Points prediction for top 7? Ever the optimist | Page 5 | Vital Football

Points prediction for top 7? Ever the optimist

I've just redone the fishy prediction thingy entering Gillingham as winning their last two games 1-0.

As I suspected it's our appalling Goal Difference that will probably decide our fate.

Two 1-0 wins would give us 69 points which, according to the predictor, would leave us joint 7th or, more precisely, 9th.

i.e We'd be the third of three teams finishing on 69 points, missing the play offs on GD.

If that does happen I'd be really gutted. In fact I'd rather a scenario where we simply lose at Mansfield and can enjoy a game v Doncaster where there's nothing hanging on the result.

For anyone fondly remembering when we were top after 7 games, we still had a poor goal difference (5 for, 5 against). Less than a goal a game and the only side in the top 8 without a positive gd.
The run in winds up with Mansfield who will be very tough. Either celebrating after promotion tonight or going for it against us in their last home game and a full house.
Donny as our last game will also be no home banker. They are really flying at the moment as the L2 form side.
2 points would be my guess. 4 points would be outstanding. 6 points would be as likely as WX being happy with all our summer signings.

Last edited:
I guess we are looking for a barrow tonight ? I think we have a less than 10% chance of reaching the playoffs but it would be nice in the Donny game still had something riding on it.

Like queueing up for 3 hours for a theme park ride and then hoping it breaks down when you get to the front of the queue because a stroll back down the stairs seems more relaxing.

No. The scenario I'm dreading is more like if you've queued up 3 hours for the ride, enjoyed the first three quarters of it before it breaks down and ruins the rest of your day, week and beyond.

The bad memory will stay forever and only be sweetened if the next time all goes according to plan. In the case of a theme park this might be a few months later. In The Gills case it can't happen until 2025.

No. The scenario I'm dreading is more like if you've queued up 3 hours for the ride, enjoyed the first three quarters of it before it breaks down and ruins the rest of your day, week and beyond.

The bad memory will stay forever and only be sweetened if the next time all goes according to plan. In the case of a theme park this might be a few months later. In The Gills case it can't happen until 2025.
...or get to the front of a 30 minute queue and the grand kids decide they really must have another wee.

Preface this post to say I always hope for the best and prepare for the worst, but never bother moaning, because what's the point? 😊

I have had a quick look at the top 7 points tally in league 2 over the past 10 years (ignore covid league) and as low as 70 points seems to have clinched it. Let's add a +1 to that due to our GD, so 71.

20 points from our remaining 12 fixtures? 7 wins (lovely), 6 wins 2 draws (lovely), 5 wins 5 draws (nailbiting)

This article gives me blind confidence, I love that the lads are in this mindset:

What do you think?
I think that was a pretty good prediction from yourself. It was as low as 70 points for Crawley to make the playoffs, but we’d have needed 71 due to our rubbish GD.
Everyone else who commented can check back on their playoff points predictions above.

............. I'd rather a scenario where we simply lose at Mansfield and can enjoy a game v Doncaster where there's nothing hanging on the result.

And so it turned out.

Realising that, if we'd won at Mansfield and beaten Doncaster, we'd still have missed out on the play-offs was a bonus.