Plymouth v Scunthorpe yesterday | Vital Football

Plymouth v Scunthorpe yesterday

Don’t have access to that link yet. But I hear it was similar to the Leeds/Villa goal except they didn’t allow Plymouth an un-opposed equaliser.

If that’s all true, I imagine there will be a bit of bad blood between the clubs for a few years.

And agree, very fortunate that it didn’t end up affecting the relegation outcome.

Yes in many ways it was worse than the Villa/Leeds scenario, because the Plymouth keeper was the injured person himself.
He threw the ball out to the sideline to get treatment, and the Scunny player ran over to stop it going out, then ran in towards the area and lobbed it over the injured keeper into the net!! Bang of of order, I was amazed that the Scunny manager didn't let Plymouth have a walk in goal, because at that stage Scunny were definitely relegated what ever happened.

In part defense to the player, when the keeper went down on his knee to signal injury then almost all the players on the screen were looking away. It is possible but it isn't clear from the replay that the player who scored was looking away when the keeper looked to throw the ball out and so wasn't aware of the situation.

Certainly when the keeper rose to catch the ball initially and upon trying to stop the ball going in and the aftermath, there was little in his movement suggesting injury.

Most of the time when keepers get injured they tend to hold onto the ball until the referee stops the game, allows them treatment and then does an uncontested drop ball at the keeper's feet.

Feel for Scunny fans a bit they are generally a good sort having met a few over the years.

Ooops! Poor gamesmanship but not surprising behaviour given the nature and importance of the game. Doesn’t excuse it though IMO.

Surprised Plymouth went down as they played decent football whereas Scunthorpe came down to the Gills and spent most of the game time wasting.

I am always surprised how bad Argyle are considering their catchment area, the size of the city and decent attendances.