Rate the Ref: Home to Stevenage 2.3.2024 | Vital Football

Rate the Ref: Home to Stevenage 2.3.2024

sedgleyimp

Vital Champions League
Robert Madley was the man in powder blue today.
How do you think he did
Comments and votes out of 10 please

FINAL AVERAGE 5.55

Last edited:
I actually though he was a little underneath his normal good performance today. Nothing major, just seemed a little more whistle happy than he has in the past. I'll go for a bang average 6 which for him is below his normal level.

Robert Madley in my opinion today was a little down on his usual high standards. If we had had a less experienced ref today we could have ended up with 10 men and maybe should have. 7

Not up to his usual standard, too much whistle, breaking up play, fell for the other lots tactics of stopping flowing footi, at least he booked Evans but whats new. Could have sent Erhahon off for two yellows but spoke to him instead. The other lot were baiting him.

Robert Madley in my opinion today was a little down on his usual high standards. If we had had a less experienced ref today we could have ended up with 10 men and maybe should have. 7
I’m all for being fair and even handed but it’s going too far to beat ourselves up about one or two incidents of our players being less than saintly when Stevenage from the first minute were diving, niggling, shirt pulling, whining to the ref and generally trying to gain an unfair advantage, all to a far greater extent than ourselves and other teams do. Madley consistently failed to crack down on this.

Where I was a bit confused was he called Piergianni over to have a word with him, my assumption was it was about Stevenage persistent fouling after only about 20 minutes but then seemed to not bother.
Whilst I would have been calling for a 2nd yellow if Erahon had been an opposition player I think probably it was a sensible bit of refereeing, there’s supposed to be a higher threshold for 2nd yellows and he realised who it was unlike Fleetwood ref .
Wasn’t as good as previous but I don’t think the players made it easy for him though

Their lad could have gone for his blatant hit on Jensen. He knew exactly what he was doing. Erahon probably should have too.
Some good and some not so. I'd still take him every week above most.

5 - Played the advantage, didn't show a second yellow to Erhahon or House where some refs would have done so. Seemed to be fooled by the oppositions tricks and should have booked their 23 after numerous fouls. Seen worse but have seen better.

6/10. I think he had a pre-conceived idea of how the game would pan out and dealt with it accordingly. Kept the worst stuff under control apart from two or three incidents where he could have been stronger but really think he wanted to keep 22 on the pitch rather than potentially lose control. Really wish Ethan and Ben would learn to curb their constant moaning to the refs - it could well end in a red at some point. We knew exactly what to expect from them today and weren’t disappointed. Tough game to ref and I think he did OK.

5 from me. Am I the only one that thought Ethans was nothing more than a foul. From what I saw he got along side the played and nudged him. He didn't trip him his arms didn't come out in a push, it was nothing different to what Stevenage did throughout the game without punishment. The free kick he gave against House was diabolical IMO. How can a player stood outside the area be classed as stopping the keeper from being allowed to kick the ball?

Well below his usual standards. When you consistently don't have any idea what the ref constitutes as a foul or not a foul from numerous similar incidents, it is the ref who has a problem with consistency. Overall I thought he favoured them, they will point to the Erhahon push as the one incident where we got the rub of the green. 4

Let's be honest, the reason Madeley was refereeing yesterday was because it was going to be a bloody hard game to referee.
And he is a good ref.

Some of the refs "in charge" of recent games would have turned that into a complete shambles.

The Erhahon foul was probably a yellow card but was his first dissent card almost a team yellow or a gentle warning to shut up. Who knows. If you add up the 2 offences was it worth a game changing red. No.

So letter of law or sensible decision??

There is no doubt a lot of refs we had would have had the red out and their day would have been made.

Hardest one to rate this season. Consistent in so far as almost all shirt pulling went unpunished, Mitchell needs to be careful in our box in this respect. Had a word with their captain when Bishop was being fouled every time he got the ball. Didn’t send their player off for the challenge on Jensen nor Erhahon off for what would usually be a ‘given’ second yellow.
Didn’t affect the score, difficult game for any ref 6.5

6/10.
Difficult game to referee, lots of niggly clashes and calculated fouls. Expected a red card or two during the second half but kept control enough to keep it 11 each. Nudge from Ethan could have been a second yellow so expect his assessor marked him down but it would have been 2 soft yellows