Points | Vital Football

factchecker

Vital Squad Member
I'll admit I got it wrong. Up until the last couple of weeks, I was convinced that 48 points would be enough to stay up. In my defence, I'm going to claim that Forest 0 Blackburn 1 is an anomaly and that if it had gone as it should, they wouldn't have got to 48. But it's tenuous.

Looking at the league, all the points totals are high. 50 is almost always comfortably safe - a team on 51 went down; 75 almost always makes the play-offs but not for Leeds and 92 almost always wins the title but 93 wasn't enough for Brighton.

Rotherham's pitiful total accounts for some of that but most of it seems to be a result of a very low number of draws. Looking back at the last few seasons:

2013/14: 156
2014/15: 158 (Derby finished 8th with 77 points this season but the bottom 3 were 26, 39, 41)
2015/16: 172
2015/17: 130

Certainly something to look at when considering points targets in future seasons.

No, you're a weird obsessive focusing on useless and pointless trivia.

factchecker - 8/5/2017 10:46

I'll admit I got it wrong. Up until the last couple of weeks, I was convinced that 48 points would be enough to stay up. In my defence, I'm going to claim that Forest 0 Blackburn 1 is an anomaly and that if it had gone as it should, they wouldn't have got to 48. But it's tenuous.

Looking at the league, all the points totals are high. 50 is almost always comfortably safe - a team on 51 went down; 75 almost always makes the play-offs but not for Leeds and 92 almost always wins the title but 93 wasn't enough for Brighton.

Rotherham's pitiful total accounts for some of that but most of it seems to be a result of a very low number of draws. Looking back at the last few seasons:

2013/14: 156
2014/15: 158 (Derby finished 8th with 77 points this season but the bottom 3 were 26, 39, 41)
2015/16: 172
2015/17: 130

Certainly something to look at when considering points targets in future seasons.

No, you're a weird obsessive focusing on useless and pointless trivia.

er as someone else who is not doing any work and lost in planet football right now I would suggest this may become a new trend as the league begins to show the impact of the less than level playing field and greater stratification. Think we have been watching the championship start to resemble the prem as fewer teams will realistically be competing at the top end. Hope we don't end up on the wrong side of the divide like we have done with the prem