Punting on the Cam vs Walking on the Duggie | Page 19 | Vital Football

Punting on the Cam vs Walking on the Duggie

I agree mate but patience is not an instruction to slow down the play in my book.

I still believe the players we have lack the ability to break down teams that low block and rather than take the chance with a forward pass being intercepted play the sideways/backwards ball.

In my opinion it's a lack of confidence that comes with inexperience, hence my suggestion that we look for experience in the window and not simply youth.

I disagree, in that i believe it is down to the manager to device tactics that overcomes this approach rather than blaming the players for their lack of ability to do so. Lack of ability is difficult to change, differing tactics isn’t.

Wigan fans are hard to please. We all know. But the majority can’t be wrong. Because Hibs fans said exactly the same. Boring slow tactics. Same when we played Man Utd. Scared bloody stiff of them. At least Newport had a go at them. Any way. The first team players should have been off on Tues. and he brought them in for traning
and a team talk

I agree mate but patience is not an instruction to slow down the play in my book.

Maloney and Hughes have both mentioned about slowing down and speeding up the play in interviews. So i do think there is an instruction to slow it down the play at the back with the intention to bait a press (as is in vogue in the Prem at the moment with the 'studs on the ball') but then our players don't move into the space or speed up the play to allow us to pass through any gaps that open up and we go nowhere.

When you watch the Prem teams like Brighton do this, it's a well drilled routine straight off the training ground creating a line breaking pass and it works brilliantly but we keep don't seem to know how to do it.

I think the issue with trying to be patient in football is it's a nuance that is hard to get right and often leads to inactivity.

Maloney and Hughes have both mentioned about slowing down and speeding up the play in interviews. So i do think there is an instruction to slow it down the play at the back with the intention to bait a press (as is in vogue in the Prem at the moment with the 'studs on the ball') but then our players don't move into the space or speed up the play to allow us to pass through any gaps that open up and we go nowhere.

When you watch the Prem teams like Brighton do this, it's a well drilled routine straight off the training ground creating a line breaking pass and it works brilliantly but we keep don't seem to know how to do it.

I think the issue with trying to be patient in football is it's a nuance that is hard to get right and often leads to inactivity.
It’s league one nothing complicated just out score the opposition. Years ago every football fan in the country called John Becks football. But it was better than this. The ball used to come down with snow on it. But it went in the box. In 55 years. This is the worse football I’ve ever seen. One shot on target at home. Is not entertaining

We have the slowing down play bit off to a tee just struggle with the speeding up bit.

Hughes did it brilliantly (for Kelman I think) the other day

I think it's one of those where he can't play that ball if Kelman doesnt make the run into space. We certainty havent got anywhere near enough people moving off the ball.

But at the same time there are times when a player does make a good run and the player on the ball opts for a safe, easy sideways or back pass rather than trying the through ball.

I think we are often so focused on keeping posession that we aren't willing to take positive risks on and off the ball for fear of losing it. We need more of the positive risk taking that Kelman and Hughes did.

I think it's one of those where he can't play that ball if Kelman doesnt make the run into space. We certainty havent got anywhere near enough people moving off the ball.

But at the same time there are times when a player does make a good run and the player on the ball opts for a safe, easy sideways or back pass rather than trying the through ball.

I think we are often so focused on keeping posession that we aren't willing to take positive risks on and off the ball for fear of losing it. We need more of the positive risk taking that Kelman and Hughes did.
First para ... spot on
Second para ... spot on
Final para ... possibly ... but Sin Miedo. ;)

I beg to differ ... and working with a load of North End fans at the time, so would they.
Dog shit football your correct. Preston were in the doldrums big style when he took over. But he got the place Rocking. If my memory correct you will know. Last game of that season. Against Exeter. Complete sell out. Exeter fans couldn’t get in.

Dog shit football your correct. Preston were in the doldrums big style when he took over. But he got the place Rocking. If my memory correct you will know. Last game of that season. Against Exeter. Complete sell out. Exeter fans couldn’t get in.
Bloody hell, I don't remember who my own team played last game of the season in the past few years, never mind knowing about North End's from about 30 years ago! :LOL: I do know that he got 'em relegated. ;)