Rate the Ref: Home to Exeter 17.02.2024 | Vital Football

Rate the Ref: Home to Exeter 17.02.2024

sedgleyimp

Vital Champions League
Matthew Corlett was the man in the middle today
How do you think he did
Comments and votes out of ten s'il vous plait.

FINAL AVERAGE 6.045

Last edited:
Thought he did ok but seemed to lose his way a bit towards the end and then seemed to play extra added time
6.5/10

Reasonable, kept his cards to a minimum , but what about the foul on Moylan , would have been a sending off for two bookings, 7 - 1 for missing that, 6.

Got the Moylan call completely wrong imo. He did look for a reaction from his assistant on the Co-op side - there was none, before he bottled it.

A big call which on another day could have affected the game outcome. Overall though he did let the players get on with the challenges which I like to see in a ref., so even though I disagree with his take on the Moylan incident, I will still give him a 6.

Poor ref.
Just as an example... O'Connor kept getting in front of the Exeter attacker to win the header...yet the ref was happy that 95% of the time, their forward was holding and pulling O'Connor all over the place with no intention or possibility to play the ball.

Not that defenders need any protection as Jacko will tell you!

Got the Moylan call completely wrong imo. He did look for a reaction from his assistant on the Co-op side - there was none, before he bottled it.

A big call which on another day could have affected the game outcome. Overall though he did let the players get on with the challenges which I like to see in a ref., so even though I disagree with his take on the Moylan incident, I will still give him a 6.
Pretty much this. Thought the Moylan decision was totally wrong (no reason for him to take a dive, he's through on goal). But, cutting him some slack, maybe he needed help from the lino if he wasn't clear on it?

6/10. Thought he did OK, until the last 10 or 15 minutes when he just seemed to switch off and gave nothing. Could have affected the eventual result. Don’t understand the Moylan incident - either it’s a foul and free kick (with a second yellow/red) for McSweeney, or he has to book Moylan for simulation. Why would Moylan go down, outside the box, when he was clean through on goal?

Early in the first half O’Connor was competing for a high ball in the Exeter penalty box and received a blow to the back of his head which resulted in a free kick being awarded. The incident occurred 2ft inside the penalty box but the free kick was awarded outside the box, a strange decision. We subsequently hit the free kick wide but it should have been awarded as a penalty. The Moylan incident was also a significant error so the Ref gets a 5 from me.

8. Bang on right decision when Moylan fell over. Got just about everything right except the foul on O ‘ Connor for the free kick was inside the box but that should have been the Lino’s decision as he was in line

6/10. Thought he did OK, until the last 10 or 15 minutes when he just seemed to switch off and gave nothing. Could have affected the eventual result. Don’t understand the Moylan incident - either it’s a foul and free kick (with a second yellow/red) for McSweeney, or he has to book Moylan for simulation. Why would Moylan go down, outside the box, when he was clean through on goal?
He lost balance and fell over, it happens. It’s not always a foul or a dive. That’s from watching it live, I’ll be surprised if my view changes after watching it ten times on replay and slowed down to walking pace.

I'm plumping for an okay 6. Strange early decision with the O'Connor head 'foul'. Looked just like a clash of heads rather than a foul as play went on for quite a while before it was stopped which I assumed was because of head injury protocols. Footage seen after the game shows the clash was inside the area, but it was possibly not that obvious in the nano-second refs get to make such decisions so I'll give him a bit of leeway on it.
Same with the Moylan incident. From my vantage in Upper 1, their defender did catch his trailing leg but Jack went down a bit theatrically and in stages making it less obviously the foul it was. The referee looked directly at the linesman on the Co-op for any help or a flag and didn't get one so again I'll give him some slack as it was a decision more for the lino than the ref.
Otherwise not too bad.

7 He was fine and fortunately the two discussions mentioned had no bearing on the result. Moylan appeared to go down very easily. Most in our area thought the Paudie incident was a clash of heads and were surprised when a free kick was given.