Posts from Barrow Match thread | Vital Football

Posts from Barrow Match thread

Hillman Imp

Vital Squad Member
Couple of posts from the Barrow Forum match thread make interesting reading.

1. Good comeback, there is a bit more steel in the team. Imps played into our hands in 2nd half by loading ball into the box, dealt with well by Grand & Williams. It remains to be seen how we could cope with a slicker side who play to feet

2. The referee added to the entertainment by not giving us a damn thing during the first half and then reversing this in the second when boots were flying, red and white shirts diving and bodies colliding. Even the most partisan of BAFC supporters would've admitted that several of these pitched battles could've resulted in penalties but the ref was having none of it, sending the Lincoln team staff and supporters into a bit of a paddy. We also had our chances on the break. NWAs tackle was dangerous and even if it was not a red he'd already been yellow carded.

So what was pathetic and pedestrian in the first half became tense and ...yes I'll say it...exciting in the second.

This was not a Barrow side that are going to storm this league. Cox will now be starting to get a better picture of his weaker links and we can look forward to January with interest. But despite the fact that this was mainly an Edmo team, in the end it was not an Edmo performance. It was more like a Bayliss backs to the wall performance in which we strangled a point out of the opposition and were prepared to go down fighting in the progress.

implausible - 20/12/2015 11:12

Couple of posts from the Barrow Forum match thread make interesting reading.

1. Good comeback, there is a bit more steel in the team. Imps played into our hands in 2nd half by loading ball into the box, dealt with well by Grand & Williams. It remains to be seen how we could cope with a slicker side who play to feet
But worked in the first half...

Someone on there suggesting, "don't be surprised if Matt Rhead isn't playing for us in 2016/17"!!!!!
I haven't got that lad down as the 9-eyed toad that started the season alongside him, so I'd be very surprised myself.

plumbob - 21/12/2015 17:45

Someone on there suggesting, "don't be surprised if Matt Rhead isn't playing for us in 2016/17"!!!!!
I haven't got that lad down as the 9-eyed toad that started the season alongside him, so I'd be very surprised myself.

If he gets a better offer and is out of contract, he will be off.

NottyImp - 21/12/2015 17:47

He's contracted to us next season, which may explain the double negative in the quote! ;)

Yes but he isn't out of contract

Skip155 - 21/12/2015 17:52

Yes but he isn't out of contract

In that case, if we get a better offer, he'll be off. :pointy:

SIMJON - 21/12/2015 17:51

He's contracted to us next season, which may explain the double negative in the quote! ;)
Wrong choice of words from me, just giving the jist of it!
"Would not be surprised if Matt Rhead was a Barrow player in the 2016-17 season."
He is still wrong! Contracted, and like I said, I imagine not the type to throw his teddy at CM to get out of it.

I nearly started a thread about Rhead. Wonder what his value is, or put in a better way I wonder what size offer it'd take for us to accept.

He's 30, I think, so no spring chicken. We've also built our play around him, which other teams may not do.

NottyImp - 21/12/2015 18:18

He's 30, I think, so no spring chicken. We've also built our play around him, which other teams may not do.

Limited market for sure but Simjon got me thinking about this on Saturday. If you're a relegation threatened side he might be a very tempting option. Let's face it, without his goals we might be. I don't really see us finding another way to score.

Skip155 - 21/12/2015 18:27

Limited market for sure but Simjon got me thinking about this on Saturday. If you're a relegation threatened side he might be a very tempting option. Let's face it, without his goals we might be. I don't really see us finding another way to score.

Agreed, no-one else looks like getting 10+ this season atm.

As Skip says, he must be attracting interest, you wouldn't be doing your job as a manager if you hadn't noticed his form. He wouldn't be a long term fix, of course, but as a short term promotion/avoid relegation push? I know I'd be interested if i was in that position. Which got me wondering, how much would it take for us to sell? Everyone has a price after all.

It only takes two teams wanting him to create a bidding war.

USA Imp - 21/12/2015 18:48

It only takes two teams wanting him to create a bidding war.

Or it only takes one desperate club and Lincoln not wanting to sell. For me I struggle to see any club offering enough but I do think there'll be interest. Jon Parkin is almost 34 - Rhead hasn't played professionally that long - he could have a fair few seasons in him yet.

In light of the Hearn story, you'd hope that CM would have laid it on thick to make sure players think twice about 'doing a Hearn'.