Preston Ale Houses | Vital Football

Preston Ale Houses

Evening Latics,

We meet again on Saturday after last season's win a piece and no doubt a few of you will heading up the WCML for a pre-match ale or five.

For those into their ale and who frequent quality hostelries like Wigan Central and Sherringtons here's a quick guide the best places in Preston for a pint.

Plug & Taps, Lune Street, PR1 2NN.

Two floored microbar which many consider to be the best beery spot in Preston. Four cask and ten keg offerings with the likes of Rivington, Brewsmith, Verdant, Cloudwater, Northern Monk, Chainhouse Brewing and Wylam regularly on the bar. Also a fridge crammed full of goodies inc some rarities. Lune Street chippy next door.

Black Horse, Friargate/Orchard Street/Lowthian Street, PR1 2EJ.

A stunningly beautiful Victorian public house and the only one in Britain with a door on three different streets. Eight cask comprising of four Robinson's regulars and four guests. Worth a visit for the decor alone.

The Orchard, Earl Street, PR1 2LA.

Another micro with a 'crafty' edge, this time within Preston Market. Two cask and ten keg pour some great beers similar to those find at the Plug with two German pilsners also available for supping. Food from the market's many vendors can be eaten whilst you sup.

Guild Ale House, Lancaster Road, PR1 1DD.

Preston's first ever micropub and one that takes a more traditional outlook on beer with seven cask and two keg whilst two fridges house a variety of Belgium, German and craft bottles & cans. Always a very friendly atmosphere and the upstairs provides some very comfortable arms chairs.

Plau, Friargate, PR1 2EE.

An absolute must for any ale lover and also for the incredible setting that comes with Plau's three distinct floors. Four cask, ten keg serve up some quality beer which you can consume whilst taking the Plau tour from the Victorian Dining room on the third floor to the medieval well in the cellar bar. It really is a must!

Vinyl Tap, Adelphi Street, PR1 7BE.

If good beer, huge burgers and great music on a plethora of Vinyl LPs is your thing then Vinyl Tap is the place for you. Six cask and two keg do the work on the bar whilst chef Alex cooks up a delectable range of burgers, loaded fries and hot salads. Also available is a huge collection of records for you to chose from and ask the bar staff to play from Abba to ZZ Top inc some rare Anthrax 7" numbers.

The Moorbrook, North Road, PR1 1RU

The jewel in Preston's beer crown and a firm fans favourite with nine cask pumps and five keg taps pouring some great ale from across the UK and beyond. The pub is also the home of the legendary Moorbrook Pizzas which are homemade and wood fired and literally the best in town. If you can only visit one pub then make it the Moorbrook.

One piece of advice if you like your ale is to ignore the local fuzz's recommendations which will be the easy to police Old Vic opposite the railway station and Adelphi on Fylde Road. Both do some fairly decentish beers but neither are particularly great and the Adelphi is very studenty.

Safe 13 minute journey up and see you Saturday.

Hello pal...slight digression I know but as I'm driving and working later where is the best place to park for a swift getaway.

Hello pal...slight digression I know but as I'm driving and working later where is the best place to park for a swift getaway.
Come off M6 at 31a.
Right at that roundabout.
Straight across at next roundabout.
Left at next roundabout.
Right at the lights.
You're now on Watling St Rd.....park anywhere on here.
To get to ground, keep on walking to the lights (barracks on your right) and go left.
You'll come to junction of Blackpool Rd and Deepdale Rd, and you're there.
Getting away, retrack your route, but you'll need to go under motorway to get on southbound.
?

I'd aim for parking on Gillett Street (PR1 5HX) with your car facing away from Deepdale. It's a 5/6min walk from the ground and on return you can leave Gillett Street and cross Ribbleton Lane on to Geoffrey Street opposite. Then when you come to the end of GS turn left on to New Hall Lane. Once on NHL follow the road down to the M6.

You should avoid most of the traffic especially if you don't hang around post match.

Cheers moonay and Preston lad...I will Google earth both and decide later. Nothing would give me more pleasure than to sample a few pints of the wares on offer but circumstance dictates...maybe next time.

Tried Guild Ale House and The Orchard last year. Both great and had some good beers on. Wetherspoons breakfast then onto a few of the bars mentioned. We’ll hopefully come back in a better mood than last year though this time!

Too far to walk from to the ground, so will need a taxi, but the Continental is a very decent pub with some excellent beers on.

Conti is a great place but as you said, bit of a trek to the ground. If a group of away fans were travelling by minibus or coach I'd definitely point them in that direction via Penwortham to avoid the fuzz.

Come off M6 at 31a.
Right at that roundabout.
Straight across at next roundabout.
Left at next roundabout.
Right at the lights.
You're now on Watling St Rd.....park anywhere on here.
To get to ground, keep on walking to the lights (barracks on your right) and go left.
You'll come to junction of Blackpool Rd and Deepdale Rd, and you're there.
Getting away, retrack your route, but you'll need to go under motorway to get on southbound.
?

Best thing about today. Excellent place to park and back in house about 5:40.

It was bloody packed round there today as well. Its not normally nearly as busy up toward the White Hart.
?

How many lurkers do we have? ?

Went in that little St. Gregory club...only had 1 but seemed pleasant enough with both sets of supporters in there. Being a Rangers man though had to hold my nose as it's a left footer place.

Policing was a bit OTT. They were on every bloody corner. Even stood in doorways of some pubs acting as bouncers. Wouldn’t bloody let us in anywhere after game. Went back after 5 mins and walked in no problem when they’d pissed off. Sometimes they just make things far worse by antagonising people and taking things away like the basic right to enter a fucking pub.

Policing was a bit OTT. They were on every bloody corner.

Lancs have a tendancy to turn out in huge numbers for most games involving more than 1500 visiting fans. The worrying thing is their Police & Crime Commissioner is now trying to get the law changed so clubs have to pay the full policing bill which, IMHO, is just a way of printing overtime money for the vastly inflated number of offices that we get on match days.

Aside from that nice to see a good few Wigan fans in Plau & The Moorbrook pre-match. I'm hoping that the reverse fixture in February stays a 3pm Saturday so I can take in Wigan Central, Hophouse and Sherringtons properly before and after the game.

Cheers PNE ALE MON nice to get some communication with other fans that isn't just a piss take.
I wasn't there as away on holiday but I shall have a few for you in The Cumberland in Alston. Local brewery in Allendale turns some good brews out to which are available in many a pub in The North Pennines.