Portsmouth 3-2 Lincoln City: What 3 Things Did We Learn? | Vital Football

Portsmouth 3-2 Lincoln City: What 3 Things Did We Learn?

1. When you have young players, mistakes will happen. Some will look at the game yesterday and bemoan individual errors. Yes they ultimately cost us a point in what was a very entertaining game. Cullen's challenge in the area wasn't malicious in any way but clumsy and we rightfully conceded a penalty. Wright fumbled that Raggett shot and it left Curtis with a tap in. If Norton-Coffey had followed Curtis's run though it was probably an easy clearance for him to make and we move on. These are players who are still learning their craft and ultimately they will make mistakes which when they result in goals against, become highlighted. It is the nature of the game. Don't linger over them. Young players need to learn and grow, especially when they face another game 72 hours later. Supporters do the same.

2. The team has grown as the season has progressed even if some of the results haven't quite followed. Think back to some grim times around the November-February period and despite the odd decent result, there was a feeling that if we conceded it was game over. Players began to look very sorry for themselves and games just petered out. Yesterday we fought back from 2-0 down. That would have been the final result during those months with us barely registering a shot in anger. Now there is a spark in the team to try and get back into matches and we very nearly secured a result. I know that there will be some hefty player movement both in and out, but if that attitude is carried over into the next season we can look forward to a less disappointing campaign.

2. Football is a great game even if your immediate reaction post game is to be annoyed by the result. After only a short period of reflection the match on the south coast was without doubt a great one to watch. Now I know some will say it didn't have the finesse of the some of the alleged top teams in this country or in Europe but it was a end to end scrap which no-one will quibble over getting value for money for. That is why we all love the game and why we keep coming back even after you have been drenched to the bone after a 1-0 home loss to Hartlepool

Last edited:
Sorry to be pedantic... it is not really my bag... but Wright and Cullen are both 23, not exactly 'young players'.

Good enough for next season?

Sorry to be pedantic... it is not really my bag... but Wright and Cullen are both 23, not exactly 'young players'.

My eldest is 23 and in my eyes he is still 'young' but that's probably my way of trying to stop my own personal sands of time ebbing away.

I get your point but they are still inexperienced in actual game time and that was what I was trying to get at. I try to come up with something fresh on these and towards the end of the season it gets that bit more problematic

You can be young in terms of football and the number of games you have played… I’d say they were young

23 is young for a goalkeeper a L1 club can afford.

36 Stockdale (Wycombe)
34 Carson (Morecambe)
32 Amos (Wigan)
31 Chapman (Gillingham)
29 Macgillvray (Charlton)
29 Burge (Sunderland)
28 Marosi (Shrewsbury)
28 Richards (Crewe)
27 Mitchell (Doncaster)
26 Vickers (Rotherham)
26 Walton (Ipswich)
25 Mitov (Cambridge)
25 Evans (Cheltenham)
25 Tzanev (Wimbledon)
25 O'Hara (Fleetwood)
24 Stevens (Oxford)
22 Cooper (Plymouth)
21 Savin (Accrington)

Premier League Loans

25 Peacock Farrell (Burnley -Sheff Wed.)
22 Cumming (Chelsea - MK Dons)
20 Bazunu (Man City - Portsmouth)
19 Trafford (Man City - Bolton)
19 Kovar (Man Utd - Burton)

I think Wright should be given the chance. Sure he made a mistake yesterday, so did a PL keeper at Wembley! The lad has made some fantastic saves and I don't see much difference between him and Griffiths.

I think Wright should be given the chance. Sure he made a mistake yesterday, so did a PL keeper at Wembley! The lad has made some fantastic saves and I don't see much difference between him and Griffiths.
His only other possible memorable error was the Fleetwood goal and I give him the benefit of the doubt on that one. Having been at the game I can say because of the pitch and weather conditions the ball took a horrible bounce and trajectory through the air, might have even took a deflection off Jackson on the way through. On the other hand he has made some excellent saves

He's got another 3 games to showcase his consistency. If that Pompey blooper turns out to be the only one of major significance in the time between coming in and the end of the season he will have deservedly given himself a chance for next season.

It's up to the player to now finish the season really strongly and reassure everyone how he deals with those efforts from 20 to 25 yards.

1. We can’t defend for toffee. Head the ball in the box not high kick ffs. Also follow up shots. Slow to react

2. it was a dead rubber. Two teams with little to play for

3. Squad needs an overhaul in the summer