Posts April 2019 | Vital Football

Posts April 2019

dedmans

Vital Reserves Team
I don't go often and sat in the Fratton End with some screaming bloke behind. No wonder there were empty seats there. All screams started with f and he was the only one to abuse Conor. No width and drive on the right in first half. Second half saw class drag back from Pitman and we won due to superb finishing from movement from the right . There were few times of frenzy in their goalmouth but when it did happen importantly quality scored the goals.

I don't go often and sat in the Fratton End with some screaming bloke behind. No wonder there were empty seats there. All screams started with f and he was the only one to abuse Conor. No width and drive on the right in first half. Second half saw class drag back from Pitman and we won due to superb finishing from movement from the right . There were few times of frenzy in their goalmouth but when it did happen importantly quality scored the goals.

Thank you for that 'dedmans'.. I appreciate it.

Re the 'tw@t' in the crowd.. I'm afraid there's always one.. and that's among your own fans. I had somebody pee down the back of my leg once before seating became mandatory. It was a cold Saturday in January too.. :downer:

I'm another whose not got to many matches over the past couple of years, mainly due to spending the majority of my time in France these days. However, I'm still as keen as ever to get hold of Pompey's results.. win, lose, or draw..

I must admit that I didn't expect to do as well as we have done this first season in League 1. I'm very pleased of course, and would definitely love to see us in the Championship, which I believe is our natural home. That's only a personal opinion. If however, we don't get promoted I won't be unduly disappointed, as long as we continue our gradual building progress both on and off the pitch.

As for the football we are playing, I know KJ has had a few on his back saying he's been playing negatively, but I for one always say look at the results. The table never lies. As for that man Pitman.. well I think it did him the power of good being benched for a while, because when he comes back into the side and gets a sniff at goal he's still lethal, and a great asset to have in the side.

It's going to be a big one this Saturday at Sunderland and could well decide our season with a match in hand against Barnsley. Its in our hands.. PUP.. :thumbup::clap:

An incredibly exciting game at the Stadium of Light, which, with my Pompey head on I feel we should have won, despite being under the cosh at times by Sunderland. In my opinion, Curtis's goal should have stood. I see no foul being committed.

However, we move on. Take the draw and move into an incredibly interesting position, both in the table, and our ability to still clinch an automatic starting place, and maybe even end up Champions.. :grinning:

Surely that isn't going to happen though is it? I mean, didn't we.. er.. perform a similar performance when taking the League 2 title, and hence promotion. Ok, because we drew with Sunderland our fate is no longer exclusively in our hands, but if we win our remaining two matches against Peterborough and Stanley.. then a very interesting situation could arise if Luton or Barnsley slip up.. :hehe:

Whatever, we've done enough for the playoffs, which personally I think is great considering its our first season in League 1.. but.. is the Championship our next port of call? I'm now (not so secretly) hoping so.

All the best.. Corny.. PUP PPU.. :thumbup::clap:

At the least in the mix. Also, Bogle back and I think he and Curtis will flourish

Now that is good news. I wasn't aware of that 'dedmans'. Had to go and bone up on the web. I've just now read that he's returned to training today. He's an asset alright. A handful! Man, if we can grab 3 points tomorrow night, we are certainly in that mix. Sure would make for an electrifying finish to the season.

Well.. my interesting situation didn't last long did it.. :hmmm:

I actually feel quite deflated today after the defeat by Peterborough. I'd got myself psyched up for a chance of automatic promotion.. but it wasn't to be. People will, and are talking about Viv Solomon-Otabor's offside/disallowed goal after a pass from Pitman, who could have scored himself. However, Peterborough went on to score a couple of minutes later.. but as ever in football.. you wonder!

Anyway, the playoff's it is. Of course, what final position everybody ends up in will decide who plays who and when. See the link for the view from the Snooze..

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/...lay-are-sunderland-in-the-play-offs-1-8910375

So.. it ain't over yet, and we still could be playing Championship football next season. There will be no easy matches in the playoffs that's for sure. We've nothing to fear though, and everything to gain if we play to our best, we are more than a match for anybody. Let's make sure we stuff Stanley on Saturday, and finish up on a high.. PUP PPU.. :thumbup::clap:

Well Corny, seems to be between you and me!
Against Coventry in the first half you could see the possibility of the side getting turned over . They looked leggy and were not compact and seemed to attempt to go forward with no width.
They are tired and also it seems that Curtis's layoff has affected him. He has been playing a very long season before this one.
My view is prepare for the play-off's with resting key players and re-assemble for a controlled knock out. The fresh blood that joined in January can now show their worth. Worryingly a gung-ho approach to a match exposes our vulnerability at the back as we miss Jack.
Anyway Que Serra.

Yes.. I tend to agree with you about the fatigue 'dedmans' and resting key players. However, I still think we have enough though to get the job done.

Its a real shame about Curtis, because he is such a dangerous player to have on your side. A real asset.

Having said what I've said above, I've noticed quite a bit of fragility in the side at times, and I think we've had a pretty good share of the 'rub of the green' this season. Won matches that really we shouldn't have, but then that's football isn't it. An exact science.. it ain't.

Still, lets get the Stanley match out of the way. Things may look different again..

Good to hear Dedmans and Corny still chatting away after all these years.

I am still writing Chimes most weeks after nearly twelve years and this has been a great season. Rug has semi-retired now he has a young family.

So much better to chat here on Vital than on Facebook.

Play up Pompey