Rate the Ref: Home to Exeter 30 July 2022 | Vital Football

Rate the Ref: Home to Exeter 30 July 2022

sedgleyimp

Vital Champions League
Back by popular demand (possibly) for 2022/23

Andy Haines was the man with the whistle today. How do you think he did.
Comments and votes out of 10 please

7, didnt have much to shout at him for other than letting their goalie waste a bit of time. (i missed the handball though which may have influenced my score had i seen it).

5.5/10 Looked unfit for me, other than that didn't take much notice when players went to ground easy. Could of done more to stop Exeter constant time wasting, if you look at Sorensons long shot Sweeney immediately kicked the ball as far away as he could, I reckon by then he could already of been on a yellow for pulling back Scully.
On a side note apparently the offside law has changed, you don't become active until you physically touch the ball, so the free kick isn't from where the player was stood when the ball was first played but where he was stood when he first touched it?

I'm going for a par score of 6. Some comments about a handball which I honestly can't say either way as first I heard was listening in the car on the way back home!. Reasonably competent is the best description for me

I'm going for a par score of 6. Some comments about a handball which I honestly can't say either way as first I heard was listening in the car on the way back home!. Reasonably competent is the best description for me
TBF I reckon they had a good shout for a penalty.

6.5, his reputation was a bit dodgy, but he had decent game, in control and got the important decisions right

To think a statement was released earlier this week to say referees are being actively encouraged to discipline timewasting, he certainly seemed to turn a blind eye to it.

5/10.

5.5/10 Looked unfit for me, other than that didn't take much notice when players went to ground easy. Could of done more to stop Exeter constant time wasting, if you look at Sorensons long shot Sweeney immediately kicked the ball as far away as he could, I reckon by then he could already of been on a yellow for pulling back Scully.
On a side note apparently the offside law has changed, you don't become active until you physically touch the ball, so the free kick isn't from where the player was stood when the ball was first played but where he was stood when he first touched it?
No was same last season I think. I think the phrase is when they become active i.e. interfering with play - as I commented on match thread very noticeable today

The fella next to me reckoned they should have had a pen for it. My eyes aren't what they were so couldn't say myself.
Thought the ref did ok, guaranteed we will have far worse in the coming months! 6/10

The best bit of reffing (is that a word) I saw yesterday was in Bradford/Doncaster sending off the play actor.

7.5/10 Did ok, seemed to have a decent sense of humour with the players for the first game of the season. Let a bit go, book came out for the professional fouls. Exeter’s time wasting was no worse than ours would have been. By them taking long goal kicks it probably meant we had a quicker chance of getting possession than if the Keeper had rolled the ball to one of his defenders.

I think he got most things right, if a little lenient at times, got a corner decision wrong I think when he gave a goal kick and was poor with allowing the time wasting
6/10

7. Thought he was fine and didn't buy any of the diving (by two Lincoln players in particular). Should have clamped down on some of the timewasting but Exeter were not that bad. Ran the game well, correctly stopping a couple of times for head injuries. Gave a goal kick instead of a blatant corner to Lincoln, but that was his only real error.