Premier League Match Thread: Liverpool Vs Nottingham Forest, sponsored by our substitutes bench | Page 22 | Vital Football

Premier League Match Thread: Liverpool Vs Nottingham Forest, sponsored by our substitutes bench

Where are people sitting on the Turner/Vlachodimos decision?

For me Turner looked 50/50 at the start of the season - he'd either improve and grow or he'd start to suffer under the pressure. I definitely think his head has dropped from the uncomfy moments he's had. He just lacks that swagger and self-assurance - he doesn't look entirely confident in himself so how can the defence be? If he were an opposition keeper you'd put him under as much pressure as possible to force a mistake.

Obviously we haven't seen Vlad but he hasn't signed to be a number 2. I can't see Cooper leaving him out on Sunday really. Could be an important change, lets hope it's a solid debut.

He was very, very unlucky with the chance which was deflected over the bar in the first half, should have scored the header in the second, and just offside for the winner. On a good day he wold have had 5..!!
Agreed, it hit the defenders knee who jumped into block. That header in the second I didn't think was so bad, if I remember it was a really good effort given the challenge from a defender and literally skimmed the bar. There was another header which was a bit of a shocker and should have done better with after auriers slip though.

For me Turner looked 50/50 at the start of the season - he'd either improve and grow or he'd start to suffer under the pressure. I definitely think his head has dropped from the uncomfy moments he's had. He just lacks that swagger and self-assurance - he doesn't look entirely confident in himself so how can the defence be? If he were an opposition keeper you'd put him under as much pressure as possible to force a mistake.

Obviously we haven't seen Vlad but he hasn't signed to be a number 2. I can't see Cooper leaving him out on Sunday really. Could be an important change, lets hope it's a solid debut.
I think it's time to have a look at Vlachodimos. He's an international keeper and I think he's going to rightly get agitated if he doesn't get an opportunity when turner is not really putting in performances to claim the position as his own.

It's a difficult one as turner makes great saves but has these little lapses and moments that cause concern. For me it is the fact that he hasn't really fully stepped up and made it his own rather than any huge errors.

Having said that I reckon he's at fault for that 3rd against Liverpool. If you come out that far you have to deal with it whether there is a defender or not

The goalkeeper decision will come down to two factors

1) what is seen in training and whether there is any qualitative difference between them

2) how strong Cooper is to have that conversation with Turner. He's done it before with Samba and Horvath

I don't agree. Against Luton not only did he score 2 but had about 7 chances in total. Now you may be saying he should put more of them away but not even Harland scores a hatrick everytime out (yeah I know he definitely scores a lot of them though).

Thing is this tells me we were starting to get used to playing with him up top and if we give him the opportunities he will put some of them away.

The draw with Luton was nothing to do with wood, he did his job in that one.

Man City can afford a player like Haaland who doesn't do a lot else but score.

We can't.

Moreover, he has 4 in 696 minutes - i.e. 1 in 174, which would be very decent if he offered anything else but the goals that he's scored, but it's not exactly anywhere near Haaland rate of return is it?

Cooper will leave out Vlad.

We can't.

Moreover, he has 4 in 696 minutes - i.e. 1 in 174, which would be very decent if he offered anything else but the goals that he's scored, but it's not exactly anywhere near Haaland rate of return is it?
Hold on, he's a 1 goal in 2 game striker (i.e. near enough 20 goals a season in the prem), and thats not good enough?

Hold on, he's a 1 goal in 2 game striker (i.e. near enough 20 goals a season in the prem), and thats not good enough?

Pretty much 1 in 3 and I bet he doesn't maintain that ratio if he starts every game and plays 90 minutes LOL.

20 goals a season PMSL.

We can't.

Ok, so let's look at the Luton game

His whoscored rating was 8.78, making him comfortably player of the match.

He had 7 shots, four on target and put three of those in the net for two goals. No other player on the pitch came close to those stats

He won 8 aerial duels, well above the average for our squad and above any of their strikers by a mile (Brown won 2). That's 60% of his aerial duels won. No other player on the pitch came close to those stats.

His pass success rate from 25 passes, 15 of them accurate was 60%, not bad for a striker, and he made one key pass. Only three Luton players (including their goalkeeper) made more passes.

He also won a corner.

He outperformed both his fellow strikers on every metric but passes (Gibbs-White) and all the Luton strikers

Ok, so let's look at the Luton game

His whoscored rating was 8.78, making him comfortably player of the match.

He had 7 shots, four on target and put three of those in the net for two goals. No other player on the pitch came close to those stats

He won 8 aerial duels, well above the average for our squad and above any of their strikers by a mile (Brown won 2). That's 60% of his aerial duels won. No other player on the pitch came close to those stats.

His pass success rate from 25 passes, 15 of them accurate was 60%, not bad for a striker, and he made one key pass. Only three Luton players (including their goalkeeper) made more passes.

He also won a corner.

He outperformed both his fellow strikers on every metric but passes (Gibbs-White) and all the Luton strikers

He's clearly an incredible player.

Or performed better than you thought he did and contributed more than just goals?

To me his lack of movement apart from in the box and lack of pressing looked like it made it difficult for us, but I wasn't at the stadium, so my opinion lacks validity.

Has to be Vlad now. Turner was awful against Brentford, and I think he should have been better on the first 2 goals also. But for me, he lacks composure, always seems panicked and rushed. Lets see what we have in Vlad now

To me his lack of movement apart from in the box and lack of pressing looked like it made it difficult for us, but I wasn't at the stadium, so my opinion lacks validity.
Indeed, very hard to see his movement fully when you can only ever see 1/3 of the pitch at any one time

Wood always has been a decent premier league striker but he has never had any pace which means you either get him playing with his back to goal feeding other players or you get him in the box and get crosses into him.

If you do this you will get a decent return from him. If you don’t then he will look like he does nothing for the team.

You can’t put him on the pitch and then moan that he isn’t doing what Awoniyi does because they are very different players.

Is this specifically in reference to the Luton game? If so, what exactly was made difficult by Wood's inefficiencies?

We should have been about 5-0 up before Luton got back into it and Wood should have had at least 3 of them.

His missing of chances might be criticised but he didn't hinder us being able to dominate the game.