Prince Andrew, the Royals and the media | Vital Football

Prince Andrew, the Royals and the media

Wayne.Kerr

Vital Champions League
A truck crash is how someone described the Duke of York's TV interview. Apart from his lack of empathy, I think his comment describing Epstein's evil acts as 'unbecoming' is up there with the worst. His plan to confront the media backfired like nothing on earth and it even outdid news on Brexit and the election.

On the matter of the Royals and the media, looks like Harry and Meghan are veering towards the Diana recipe for disaster. They use the media when it suits but can't handle matters when the tables are turned and the media doesn't give up easily. Meghan's spat with the Mail is a slightly different matter, I belive.

They really should never sit down and be interviewed in the way that he was.

When he used the word unbecoming, didn't he say he was just trying to put it in a polite way or something? He clearly does not understand the concept of understatement.

Not sure why they keep using the word empathy. I thought that meant putting yourself in the position of the victims. It would be pretty difficult for him to do that. Should it not be sympathy rather than empathy?

Reminds me of when Edward was "demanding" that the press agree with him that "It's a Royal Knockout" was good and then throwing a wobbly when they were unenthusiastic.

I think Meghan's claim could be weaker than Harry's if her dad did sell the private letter to the paper as I think legally it would have become his property. The phone hacking claim by Harry, if true, would mean the media would deserve another pasting.

The Queen must be in bits. As I understand it Andrew is very much her favourite child.

He's so out of touch it's embarrassing. Was supposed to be Britain's royal business ambassador to help UK companies clinch big international trade deals. But he was always straight off playing golf at someone elses expense. Earned the nickname Duke of Golf.
This, however, is much murkier and doesn't deserve the inappropriate underage sex jokes that are littering social media.
He's going to regret that interview.

To be frank the Royal Family have shown themselves to be out of touch and IMO out of date with society for some time now.

This latest interview for me shows how they lack self awareness and also any decency.

I appreciate the “they are good for tourism” argument but in this day and age i am struggling to see the point of them.

Make him Governor of South Georgia, and give him two terms, and then let's shrink the Royal establishment to Dutch proportions. I want to see Charles on his bike on the Mall of a morning.

Make him Governor of South Georgia, and give him two terms, and then let's shrink the Royal establishment to Dutch proportions. I want to see Charles on his bike on the Mall of a morning.

I'd settle for that kind of monarchy but I fear that Andrew has put too much out there. He'll be over with you and under oath before this is over. Any, who attempt to obstruct that process, will go down with him ultimately. I think this is even worse than it appears and they need to slowly cut him adrift.

If Andrew heads off for South Georgia I vote Anne slaps him about a bit before embarkationm metaphorically speaking of course.

To be frank the Royal Family have shown themselves to be out of touch and IMO out of date with society for some time now.

This latest interview for me shows how they lack self awareness and also any decency.

I appreciate the “they are good for tourism” argument but in this day and age i am struggling to see the point of them.
Plenty of tourists go to Paris - no monarchy there

I see this as a complete non story where the media have decided it must be in the public interest even though the public did not give a shit until they were told to be interested.

Unless he has been charged then wtf does it matter.

Same as the media interest on the Boris jennifer arcuri story. Public interest from the media’s point of view of a story where boris was found to be innocent by the London Assembly.

People just keep dancing to the media tune lol. By the medias standard we are interested in this type of crap or big brother or love island but evidently kids being knifed or killed on our streets is not of enough public interest to be aired.
The homeless the same plus so many other issues.

I see this as a complete non story where the media have decided it must be in the public interest even though the public did not give a shit until they were told to be interested.
The prince requested the interview
Unless he has been charged then wtf does it matter.
Quite but if he can choose to speak to the media then he could help the FBI with its enquiry

How can you get anything so wrong?
Same as the media interest on the Boris jennifer arcuri story. Public interest from the media’s point of view of a story where boris was found to be innocent by the London Assembly.
But she isn't going away - she's driving it

As a PR professional, I have to say the interview was a total disaster - pizzas, Woking, sweatlessness, Tramps bar - the list goes on. No wonder Andrew's PR adviser resigned. All it's done is set loads of new hares running - even Ant and Dec were taking the piss on I'm a Celeb last night. "Unbecoming" was a huge own goal, but the worst was using the old "I can't recall meeting her" ploy, instead of a flat denial. That speaks volumes. One of the challenges in my role is working with people who just don't get it. HRH is clearly one of those. All he's done is push himself closer to a position where he's forced to give evidence under oath.

Your attitude's all very well Jerryattrick - but just remember that without a probing press, the likes of Nixon and Robert Maxwell would never have been exposed. The powers-that-be would love a situation where journalists don't ask awkward questions. That way, corruption lies.

As a PR professional, I have to say the interview was a total disaster - pizzas, Woking, sweatlessness, Tramps bar - the list goes on. No wonder Andrew's PR adviser resigned. All it's done is set loads of new hares running - even Ant and Dec were taking the piss on I'm a Celeb last night. "Unbecoming" was a huge own goal, but the worst was using the old "I can't recall meeting her" ploy, instead of a flat denial. That speaks volumes. One of the challenges in my role is working with people who just don't get it. HRH is clearly one of those. All he's done is push himself closer to a position where he's forced to give evidence under oath.

Agree the interview was crap but its a simple case that anyone has to give evidence when legally obliged without exception.
The media think it is for them to start to try people by public opinion. Lets get back to innocent until proven guilty and the rule of law.

The media think it is for them to start to try people by public opinion. Lets get back to innocent until proven guilty and the rule of law.
Quite right but he lied. I don't sweat - see pictures of him leaving a nightclub sweating. I don't flirt etc - cue picture of him with a woman and so on.

If someone under the umbrella of Royalty Protection officers wanted confirmation as to where they were on a given time and day, even several/many years ago, I`d have thought that the information was potentially available. Just saying....