Quality Needed | Vital Football

Quality Needed

Listening to the interview, DC not happy with what he has. Changes needed. As we said, guts and heart gets you so far and it's the minimum requirement. Quality costs.

We have needed a striker all season. Cowley has said he will not add to the squad unless there is better than we have got. Well all the free agents must be really poor if they are not better than what we have got already (something else I have said before)

NottyImp - 21/11/2017 22:00

We need quality. Quality costs money, We have money.

Discuss.

Think every team at this level needs that! I’m not convinced January is the time to be splurging a huge amount of cash tbh.

MaineRoad_96 - 21/11/2017 22:25

NottyImp - 21/11/2017 22:00

We need quality. Quality costs money, We have money.

Discuss.

Think every team at this level needs that! I’m not convinced January is the time to be splurging a huge amount of cash tbh.

The received wisdom is that January is a bad time to buy, but with the current squad to fail to do so would be to effectively write this season off. That would cost more.

I suppose the other question is who is out there.

Anyone scoring goals at the moment is going to cost lots of dosh and a replacement will be required. for the selling team. Maybe it's the Conference where the value is? Or a punt for someone out of favour, form or just someone who's out there as a punt at the moment (like Miller, but maybe not Miller based on the knobhead test).

Kristian Dennis scored 12 Chesterfield (Bottom)
Chistian Doidge scored 10 FGR (5th From Bottom)

We could do worse than get these 2

jal jal - 21/11/2017 22:42

Be realistic. No matter what we could offer these two teams, it wouldn't match what it would cost them to get relegated. Not a chance would they let them go to us unless we offered ridiculous money.

jal jal - 21/11/2017 22:42

My thoughts exactly, in theory neither club will want to sell their top scorer and be in potentially worse trouble, but Chesterfield in particular may be willing to move a player on for a good fee in early January and reinvest in their squad rather than for very little or nothing is a summer fire sale after relegation.

Tactically we set up not to lose games and play the defensive cage (a la tony pulis) so limit the options going forward whether we are home or away.
7inc goalkeeper,back 4 plus 2 defending midfielders= cage
this leaves 4 outright attacking players who still need to track back.
If the quality in that 4 is underpar then you may struggle to score goals but will avoid getting hammered regularly.(one of our main problems)

Tactics are used to suit the players you have and in our case the squad is too small and the wide players are not delivering quality into the box(harry being the key winger/scorer but even he was easy handled by Coventry.)
The call for big money spent on a striker in January is a little naive,it`s the ability to create the chances for the "new striker" which is the key issue.A striker needs service and if we give it the long punt via the back 4 there won`t be any changes.Get my drift.(harry kane would fail in our side)
The mix between workrate(it`s very important/process) and creativity needs looking at,it`s not only how many kilometers i ran in the game that counts.
I trust DC and NC to find the creativity/quality but January is not when it`s always available.

Looking at the top 7 in our league only one team is cash short(Accrington) so without money it can be achieved(last 15 games of last season accy were the form side and they have continued this year)

If we play the two defensive holding midfielders then there is no room for a midfield playmaker (could be woodyard)who links(see doyle/coventry)and plays in the widemen and delivers to runners on the defenders shoulder(green)
some of the above food for thought.
I`m not panicking MR Mannering we will settle midtable(cannot beat top sides yet) and with additions (quality widemen) and then some variation on tactics we will be ok.

Management team are committed,(remember bad times, chris sutton,paul brush,steve tilson,david holdsworth)and we will progress.
see you saturday.....theatre of dreams.

trisimp - 21/11/2017 23:08

Terry Hawkridge > Billy Knott
Different positions and the latter wasn't brought in to replace the former.

EDIT - Although I'd agree with what I think you're getting at in that Knott has shown very, very little in his 10 months here. He career shows no signs of not nose-diving further at the minute, which is a shame.

I've been saying this for a number of weeks. I can't fault the players for effort, but there aren't enough players 'turning it on' -and its because they lack quality at this level. Thats where we are at the moment.
That said, I would back Danny to be able to recognise this and bring in better players in January.
With the central midfield duo playing a deep, holding, protect the back 4 role, it is up to the wide men to attack down the flanks and put crosses in, surely. I've noticed improvement in the last couple of weeks in this area, but the strikers or whoever is in the box doesn't seem to attack the ball enough when it comes into the box.
Still too many hit and hope balls pumped forward. One thing we've learned is you won't get anywhere in this league just doing that.
If Danny can find a couple more players that are Div 1 standard or higher in January, then I can still see us with a good chance of finishing top 7. I think he needs to shop in Div 1 or Championship for players who's contract is up in the summer, and are surplus to requirements.
I'd be building the team around Vickers, Long, Eardley, Dickie, Woodyard, Bostwick and Anderson. So thats 7 players there that I think most people would agree consistently do well at what they are supposed to do. We aren't far off, it's just in the final 3rd where we are poor.
I'd splash the cash and bring in 2 strikers and maybe an attacking midfielder. If there's any truth in the Frecklington rumour, he'd make a good signing, and in an area we are lacking. Move Bostwick into a centre back role, once Raggett moves back to Norwich.
Move a few on in January.

I thought nazon was a good example of the difference a positive forward can make, strength and a decent bit of technique... capable of three or four touches to make space and had set a clear intention to get a shot in. contrast green... takes one touch and is often chasing the second touch, or stumbling, off balance.

In green’s defence, the service to him is normally a high or bouncing ball and he is surrounded by two or three defenders. Any Decent forward needs a decent midfielder who can thread a decent ball into him.

So that’s a decent midfielder that can see a pass we need... and bring the wingers into play. And a decent forward, or two. Oh, and replace raggett.

Cowley has already said though that the method takes a while to change... does this mean that whatever the signings, it will be 4 or 5 slow sideways passes at the back followed by dickie banging 50 yard diagonals again after January?

devonexlondonimp - 21/11/2017 23:18

Tactically we set up not to lose games and play the defensive cage (a la tony pulis) so limit the options going forward whether we are home or away.
7inc goalkeeper,back 4 plus 2 defending midfielders= cage
this leaves 4 outright attacking players who still need to track back.
If the quality in that 4 is underpar then you may struggle to score goals but will avoid getting hammered regularly.(one of our main problems)

Tactics are used to suit the players you have and in our case the squad is too small and the wide players are not delivering quality into the box(harry being the key winger/scorer but even he was easy handled by Coventry.)
The call for big money spent on a striker in January is a little naive,it`s the ability to create the chances for the "new striker" which is the key issue.A striker needs service and if we give it the long punt via the back 4 there won`t be any changes.Get my drift.(harry kane would fail in our side)
The mix between workrate(it`s very important/process) and creativity needs looking at,it`s not only how many kilometers i ran in the game that counts.
I trust DC and NC to find the creativity/quality but January is not when it`s always available.

Looking at the top 7 in our league only one team is cash short(Accrington) so without money it can be achieved(last 15 games of last season accy were the form side and they have continued this year)

If we play the two defensive holding midfielders then there is no room for a midfield playmaker (could be woodyard)who links(see doyle/coventry)and plays in the widemen and delivers to runners on the defenders shoulder(green)
some of the above food for thought.
I`m not panicking MR Mannering we will settle midtable(cannot beat top sides yet) and with additions (quality widemen) and then some variation on tactics we will be ok.

Management team are committed,(remember bad times, chris sutton,paul brush,steve tilson,david holdsworth)and we will progress.
see you saturday.....theatre of dreams.

Woodyard has put two or three decent balls in, but has hardly been peppering the forwards with through balls, and strikes me as much happier in the deep position, playing the percentage passes, and occasionally venturing forward. His reluctance to shoot would be a big drawback for an attacking midfielder/playmaker. Whereas frecklington for instance has always had an eye for goal.

Re: Accrington their record last season and continuity is most likely allowing them to compete at the top. We had success last season, but the step up has meant the equivalent of building a new team