Portsmouth (a): What 3 Things Do The Imps Need To Do To Win? | Vital Football

Portsmouth (a): What 3 Things Do The Imps Need To Do To Win?

1. Don't overcomplicate it. Saturday we were guilty of trying to make an extra pass when a cross or shot were on. Mark Kennedy alluded to as much in his post match interview. Through balls were attempted which when you don't have those players with exceptional pace (and we don't) just won't work. The benefits of an early cross were evident with our equaliser last Saturday and if we continue that on Saturday we have a good chance of getting a good result.

2, Stop the service from the flanks. Portsmouth seemed to play with 2 up front at Wednesday with new signings Piggott and Bishop leading the line. They scored three headed goals in the second half. Each was from a cross from their right hand side with the attackers easily beating the defenders. Our defence will need to be on their game to combat this. We are not the tallest team so the secret to stopping that threat in the middle will be to stop the supply. It will be a big game for our probable wide defenders, Eyoma and Robson. It will be important that they don't get caught out up-field on a quick breakaway for them. Both might need to be more restrained in their attacking intent.

3. Use the squad properly. If Lincoln can learn only one thing from the exceptional coaching skills of Sarina Wiegman demonstrated over the last month that should be how to use your squad and plan substitutions. England had match winners who didn't start a single game, yet their contribution to that magnificent tournament win was because they knew their value as impact substitutes and Wiegman knew when to unleash them. So we can say to Tom Hopper to run yourself into the ground for sixty minutes knowing in advance that you'll be coming off then so that Ben House or Charlie Kendall can come on against tiring defenders. All managers/head coaches need to think about how to use those five permitted substitutes as it will make or break any clubs season. Plan ahead and the benefits will be reaped.

It's a nice thought that we have got 5 players to bring on that will not weaken us but I'm not sure that's true just at the moment. In a month's time hopefully.

But on Saturday's bench, we had Benn, Kendall, Makama.

Without checking, my guess would be that those 3 played 0 Football League minutes last season.

I would however encourage DC to take off 5 of his best players, with 30 minutes to go...earlier if possible.

But on Saturday's bench, we had Benn, Kendall, Makama.

Without checking, my guess would be that those 3 played 0 Football League minutes last season.
The same as Brooke Norton-Cuffy had played before joining us.
I'd definitely be giving Kendall a run in the near future. The lad scored for fun last season (yes, I know it was further down the leagues), his confidence must be sky high.

The same as Brooke Norton-Cuffy had played before joining us.
I'd definitely be giving Kendall a run in the near future. The lad scored for fun last season (yes, I know it was further down the leagues), his confidence must be sky high.

Yes, I would gently introduce Kendall quite soon.

He might just carry on where he left off...
...but he will want other experienced L1 players round him.

He is much less likely to succeed if we also chuck Benn and Makama on for their first apearances and say, score us a goal to beat Portsmouth then!

This is going to be a difficult game on the face of it. The Cowleys will have done their homework both before and taking into account our game on Saturday. They are likely push down the right and get crosses in, while trying to keep the ball away from Rushworth and Poole. Eyoma, and Robson if picked, are going to have their work cut out stopping balls coming in from the flanks. Dane Scarlett is their highly regarded young forward on loan from Spurs. Expect him to get more minutes.

We need to have belief and get more bodies in their box close to Hopper. Decent chances were created on Saturday and they conceded three, so we should test the weak links in their defence and get some shots in. If we are drawing or there is only one goal in it with ten minutes to go, then no reason not let Maguire have another go.