Radio Kent interview | Page 5 | Vital Football

Radio Kent interview

They all referenced the need for a multi-sports complex for the ongoing sustainability of the business - way before PS’s time.

I played in the indoor football facility behind the Rainham end. Played against elsey and docker once - they could both strike a ball. No fun being a keeper against them

I played in the indoor football facility behind the Rainham end. Played against elsey and docker once - they could both strike a ball. No fun being a keeper against them

There used to be a 5-a-side tournament during the week there and you’d occasionally find Gills players making ‘celebrity’ appearances. Would never be allowed today!

If you haven't seen them search tyreac24 on you tube. Some brilliant videos.

Agree. Recommend any newer fans digging out these superb montages. They are brilliantly put together and go back a long way, but in particularly from the mid 80s up to about 15 years ago, there is some really in depth highlights of seasons and even individual players. I am not sure what happened to Tyreac, but he seemed to stop about 12 years ago.

I have wasted many an evening ploughing through them on Youtube!

Well said and sensibly balanced (imo, of course). Especially so as you started in our "glory days" and it's beeen mostly downhill since. Resident expert Binman thinks 92/3 one game away from non league or 94/5 Administration was better.

Think you've generally been a bit harsh and got a bee in your bonnet about Binman/Eddie on this thread, 58. I, like you and others, know of him rather than know him, but often see him on away days (and have seen him at Kent and England cricket games too, so he's clearly dedicated all round).

I had a good chat with him on the High Speed back after the Crewe game away over a couple of beers (he alluded to his journey back and his having had a few in the the programme this week, but not his chat with me!) as I was at the rugby at Twickenham that day seeing a slightly more glorious day for England as compared to the Gills' experience at Crewe. Whilst we had both had a few, as with his interview on Radio Kent today, I thought he came across quite well and was fairly balanced in his views, albeit that he clearly wants to see Scally out, which I don't necessarily agree with (I'd be happy to see the bespectacled one go, if we had a viable alternative willing to buy him out and invest money, but there is nothing of the sort at the moment).

I agree with Buddha (and you) that in is interview today, the "we're in our worst position I've seen" type comment was a bit churlish, given his long tenure of support, when surely the near death experiences for the club in the early 90s and, even aside from that, the dross playing in front of 2-3000 people a week and just being happy to stay in the league for a number of season was surely considerably worse? I also think Eddie's comments in the RK interview which seem to suggest Scally just needs to move on and someone else come in are way too simplistic - it's not as easy as that. However, I do agree with some of Eddie's reservations about the running of the club and in particularly Scally's running of it.

However, equally, I had the privilege of being in a box on a corporate day in October and got to speak to Evans, Scally and had a very good chat with Scally's son. What I can say from all of those chats is that Scally, whilst he may do well out of the club, is totally dedicated to the club and it is very much his and his family's life, so personally, I am behind him and think he is committed to the club, even if he clearly makes mistakes and sometimes his communication leave a lot to be desired.

Think you've generally been a bit harsh and got a bee in your bonnet about Binman/Eddie on this thread, 58. I, like you and others, know of him rather than know him, but often see him on away days (and have seen him at Kent and England cricket games too, so he's clearly dedicated all round).

I had a good chat with him on the High Speed back after the Crewe game away over a couple of beers (he alluded to his journey back and his having had a few in the the programme this week, but not his chat with me!) as I was at the rugby at Twickenham that day seeing a slightly more glorious day for England as compared to the Gills' experience at Crewe. Whilst we had both had a few, as with his interview on Radio Kent today, I thought he came across quite well and was fairly balanced in his views, albeit that he clearly wants to see Scally out, which I don't necessarily agree with (I'd be happy to see the bespectacled one go, if we had a viable alternative willing to buy him out and invest money, but there is nothing of the sort at the moment).

I agree with Buddha (and you) that in is interview today, the "we're in our worst position I've seen" type comment was a bit churlish, given his long tenure of support, when surely the near death experiences for the club in the early 90s and, even aside from that, the dross playing in front of 2-3000 people a week and just being happy to stay in the league for a number of season was surely considerably worse? I also think Eddie's comments in the RK interview which seem to suggest Scally just needs to move on and someone else come in are way too simplistic - it's not as easy as that. However, I do agree with some of Eddie's reservations about the running of the club and in particularly Scally's running of it.

However, equally, I had the privilege of being in a box on a corporate day in October and got to speak to Evans, Scally and had a very good chat with Scally's son. What I can say from all of those chats is that Scally, whilst he may do well out of the club, is totally dedicated to the club and it is very much his and his family's life, so personally, I am behind him and think he is committed to the club, even if he clearly makes mistakes and sometimes his communication leave a lot to be desired.

Seems fair what you said. As I said I found some of the comments to be exaggerated and not thinking about the early 90s or mid naughties which were worse.

I got school with 3 goals in the last 15 minutes away to Leyton Orient and relegation at Wycombe.

Stoke away was fun after the full time whistle but the match was a nail biter.

It seems a bit odd to me he continues to contribute to the club programme if he feels so anti the regime....but i guess that's his call. I wonder if Scally will make a decision on that himself soon

I played there too on a Junior Gills open day. Tony Cascarino, David Smith and a couple of others versus 50 Junior Gills. Great times!!

To the best of my knowledge, Gillingham Football Club Ltd own the ground.
It’s no longer owned by a third party ltd company.
Only WayneKerr would know for sure (Scally aside)
After checking the GFC company accounts for another thread I posted this.
...so the short answer is:
GFC appears to own the ground.
BUT.....
The Accounts imply that GFC owns other property as well.
(IIRC it once owned some houses in Gordon Road)

>>>>

From Accounts May 2008
Corporate Restructuring....
"Priestfield Stadium was sold by the football club to Priestfield Developments Ltd for £10,000,000. GFC used the funds from this sale to reduce the agreed overdraft facility to £3,300,000."

Debt with Bank of Scotland was also transferred to Priestfield Developments.

The Accounts of Priestfield Developments May 2008 show:
"Bank Loans - £10,100,000"

By 2017, Priestfield Developments had been dissolved

From Accounts May 2020
Fixed Assets shown with a Net Book Value of £4,641,638 (which appears to include some other property owned by GFC for many decades)

"The stadium was valued on an alternative use basis on 31 May 2019 by C Honeywell of Lambert Smith Hampton."

But from those accounts it is not clear whether the stadium alone is valued at a mere £1,000,000 !
Link here:>
https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/00039175/filing-history

<<<<

From a mate this morning by text.....

Scally was just on radio Kent. He essentially blamed SE and covid for poor results and even said Evans should’ve gone 2 months ago! Apparently he’s also been interviewing loads of candidates already, even one before he went on air just after half 8! Oh and there was a plug at the end for fans to come out in droves tomorrow because the fans are the most important thing to survive relegation 🙄🤮
I think I could smell the bull💩 through the radio!

So, some of the highlights....

Scally seemed quite prickly and short with the Radio Kent presenter, who, TBF, was a lot more challenging than on the last QA session.

Without stating it, it is pretty clear that Evans was sacked and Scally came across as pretty negative about SE. He said that he didn't want to speak about SE (but did!); he had no option, but for Evans to go and it was his decision, and his only mistake was not doing it earlier; if he'd have stayed, we'd have been relegated and that there was a cloud over the club for several months under SE and Saturday's display demonstrated this. He said that he had never seen a happier bunch of players than on Monday at the training ground. Pretty damming!

He was asked through a Tweet by a fan whether the SL appointment was a negative one. Scally couldn't have been clearer that SL is there on a temp basis. He went as far as saying that SL had "not been appointed" and he was just helping out for Saturday's match.

He was clear that the plan was to recruit a new manager (I would have liked to have seen him asked whether SL's name was in the hat, whether SL wanted it and would be considered, but he wasn't asked this). He said that he had had 3-4 interviews already, had another today and another 3-4 more over the weekend. He said that there was a strong list of candidates and he would be looking for the new manager to start straightaway.

He said that there was also some interest in investment, but things were generally quiet during Covid and he would only entertain an offer that was right for the club and he was willing to stay on or go under a new owner.

When queried about the budget, he said there was budget for the new manager, the budget SE had this season was £300K higher than before and the highest we've had in League One.

Seems like he's cleared a few things up regarding the direction of travel re SL's role, the new manager and SE's departure.

"the budget SE had this season was £300K higher than ever before and the highest we've had in League One."

Wow, thats some statement, I've never been one to look up wages and budgets etc but if true, makes a bit of a fool of SE and his claims of a minute budget. Other managers (JED for example) have obviously done better on less.

"the budget SE had this season was £300K higher than ever before and the highest we've had in League One."

Wow, thats some statement, I've never been one to look up wages and budgets etc but if true, makes a bit of a fool of SE and his claims of a minute budget. Other managers (JED for example) have obviously done better on less.

I never believed those claims from Evans and called out the claims that we had a lower budget than Accrington, Rochdale and co as ridiculous at the time, but I do also take what Scally says with a pinch of salt.