Points prediction for top 7? Ever the optimist | Vital Football

Points prediction for top 7? Ever the optimist

chrissygills

Vital Newbie
Preface this post to say I always hope for the best and prepare for the worst, but never bother moaning, because what's the point? 😊

I have had a quick look at the top 7 points tally in league 2 over the past 10 years (ignore covid league) and as low as 70 points seems to have clinched it. Let's add a +1 to that due to our GD, so 71.

20 points from our remaining 12 fixtures? 7 wins (lovely), 6 wins 2 draws (lovely), 5 wins 5 draws (nailbiting)

This article gives me blind confidence, I love that the lads are in this mindset:

What do you think?

Problem is that there is always this bullish talk after a good win but then 20 minutes in to a following game we often look slow and ponderous in mind and body.

Of course, if we could keep our energy levels up and hit a vein of form like the first 4 games of the season, we do have a very outside chance of automatics particularly if two of the current top four start feeling the pressure. I think we hit a dodgy home spell at about this time in the Mad Dog promotion year so it is possible.

The recent improvement in home form does give me more optimism of reaching the play offs with as much as 75 points. Let's go for that.

I think we need to get 14 points from the 7 games in March.

By the time we've played Crewe on Good Friday I think we'll know how likely the play-offs are.

Automatic - No chance.

Can’t see us making automatic but with so many teams in the mix for the playoffs and taking points off each other who knows what total will be needed for top 7

As you say the key is consistency, we need to find it quickly if we are to challenge top 3 and will need a degree of it for top 7.

Walsall have appeared out of no where. Its so tight in league 2 that any club that goes on a run will be threat. Two big games coming up lets see if we can find any consistency. I wonder if Gills will stay in the NW and not travel back saturday.

As you say the key is consistency, we need to find it quickly if we are to challenge top 3 and will need a degree of it for top 7.

Walsall have appeared out of no where. Its so tight in league 2 that any club that goes on a run will be threat. Two big games coming up lets see if we can find any consistency. I wonder if Gills will stay in the NW and not travel back saturday.
We know that usually, a team comes from nowhere and a team fall like a stone as we get to the business end of the season.
All the time it's mathematically possible, we are in with a chance.
Knick the last playoff spot on the last day and it becomes cup football.
We've done ok in the cups this season.

I've browsed the remaining fixtures of the top 9 and still am not waived from my optimism! lots of teams in the mix are playing eachother and I genuinely beleive we are "capable" of winning all our remaining games. We won't, but we can!

I'm now running on hope rather than expectation. Ideally, if we could only win one of the last 2 away games, I would have preferred it to be Barrow rather than Salford. The games in hand and fact they could leapfrog us is harder to make back up again.
But as others say, lots to play for and there will be surprises every week.
For some reason I'm not happy at Doncaster being our last game. Just hope we have secured a play off spot by then.

I'm now running on hope rather than expectation. Ideally, if we could only win one of the last 2 away games, I would have preferred it to be Barrow rather than Salford. The games in hand and fact they could leapfrog us is harder to make back up again.
But as others say, lots to play for and there will be surprises every week.
For some reason I'm not happy at Doncaster being our last game. Just hope we have secured a play off spot by then.
I think Barrow will be out of our reach now, unless we beat them at home. Looking at the table after the Tranmere game, our away game at the wombles screams to me a must win! with the teams piling up below us all having game/s in hand.

If we can beat wimbledon, then it is looking like a mini league with us, walsall, morecombe, crawley, bradford. Their fixtures (on paper) along with ours still give me real hope that we can do it!🙏

League 2 makes a tough look today. I think realistically only really looking at the last playoff spot now. Crewe and MK probably too far ahead for us to chase down. If barrow win their games in hand then they will be too far ahead, especially if they avoid defeat to us.

This squad has definitly underperformed and although the strikers are the key issue we also have to ask why lapslie and jonny falls over have not delivered either.

In the summer we need power and pace, same as last summer. Lets hope we get it right this time

Too many first halves drift by in the hope we can make it to half time, yesterday Tranmere should have been out of sight.
So coach, change after 25 minutes yesterday’s shape needed adjustment or personnel.seem to remember a Neill Harris match at home with similar problems and a senior pro went down to the turf and the manager was changing shape on the the sidelines and we were more organised after the manufactured break.

I reckon we'll end up on around 66 points, and sadly outside of the playoffs.

My top 10 prediction, using my patented analysis engine (my anus):

1. Stockport (92)
2. Mansfield (91)
3. Wrexham (87)
===========
4. Crewe (80)
5. MK Dons (78)
6. Barrow (77)
7. Walsall (71)
===========
8. Bradford (70)
9. Crawley (69)
10. Gillingham (66)

Not a doom monger by any means,as followed now for 50 years,think we will end up well adrift of top 7,missed few games this year due to age related weather lol.most of what I’ve seen we only turn up between 15 and 45 minutes per game,just don’t get it.numerous games we should be 2 or more goals behind at least by half time
Downfall like everyone knows is upfront,totally toothless and then release Nichols n Bonne.bring in Walker who Clemence can’t rate,
Mahoney was my MOM with Masterson,yes he is a luxury at times,but he turned game yesterday,compared to Nads who just didn’t turn up.
Just wonder how much Brad is willing to put in next year

League 2 makes a tough look today. I think realistically only really looking at the last playoff spot now. Crewe and MK probably too far ahead for us to chase down. If barrow win their games in hand then they will be too far ahead, especially if they avoid defeat to us.

This squad has definitly underperformed and although the strikers are the key issue we also have to ask why lapslie and jonny falls over have not delivered either.

In the summer we need power and pace, same as last summer. Lets hope we get it right this time

The form book means nothing in L2 for the rest of the season. Anyone can still beat anyone.
Yesterday Doncaster beat Crewe 2- 0 and Forest Green beating Walsall 2- 0 let us back in to the play offs.
Clemence just
has to stop these lethargic first 45 minute performances and we might just still stay in there.

The form book means nothing in L2 for the rest of the season. Anyone can still beat anyone.
Yesterday Doncaster beat Crewe 2- 0 and Forest Green beating Walsall 2- 0 let us back in to the play offs.
Clemence just
has to stop these lethargic first 45 minute performances and we might just still stay in there.

Absolutely anyone can beat anyone but we have to make up points now with most clubs having games in hand. The problem is many playoff chasing clubs will be playing each other meaning at least one will get points. We need to make up ground and I suspect too many clubs are in the chasing pack for us to do so.

I thought we needed 7 from 9 from the weeks games - I still do - so wins against AFCW and Grimsby needed.

I reckon we'll end up on around 66 points, and sadly outside of the playoffs.

My top 10 prediction, using my patented analysis engine (my anus):

1. Stockport (92)
2. Mansfield (91)
3. Wrexham (87)
===========
4. Crewe (80)
5. MK Dons (78)
6. Barrow (77)
7. Walsall (71)
===========
8. Bradford (70)
9. Crawley (69)
10. Gillingham (66)
I note that you have Crawley ending the season ahead of the Gills. Could well happen, they had a good win yesterday. But, what a thought - especially if Crawley leap frog us to the play-offs - what would Darcy say ......