Pre Season | Vital Football

Pre Season

Toonster

Vital Youth Team
I have watched both of the pre season games in New Zealand on TV apart from the last 10 mins of the Wellington game !!! and on the whole didn't think we did all that bad. Before I get dragged across the coals I know it was only pre season and against teams lacking premiership quality, however these games are for fitness and not much else.
In my opinion the pluses were: Rolando Aaron's, Haiadara, Jack Colback, Perez, Yohan Gouffran and Colo. I also thought young Armstrong did well when he came.
I was very impressed with Aaron's who was a threat every time he got the ball and was refreshing to see a player running at an opponent and getting crosses in.
The verdict is still out on Riviere, took his goal well but didn't really offer much else. Early days I know, but I am prepared to give him abit more time before my verdict is reached.
On the whole a decent couple of matches and without getting carried away thought we did well all things considered.

Im no manager but pre-season has still shown all the same old problems.

Pardew has no plan B. His plan A now involves a set up involving de Jong. If he goes off, then we have to revert to type. (hump it long).

We have no main striker.

If Colo gets injured/suspended or what, we're fucked. The same applies with Krul.

The reason the kids are being highlighted is because the club wants to use these rather than to spend money that we've already received for nowt but with my own eyes, not one of them has shone for me. Putting in a half decent performance against a team a few leagues below us (in comparison) doesn't count.

Apart from that and as a fan, ive no choice but to give time.

The only plus is that cabella, sissoko, janmatt, krul and Tiote will be part of it too. Still can't raise my pulse above resting about the football though, become just a passing interest and nothing more.

No decent opposition yet. Signs are we are relying heavily on de Jong and the defence is suspect.
Need at least one central defender, a cover right back and an experienced striker.
The pardew coaching has to be factored in as a negative though.
Decent signings so far but more needed. No good relying on youngsters as they have failed in the past and need to be filtered in gradually