy with many challenges penalised which seemed perfectly legal
Interesting that he booked Hesketh for simulation but then did nothing when the Burton player went down holding his face after a challenge by Akinde which as nothing was given must also have been simulation with the intention of having an opponent sent off
No major issues just petty is perhaps the right descriptive

He didn't give a free kick against Akinde. He stopped play for a head injury and started with a drop ball. Good refereeing, spot on decision.

He didn't give a free kick against Akinde. He stopped play for a head injury and started with a drop ball. Good refereeing, spot on decision.

Ah fair enough. From my vantage all I could see was one of theirs going down holding his face after the challenge then hoping back up pretty quickly. I'll give him that one based on your better assessment

7/10. I thought he was pretty good and got most decisions spot on. Didn't get duped by the divers, Hesketh included. Looked in control and had the respect of the players and both managers.
Can't disagree with any of that ... a 7/10 from me too.