Qatar. Toby has to rethink it. | Vital Football

Qatar. Toby has to rethink it.

Spursex

Alert Team
I'm saddened that Toby has agreed to this deal, it will only serve to help validate a country that should never have had the World Cup in the first place. It is going to be a World Cup drenched in the blood of its almost slave labourers.

Football has allowed itself to be used as pawns to give the Qatari's a veneer of respectability, I'd hoped that Toby shows a bit more intelligence and ends his career playing closer to home.

Yes, he will of course line his pockets with even more riches, the Qatari's will parade him around like a useful idiot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qatar_and_state-sponsored_terrorism

Come on Toby. Think about your legacy!

Yes, I am one of those that would prefer for England not to indulge them and play in the next World Cup, 'equality' can't just be for one part of our society - it has to be for all - if you saw what Women and minorities had to endure there, you'd never go near the place.

Tottenham's Toby Alderweireld closes in on £13m transfer to Qatar

Exclusive: New manager Nuno Espirito Santo sanctions sale of Alderweireld as he aims to revamp defence

By Mike McGrath 24 July 2021 • 9:30am

Tottenham have agreed a deal for Toby Alderweireld to join Al-Duhail in Qatar.
The Belgium international’s move is subject to agreeing personal terms and flying to the Middle East to complete a medical, which would bring an end to six seasons at Spurs following his arrival from Atletico Madrid in 2015.
Spurs have looked to reshape their defence following the appointment of Nuno Espirito Santo as manager and Fabio Paratici coming in as sporting director. They are trying to negotiate deals for Atalanta’s Cristian Romero and have also been in talks with Bologna’s Takehiro Tomiyasu.
There have been expected departures under Nuno, with Alderweireld, 32, among the players Spurs are prepared to sell for the right price.
Antwerp had an approach turned down earlier in the summer over a deal that would have seen Alderweireld return to his hometown, where he played football as a child before joining Ajax’s youth set-up.
Al-Duhail’s ambitious bid to land Alderweireld is closer to the £13million that Spurs have been looking for to secure a player who has two years left on his current contract and played at the European Championships this summer in a team knocked out by eventual winners Italy.
While he would be leaving the high-intensity of the Premier League ahead of the World Cup next season, his Belgium team-mates have remained in Roberto Martinez’s plans despite leaving the major leagues. Thomas Vermaelen is currently in Japan and Yannick Carrasco had a spell in China.
Alderweireld, should he agree to the move, would also be playing in the country hosting next season’s major international tournament. Al-Duhail were Qatar Stars League champions two seasons ago and in 2021 qualified for the Asian Champions League under former Nottingham Forest manager Sabri Lamouchi.
While playing under Mauricio Pochettino, Alderweireld helped Spurs reach the Champions League final in 2019 where they were defeated by Liverpool in Madrid. He had a season on loan at Southampton before his move to Spurs, where he then on the radar of Premier League rivals, only to commit his future to the club two years ago with a new contract.

I'm saddened that Toby has agreed to this deal, it will only serve to help validate a country that should never have had the World Cup in the first place. It is going to be a World Cup drenched in the blood of its almost slave labourers.

Football has allowed itself to be used as pawns to give the Qatari's a veneer of respectability, I'd hoped that Toby shows a bit more intelligence and ends his career playing closer to home.

Yes, he will of course line his pockets with even more riches, the Qatari's will parade him around like a useful idiot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qatar_and_state-sponsored_terrorism

Come on Toby. Think about your legacy!

Yes, I am one of those that would prefer for England not to indulge them and play in the next World Cup, 'equality' can't just be for one part of our society - it has to be for all - if you saw what Women and minorities had to endure there, you'd never go near the place.

Tottenham's Toby Alderweireld closes in on £13m transfer to Qatar

Exclusive: New manager Nuno Espirito Santo sanctions sale of Alderweireld as he aims to revamp defence

By Mike McGrath 24 July 2021 • 9:30am

Tottenham have agreed a deal for Toby Alderweireld to join Al-Duhail in Qatar.
The Belgium international’s move is subject to agreeing personal terms and flying to the Middle East to complete a medical, which would bring an end to six seasons at Spurs following his arrival from Atletico Madrid in 2015.
Spurs have looked to reshape their defence following the appointment of Nuno Espirito Santo as manager and Fabio Paratici coming in as sporting director. They are trying to negotiate deals for Atalanta’s Cristian Romero and have also been in talks with Bologna’s Takehiro Tomiyasu.
There have been expected departures under Nuno, with Alderweireld, 32, among the players Spurs are prepared to sell for the right price.
Antwerp had an approach turned down earlier in the summer over a deal that would have seen Alderweireld return to his hometown, where he played football as a child before joining Ajax’s youth set-up.
Al-Duhail’s ambitious bid to land Alderweireld is closer to the £13million that Spurs have been looking for to secure a player who has two years left on his current contract and played at the European Championships this summer in a team knocked out by eventual winners Italy.
While he would be leaving the high-intensity of the Premier League ahead of the World Cup next season, his Belgium team-mates have remained in Roberto Martinez’s plans despite leaving the major leagues. Thomas Vermaelen is currently in Japan and Yannick Carrasco had a spell in China.
Alderweireld, should he agree to the move, would also be playing in the country hosting next season’s major international tournament. Al-Duhail were Qatar Stars League champions two seasons ago and in 2021 qualified for the Asian Champions League under former Nottingham Forest manager Sabri Lamouchi.
While playing under Mauricio Pochettino, Alderweireld helped Spurs reach the Champions League final in 2019 where they were defeated by Liverpool in Madrid. He had a season on loan at Southampton before his move to Spurs, where he then on the radar of Premier League rivals, only to commit his future to the club two years ago with a new contract.

I think the same. Its such a shame Toby has chosen to go to Qatar. I would hope his illustrious career would not end playing in a place where women, certain sexualities and the poor are treated as second class or worse. I know he is good enough still to go to Portugal, Holland or even France and still get first team football.
I would hope that every country stand together and refuse to play at the wc it will be the first one I do not go to for many years.

Totally agree with you Ex, I was surprised when I saw the announcement, hardly the place I would like to finish my career at, apart from the financial benefits.

Would like to have seen him end up nearer his home either in Belgium or the Netherlands.

How much would he be on?

Seems an odd move. He was very vocal about going back to Ajax or the Belgium league in January.

I'm fine with him going as he can't jump anymore but we are left with weaker CBs than him.

Completely aligned here. The hypocrisy of taking the knee and fighting against racial prejudice and then supporting Qatar and FIFA is clear for everyone to see. Toby would be selling his soul for money.

I want Toby gone, but not in this way.
Exactly the words that came to me, selling his soul. But so are many by taking part in the World Cup in any capacity. I will miss watching it but I have to stick to my beliefs and abstain this time.

Seems a very odd place to play out the tail end of ones career. Happy to see him leave, but to that hell hole.

Interesting to hear some folks views on not watching the WC. I admire the courage of your convictions.

I still can't believe they're hosting what is, the largest sporting event in the world, but also the most important.
The WC should bring all nationalities together, celebrating the beautiful game, whilst breaking down cultural barriers.

I've closely watched every WC since 1978, in Argentina, which I still maintain was the best in recent decades, with the emergence of many great names, not to mention the opening of international transfers.

Come on you lot...this all about the money, and for all we know he might need the extra cushion. I've long since stopped comparing today's game and the business that surrounds it with what I grew up with...it's a different animal, one more akin to the sports business world in the US (I warned my old friends about free-agency and television money decades ago...and getting US ownership of clubs in the league doesn't help).
Anyway, that cat is out of the bag and is never going back in it (innit...lol).

I wish Toby well, has as been said, his best days for us are behind him and getting 13mil for him and and saving around10 mil a year wages frees up some well needed dosh for other buys.

We normally have problems creating space in our squad for upgrades, it's kind of good to see that there is some activity at that end of the spectrum, lets hope we start getting some good news regarding new arrivals; new arrivals of quality, new arrivals that will positively impact or team sooner than later.

So, ta-ta Toby and good luck to you mate, thank you for your service.

Technically he's using them as much as they will be using him. He wants to return to Belgium to finish his career so he is clearly wants to bag as much as he can before he returns to earn much less than he is used to.

It's a real shame Qatar has been presented as his only option. The MLS would have been a much better move but likely less money.