Rate the Ref: Home to Barnsley 25.11.2023 | Vital Football

Rate the Ref: Home to Barnsley 25.11.2023

sedgleyimp

Vital Champions League
Ross Joyce was the man in yellow today
How do you think he did
Comments and votes out of 7 please

For me he was fine. Took his time over our penalty but you could see he was going to give it. The second challenge later on in the half I can't really say as I was at the other end of the ground. Didn't fall for the antics of Cotter looking for a free kick with a swan dive. Kept the cards in his pocket until late on which helped the game flow. Did he, and more decisively, the lino miss a late foul on Mido just inside the box though?? I think he did look at the lino who didn't flag.
He can have a 7

8, got the pen right and missed another to us in injury time, but kept the game flowing and added to a good game.
Thought Ross Joyce was pretty poor on recent visits but has upped his game.

Last edited:
I thought he overall was actually pretty good.
Worked on the principle that most players that went to ground were trying to buy a free
kick.

4.9/7 (7/10 in decimal)

7. One of those refs who used to make the heart sink when you saw his name as ref, but he's been much better recently and this was up to that standard.

Got the penalty right, theatrical or considered in giving the penalty? Think the latter. Think he got the late challenge on Shodipo right too, and possibly just on the edge of the box if it had been given.

Kept his cards on his pocket too.

6 Consistent but should have booked Cotter for what looked like a dive in the area. Booked Vale for us and one of their players for fouls which didn't look like card offences when others went unpunished. Shodipo should have had a spot kick at the end. Other than those he did okay.

Thought he was good, both yellows deserved. Played advantage and kept the game flowing. Not much to complain about.

7. Above average because he didn’t fall for blatant going to ground easily (diving) by both teams and kept control without waving cards about for minor offences. Gave nailed on penalty but we scored from the corner that looked an obvious goal kick to everyone else. We would have been fuming at that decision

7 - would have been 8 except for 'bottling' the Shodipo penalty decision. Having watched it again on the Extended Highlights, it seemed a very clear pen to me. Other than that, as others have said, he seems to be laying the ghost of Ross Joyce Past to bed!

Thought he was better first half than second where in my opinion got quite a few decisions wrong. 7

2. I must have been at a different game to everyone else. Thought he was dreadful, one example being a clear foul and yellow card that should have been given for a challenge on Vale near the end, but nothing given. People say he let the game flow but his interpretation of that was basically that defenders could get away with fouls but attackers couldn't. Took ages to give the pen even though it was stonewall.

7 grateful he was a 'homer' particularly in the first half. Thought at least one of the protests against him, then continued to the 4th official merited a Barnsley yellow. Having seen that he would never the less give any contact on a shielding player in a chase thought our players were not smart enough . Out of control sliding/lunges were missed/unpunished for both teams after he'd played on. But overall a decent performance

I quite like a ref that’s not blowing for every minor infringement as it makes for a more entertaining game but he did miss several fouls that should really have been given. Possibly another pen for us or at least a free kick on the edge.
6/10

Picking up some key points from extended highlights, confirmed what thought at the time :-
A bit too lenient on some challenges.
Definitely a corner leading to the equaliser, looked that way live and "Inside Imps" angle (and Barnsley defenders' reaction - low fives and setting up) confirmed.
Challenge on Shodipo outside the box - but probably a free kick.

Got the big stuff largely right. 7