Premier League Match Thread: Manchester City Vs Nottingham Forest, sponsored by Steve Cooper's two years | Page 16 | Vital Football

Premier League Match Thread: Manchester City Vs Nottingham Forest, sponsored by Steve Cooper's two years

In other news sandy ryan from Derby got absolutely robbed in the boxing last night. Boxing is the pits.

Because we are a new team that couldn't finish and we experimented with playing open and attacking; and consequently played like dickheads in defence.

Spot on

At least Cooper is learning a lot about our players each game

What they are individually capable of etc

And compared to last season we have decent points on the board (despite the learning curve)

Cooper also said post match what I said pre-match. Their first goal is EXACTLY what City like to do. We had trained for stopping it happening all week and then we let them get behind our full backs so early and give them exactly what they thrive on

Tavares clearly can't be trusted with low block

Must be so frustrating for Cooper to see that goal

I like wingbacks with pace who can get forward in 5 man defence

But absolutely their first job has to be preventing opposition from scoring

That's their most important job

And this goal wasn't because Tavares was caught attacking as a wing back and nobody covering for him

It's just plain shite lack of focus on his defensive job

Last edited:
Although we only lost by 2 goals in the end it's fookin frustrating to effectively lose that game so early on

Anything we did trying to make up for those early goals pretty irrelevant

Tavares getting injured no doubt saved him the embarrassment of coming off at half time

Missed opportunity IMO

That may be right, but Manchester City are the Champions of Europe, probably the best team in the world, and have won every match this season. So if there is was an "opportunity", it was a particularly small one.

As (I think) Pope has said, the next three games are against teams that Forest should expect to beat or be on the same level as, so I am not going to worry about it until then.

In fact, I did not try to watch any of the game on streams or anything, and just watched highlights on Match of the Day. Nobody there criticised Tavares; instead, it was a brilliant pass from Rodri for Walker, who brilliantly pulled it back for Foden brilliantly to rifle the ball past Turner. Sometimes, games are won rather than lost.

Luton look dogshit.

Not in how they play; plenty of spirit, endeavour and chances created. Their heads are high- for now.

But they've just played a wolves side that were relegation battlers last season and have since been eviscerated in the transfer window. Wolves were down to 10 men for most of the game and the ref gave Luton and absolute shocker of a penalty that should never have been awarded in a million years.

And Luton still couldn't beat them at home.

Literally, playing at home against one of the weaker teams, ref gives them about an hour against ten men and a free goal for nothing; and they still couldn't win.

That is very worrying

Luton look dogshit.

Not in how they play; plenty of spirit, endeavour and chances created. Their heads are high- for now.

But they've just played a wolves side that were relegation battlers last season and have since been eviscerated in the transfer window. Wolves were down to 10 men for most of the game and the ref gave Luton and absolute shocker of a penalty that should never have been awarded in a million years.

And Luton still couldn't beat them at home.

Literally, playing at home against one of the weaker teams, ref gives them about an hour against ten men and a free goal for nothing; and they still couldn't win.

That is very worrying
Also, they should have lost. The penalty from which Luton Town scored is not one that should have been given.

That may be right, but Manchester City are the Champions of Europe, probably the best team in the world, and have won every match this season. So if there is was an "opportunity", it was a particularly small one.

As (I think) Pope has said, the next three games are against teams that Forest should expect to beat or be on the same level as, so I am not going to worry about it until then.

In fact, I did not try to watch any of the game on streams or anything, and just watched highlights on Match of the Day. Nobody there criticised Tavares; instead, it was a brilliant pass from Rodri for Walker, who brilliantly pulled it back for Foden brilliantly to rifle the ball past Turner. Sometimes, games are won rather than lost.
Pope hasn't said that, but it is right.

Next 5

Brentford (H)
Palace (A)
Luton (H)
Liverpool (A)
Villa (H)

All give us the opportunity to counter attack, except Luton. We need to be winning some of these.

I would absolutely love to beat Brentford after their fan's staggering arrogance and bile online this summer. They don't look great either. Just have to watch that they don't throw themselves to the floor and con the ref as they did in both games last year

Palace is just palace. Very tough game. A team like Forest could theoretically win there, but more likely to be undone by some Eze/ Olise quality, but could get a point. It's the Premier League equivalent of Preston away- and we never seemed to win at Deepdale either.

Luton is just a must win. They may actually play in a way that we can counter attack easily, or we need to overpower them as we tried to do against Burnley. We'll have played all three promoted sides at home (and the three main relegation candidates) and we need to make sure it is 7 points from those games. We took zero at home from the two promoted sides last year, but 9 from the three relegated sides.

Liverpool at Anfield is just what it is. Free shot, see if we catch them on a bad day. Stay in the game for the first half defending, then have a go second half.

Villa at home I think is winnable. They haven't been that impressive; hammering Burnley and Everton is nothing special for them, they scored three really late goals to beat Palace and they have loads of European games to worry about

Just watched MOTD highlights.

Tavares embarrassingly far from the standard needed for both goals. Both were superb team goals but a better player than Tavares and maybe we weather the storm.

Hard to say anything about individual performances from highlights but we do look a PL team.

Awoniyi seemed to miss a couple of really key chances. It happens.

Bit embarrassed by the way MGW goes down for their red card. Not happy with that. Yeah, it benefited us but I hate to see it anywhere.