Pre Season & Friendlies Thread | Page 77 | Vital Football

Pre Season & Friendlies Thread

Watkins is a real confidence player. He is shot at the moment. If we had a more athletic option than Ings, Watkins would be on the bench. Im fully expecting Unai to rectify it in January if the right player is available.

As I said he couldn't hit the target in the warm-up, Bailey and Buendia were blowing the net out. He's not a PL striker in anything but running

we have to play ings up front, have faith in him , he needs a few games
under his belt but will do the biz, at the moment he is not getting a fair crack of the whip,,,seanie

As I said he couldn't hit the target in the warm-up, Bailey and Buendia were blowing the net out. He's not a PL striker in anything but running
Ollie lack of a reliable first touch breaks us down too often. Playing wide, he offers pace and work rate. A fit Leon and Ollie,as of now, has the promise of genuine pace. Interesting times ahead.

That's been my argument, with this getting into Europe bollocks some are obsessed with on here, Villareal is a decent team and we've all heard of them. Wait till we get some team in Europe on a freezing Thursday night, it will be just the same, especially after the novelty wears off. sub 20k gates until the latter stages , just like the league cup
30k on a waiting list my arse
Not sure about that 57. If that had been a Europa league game last night I definitely would have gone and I’ll bet thousands more would have too. It was a friendly a week before Xmas. I’m actually surprised as many as 13k turned up, I was expecting the gate to be less than 10k

The first season back in Europe will be attractive to fans regardless of weather. Then it may wear thin in seasons 2,3,4 etc especially if it's Europa conference league and its regardless of weather that's a tough sell even if it's £10-15 a ticket

The first season back in Europe will be attractive to fans regardless of weather. Then it may wear thin in seasons 2,3,4 etc especially if it's Europa conference league and its regardless of weather that's a tough sell even if it's £10-15 a ticket
The novelty will wear off very quickly, we might get 20 k for group matches but it won't be full, especially when you have to google the opposition

we have to play ings up front, have faith in him , he needs a few games
under his belt but will do the biz, at the moment he is not getting a fair crack of the whip,,,seanie

I'd give him a chance but the issue might be that is he is like Ronaldo, he'll probably undermine our entire defensive structure. Ings is willing unlike Ronaldo but he is very ineffective at pressing. Plus he ends up being a guaranteed sub on the 60/70 minute mark.

Last edited:
Watkins is a real confidence player. He is shot at the moment. If we had a more athletic option than Ings, Watkins would be on the bench. Im fully expecting Unai to rectify it in January if the right player is available.

Personally don’t think it is anything to do with confidence. He is just not all that and there was too much excitement too soon in his first season . I said from the get go his route to us was very low level and not what we needed at the time . And it is still showing he is not what is needed and infact his level is even more exposed as we want to push on , the players around him improve and the pressure is on . Think that lack of confidence is being confused with what we have been seeing for so long now i.e just his particular lower than required level ability.

The novelty will wear off very quickly, we might get 20 k for group matches but it won't be full, especially when you have to google the opposition
Exactly , especially that god awful Europa conference league . You're better finishing 8th or below that getting involved in that . Crowds would definitely be sub 20k even if they're giving tickets away

Personally don’t think it is anything to do with confidence. He is just not all that and there was too much excitement too soon in his first season . I said from the get go his route to us was very low level and not what we needed at the time . And it is still showing he is not what is needed and infact his level is even more exposed as we want to push on , the players around him improve and the pressure is on . Think that lack of confidence is being confused with what we have been seeing for so long now i.e just his particular lower than required level ability.
I kid you not we would have won 3-0 against Villareal had we had a competent striker, even one that can control a football would be a bonus, We have two quality central midfielders in Kamara and Dougie who were strutting their stuff until they played in into Watkins or McGinn then it just broke down

That's been my argument, with this getting into Europe bollocks some are obsessed with on here, Villareal is a decent team and we've all heard of them. Wait till we get some team in Europe on a freezing Thursday night, it will be just the same, especially after the novelty wears off. sub 20k gates until the latter stages , just like the league cup
30k on a waiting list my arse
Carts and horses comes to mind. Don't see this lot getting into Europe without some serious money changing hands.

I don't get this mentality that it's not worth being in European competition unless its the champions league. Maybe for anyone who can remember 1982 its not much but what have we done since then to turn our noses up at anything?

Acting high and mighty because of our history and the fact that we're in the Premier league doesn't change the fact that a lot of players, especially from outside the UK will look at us and see a side that was in the championship recently and hasn't been in Europe for well over a decade.

We want to be considered a big club again but for some reason scorn the things that show we are a big club like being successful in the league and finishing high enough to get into these competitions.

it's not being high & mighty as such I'd say just that greed has bloated the competitions to the extent they are largely worthless tbh. Fine if after half a season of extra games you've made it to the final but otherwise finishing one place higher in the league is prob worth more financially.
Not sure a game against Pyunik Yerevan, Beer Sheva or Shamrock Rovers is going to pack out the ground or persuade someone to sign for us.
Money and the Prem are the draw.

Anyway we'll be heading to Infantini's super league so won't have the time