Predictions at beginning of the season | Vital Football

Predictions at beginning of the season

Buddha

Vital Football Hero
Can anyone find the thread from the beginning of the season? I've been unable to but would be interested to see what we all thought.

I might be wrong but I think I said I'd be happy if we finished in the top ten. Which is still very much possible.

Cheers. Looks like I didn't contribute to that thread so maybe it was another one or I've just remembered wrong.

I do remember thinking that a top ten finish would be acceptable but was obviously hoping for top seven.

From that thread though, it looks like only Mehmets and PuB had us finishing outside the play offs.

The season has been disappointing and frustrating, for sure, but if we can finish inside the top ten I'd consider it to be just about acceptable. Certainly a vast improvement on the previous season's finishing place, though nowhere near as good as our points return from the second half of last season.

Not sure if I posted it in there but I think I said I'd consider the playoffs a successful season. I remember how people espousing that viewpoint were called unambitious because anything outside of automatic promotion was a total failure. Even taking into account the poor overall quality of this competition, which we couldn't have known to its full extent back then, that was far too high a bar for success. I'm sure now we all have the benefit of hindsight, lots of people would give a left nut for 7th place.

Calling 10th place a success isn't unreasonable IMO for a club that was heading to the National League the previous season. And to be fair it will be a relative success in the context of the current table.

I can understand though that the manner of arriving at 10th place (or 11th, 12th, 13th) has really rankled.

Hey @Buddha , my prediction wasn’t too bad. Even that if we lost one of our only strikers, we’d be “screwed”. And I think Hawk missing 3 months and playing “injured” since has cost us big time.

Personally I expect/hope we will be thereabouts for top 7 with our current squad. Even with no more strikers, I can see the current team winning more than losing and ending between 6-10. This same side was after all 2nd in the form table since Jan and has improved at LB, as well as 2 class signings in JW and Scotty Malone. The only reason I wouldn’t have us 2nd again (or just higher) is the lack of depth up top. An injury to Hawkins or Nicholls for just a few weeks and we’d be screwed.

Hey @Buddha , my prediction wasn’t too bad. Even that if we lost one of our only strikers, we’d be “screwed”. And I think Hawk missing 3 months and playing “injured” since has cost us big time.
Never mind letting two established strikers leave in January and replacing them with, erm, well yeah.

I was wondering for a minute how bad our form could have been if it wasn’t for the Hawk, then I remembered we’ve won 4 from the last 17 and it couldn’t be much worse.

Edit: I had us down to finish 8th, so even with my reckoning things haven’t quite gone to plan

"I'd love to have Gills in automatic spot, but we were definitely missing something extra up front in the second half of the season, and until that arrives - and ensuring it's a bit of a step up in quality - I think we're going to get caught in a few narrow results that don't go our way.

Defensively, I think we're looking very solid."

Underestimated the lack of goalscoring. Otherwise generally feel this is still the same.

Hit on Stockport, MK Dons, Sutton. Missed horribly on Crewe, Notts County, Crawley and Harrogate. Think I am prone to big club bias.

I remember Gab Sutton had Salford and Grimbsy in the playoffs with Colchester and Forest Green on the cusp so it's largely a crap shoot when all is said and done...

1712569886351.png

There was also this thread

Hmmm, I was a bit more upbeat in that one with a top 7 prediction (or was it a “want” rather than a prediction?)

I said NH didn't have what it takes to take us higher and I still stand by that. I think his sacking was spot on. I also said there would be a shock as champions, and suggested Mansfield. Was never convinced, even pre-season, that we had a squad to get us in the play offs.

I said NH didn't have what it takes to take us higher and I still stand by that. I think his sacking was spot on. I also said there would be a shock as champions, and suggested Mansfield. Was never convinced, even pre-season, that we had a squad to get us in the play offs.
Oh, and I said we'd be mid table. I almost know as much about football as Nibbles😁

Last year I wrote...
"This year we will at least be competitive with any side. When the firepower up front finally signs I think we will be worth at least a play-off punt. "

Think I might cut and paste that for next season!

Last year I wrote...
"This year we will at least be competitive with any side. When the firepower up front finally signs I think we will be worth at least a play-off punt. "

Think I might cut and paste that for next season!
Maybe worth a different thread, but is anyone confident that we will get a big hitter? I've already bought my season ticket BTW.

My hope and expectation was identical to the clubs.
Minimum expectation was playoffs
Hope was automatic promotion
It seems that we will achieve neither
If we are looking to play the blame game, I’d be finger pointing at the decision to bin our experienced manager while sitting a few points 4 I believe) from the top of the league.
I know that the football was unattractive but honestly, what’s better than winning?
Every single team in this division has hit a sticky patch.
I think that the time Harris was sacked was ours and if he’d stayed on we would be in a better league position, with still a negative goal difference.
Just my opinion. No evidence to back it up.

If we are looking to play the blame game, I’d be finger pointing at the decision to bin our experienced manager while sitting a few points 4 I believe) from the top of the league.
I know that the football was unattractive but honestly, what’s better than winning?
I think that the time Harris was sacked was ours and if he’d stayed on we would be in a better league position, with still a negative goal difference.
He’d have gone to Millwall.

We wanted more exciting football to draw in the crowds, that's why Harris went.
Sadly, the different directions that we went in didn't produce the results we wanted.