Rate the Ref : Home to Rotherham 14.9.2021 | Vital Football

Rate the Ref : Home to Rotherham 14.9.2021

sedgleyimp

Vital Champions League
Samuel Barrott was in the middle tonight. How do you think he did from viewing either in person or via IFollow. Comments and votes out of 10 please

I was a little frustrated by his whistle happy performance. Not a difficult game to referee but that one instance of not playing advantage when we had a clear 2 on 1 down the left was especially annoying.

A generous 5 from me

Thought he did ok, could have booked loads but kept his cards in check, tried to apply the new 'rules' letting tackles go , missed one very poor advantage to us but generally let the game flow as much as he could, 7.

6 - I thought he wasn’t too bad initially, giving the game a chance by letting things go, etc - until that awful failure to allow the Imps to play on. Not only was it a shocking decision but it actually directly changed the flow of the game for a few minutes and gave Rotherham the initiative just when we were starting to build up a (limited) head of steam.

At least he was consistent at not dishing the yellows. It possibly helped a physical Rotherham side more than us but it's the same for both sides and we caught on ourselves quite a bit in the second half. The advantage mess up was annoying, although he did his best not to buy any of the diving and ear ache.

Overall some plusses and minuses so probably a 6 is fair.

6 one real howler when he didn't play the advantage, but as I was sat behind the away dugout they were far more unhappy with him than we were.
It seemed they had one bloke employed just to bend the ear of the fourth official, poor lad.

Last edited:
He didn’t fall for too many soft fouls and let and awful lot go which I don’t mind as long as he does it evenly, which he did, though that favoured the more “robust” side. Frustrating lack of advantage played as has been mentioned. Probably a yellow card short for persistent fouling
5.5/10

5. I don’t like to see a fussy ref but some of the stuff he let go was ridiculous - poor for both teams. The non advantage was a proper howler

Definitely 7 for trying to keep the game flowing. Played advantage when he could except for that one error when he stopped for the foul on Fiorini. Was not fooled for a moment by Rotherham's tendency to drop to the grass with the slightest of touches - Smith notably did it twice in five minutes and should have been booked for it.

alot of heavy physicality, he got the game sorted, and with the new rules thought he kept control very well a good 8 for me.

Difficult, good and bad in parts. The missed advantage could have been a real game changer. Thought he should maybe have clamped down on the slow timing, when we were behind.
I know every team nicks a bit at throws. Gaining 10 yards virtually every time is just taking the piss!
6/10

Difficult, good and bad in parts. The missed advantage could have been a real game changer. Thought he should maybe have clamped down on the slow timing, when we were behind.
I know every team nicks a bit at throws. Gaining 10 yards virtually every time is just taking the piss!
6/10

I don't mind 10 yards. sometimes it looked closer to 20! And then the only time he pulled it back that I could see was for one of our throws.

I don't mind 10 yards. sometimes it looked closer to 20! And then the only time he pulled it back that I could see was for one of our throws.
He struggled with distance. He had the wall about 6 yards for our free kick late in the second half. I wouldn't mind, but the bloody mark for the corners was right by him for a reference!