Ranking our Managers (in your lifetime) | Page 2 | Vital Football

Ranking our Managers (in your lifetime)

There's delusion, then there's this.

We got rid of anyone we could in the summer, the only ones staying being those who we couldn't flog, or those earning tuppence ... and yet somehow, we were a top 6 squad at the start of the season ?! ... but enough, I've discussed this to death with KDZ and agreed to disagree.

I have to smile when you excuse Bruce cos he lost Palacios, but somehow don't afford the same leniency to Maloney who lost Keane, Whatmough, Naylor, etc.

Qué Sera Sera.

Edit - the bold bit ... for clarity.
Sorry, I didn't realise they were all sold in January, mid-season...

Sorry, I didn't realise they were all sold in January, mid-season...
I was simply pointing out that Maloney lost far more players than Bruce did, and was left with dregs (maybe unfair, but there was a reason we couldn't offload them) kids and loans.

To have us down as a top six club, starting on -8, at the start of the season is happy clappery in the extreme.

Regardless, the point remains ... neither were able to motivate their players once they were on the beach.

You had a right strop with me last week because I made a comment that you didn't like, by all means have a pop about football or any of our opinions about the club, but all you was bothered about was spelling and commas, you do it regularly when your 'opinions' are questioned.
I have to admit that I had no recollection of a) having a strop at you, or b) playing at being the grammar police. So, I had to go searching, and this is the post to which I presume you're referring ...

Do you deliberately only half-read or mis-read stuff?

Firstly, please show where I've argued against what's in your first sentence. (Well, up until the first comma, as in effect, the whole paragraph is one long sentence!).

Secondly, the manager presumably played a part in motivating the players to do well in the "big games", so he's not completely bereft of them.

Thirdly, why aren't you happy that I'm simply apportioning blame between the players AND the manager. I'm not giving the manager a free pass ... of course he owns the recent performances ... but so do the players.

As for Gary Monk, surely it's exactly the same as us being up for it against Bolton, Blackpool, Derby, etc.
That's hardly having a strop ... and there's certainly no slagging off there.

As for accusing me of only being bothered about spelling (which wasn't mentioned in my post) and commas (the word was used once, by way of explanation), I think you're maybe running up the wrong street there.

SCM, I promise you, I'm more than happy with having my opinion questioned or challenged. Normally, this can be done without petty accusations, but not always I suppose in your case.

You never did answer the questions I put to you by the way.

Last edited:
The expectations/hope of the majority of supporters in 2008-09 was to stay up in the toughest league in the world. Maloney can say it all he wants, but that wasn’t the expectation/hope of the majority of supporters in League One this season. Maybe for you and a few others, but not the majority with this squad being a top six one on paper in August.
Really?
Everyone I know that was exactly their expectation/hope.

I have to admit that I had no recollection of a) having a strop at you, or b) playing at being the grammar police. So, I had to go searching, and this is the post to which I presume you're referring ...

That's hardly having a strop ... and there's certainly no slagging off there.

As for accusing me of only being bothered about spelling (which wasn't mentioned in my post) and commas (the word was used once, by way of explanation), I think you're maybe running up the wrong street there.

LMB, I promise you, I'm more than happy with having my opinion questioned or challenged. Normally, this can be done without petty accusations, but not always I suppose in your case.

You never did answer the questions I put to you by the way.

LMB.....bit confused here Moonay, are u saying SCM is LMB?
Oh n btw liked your latest contribution to the Mudhutter 👍
Where do we live......very subtle & a conundrum a few of us could fit into. Me, I'm more ....my own planet with loads of twaddle.

Like the link to 'we all live in a tub of margarine...well I'm assuming it was a reference / link to it.......👏👏👏

LMB.....bit confused here Moonay, are u saying SCM is LMB?
My apologies .... no, ....WBL, KDZ, SCM, LMB ... a bloke can go dyslexic responding to folk with 3 initials on here ! :LOL: Post amended.
Oh n btw liked your latest contribution to the Mudhutter 👍
Where do we live......very subtle & a conundrum a few of us could fit into. Me, I'm more ....my own planet with loads of twaddle.

Like the link to 'we all live in a tub of margarine...well I'm assuming it was a reference / link to it.......👏👏👏
(y)

I'm surprised he's (presumably reluctantly) put Martinez on. :LOL:
To be fair Ant we played some horrible football under Bob but when he changed things we had the greed leagues greatest escape in 2012 and that day in May in 2013 but the others I named ranked higher than Bob, but thats just my opinion.

To be fair Ant we played some horrible football under Bob but when he changed things we had the greed leagues greatest escape in 2012 and that day in May in 2013 but the others I named ranked higher than Bob, but thats just my opinion.
Hold on ... I've readily acknowledged that sometimes the football under Bob was too slow and laboured, but I can prioritise the good - no, excellent - stuff we played when we beat each of the top four (summat that - if I recall correctly- neither Jewell nor Bruce did ... even once) above all the poor stuff.

You are of course entitled to your opinion. (y)

No sympathy whatsoever would have been afforded to him from me, as he would have still continued to play the most boring football ever to have been played by a Wigan Athletic side.
All the bad managers of the past may have had poorer records overall, or arguably had better players, but even at their worst, Toure, Malky and Joyce included, they did try to attack, and tried to win games.
I can't even remember being as bored at football matches under Martinez, and he seemed to be the one who invented this boring shite that we play at the moment.
Yesterdays formation of 3-7-0 was pathetic. We packed the mid field, yet still got over run by relegation fodder.
Fair play to PV for at least trying, and without Tickles double save and the two sitters from headers in the 2nd half it could have been even more embarrassing than that it was.
Toure & Malky yes maybe. As for Joyce, he never set the team up to attack. His football was a borefest.

Hold on ... I've readily acknowledged that sometimes the football under Bob was too slow and laboured, but I can prioritise the good - no, excellent - stuff we played when we beat each of the top four (summat that - if I recall correctly- neither Jewell nor Bruce did ... even once) above all the poor stuff.

You are of course entitled to your opinion. (y)
For the record, Paul Jewels PL record against Man City was -

Played 4
Won 4
Draw 0
Lost 0
For 10
Against 3

Granted, he wasn't as prolific against the other top teams, but that is pretty impressive.

For the record, Paul Jewels PL record against Man City was -

Played 4
Won 4
Draw 0
Lost 0
For 10
Against 3

Granted, he wasn't as prolific against the other top teams, but that is pretty impressive.
As we both know, City weren't one of the top 4 back then ... but great research though.
😉

Jewell has the worst record against the "Big 4" on the other hand. Guaranteed 3 points for them every time those first 2 seasons.

All the managers under Whelan up until the 2009 January transfer window, when Bruce was here, had the advantage of being bankrolled. As much as Paul Jewell’s success through the divisions is imbedded in the psyche of Latics fans it shouldn’t be overlooked that he struggled badly in that second season, only just avoided relegation, and decided he couldn’t take the club any further.

Martinez came as manager with the understanding he would have to work under financial constraints that had not been imposed on his predecessors. His first season produced some embarrassing results and so did the start of the second but was in the process of introducing his own signings and the results improved. At the end of his third season we played the best football of our Prem days by beating Liverpool and Arsenal away, Man Utd at home, and last but not least that first half performance against Newcastle to silence that arrogant prick Pardew.

In his last season we had the small matter of winning the FA Cup. I’m of the opinion had he not begun to prioritise the FA Cup from the Huddersfield game onwards (no complaints from me on that) we would have avoided relegation. Long term injuries to two key players, Alcaraz and Ramis, was also a major factor in that relegation.

That is why in my opinion Roberto Martinez is our best ever manager.

All the managers under Whelan up until the 2009 January transfer window, when Bruce was here, had the advantage of being bankrolled. As much as Paul Jewell’s success through the divisions is imbedded in the psyche of Latics fans it shouldn’t be overlooked that he struggled badly in that second season, only just avoided relegation, and decided he couldn’t take the club any further.

Martinez came as manager with the understanding he would have to work under financial constraints that had not been imposed on his predecessors. His first season produced some embarrassing results and so did the start of the second but was in the process of introducing his own signings and the results improved. At the end of his third season we played the best football of our Prem days by beating Liverpool and Arsenal away, Man Utd at home, and last but not least that first half performance against Newcastle to silence that arrogant prick Pardew.

In his last season we had the small matter of winning the FA Cup. I’m of the opinion had he not begun to prioritise the FA Cup from the Huddersfield game onwards (no complaints from me on that) we would have avoided relegation. Long term injuries to two key players, Alcaraz and Ramis, was also a major factor in that relegation.

Just a shame the football he promoted was as dull as dishwater and was the forerunner of this utter bilge Maloney favours.

We had great 10 minute comebacks ( Arsenal 3-2 ) also longer comebacks ( West Ham 3-2 ) and other sublime periods of footy under Bob but I maintain the 45 minutes that we produced to demolish a high flying Toon Army is the best half I've ever seen. It was just magical.

We had great 10 minute comebacks ( Arsenal 3-2 ) also longer comebacks ( West Ham 3-2 ) and other sublime periods of footy under Bob but I maintain the 45 minutes that we produced to demolish a high flying Toon Army is the best half I've ever seen. It was just magical.
Yep. Just pips the unbelievable 10 minutes in the FA Cup QF against Everton.