Plymouth Argyle (h): Michael Appleton Press Conference | Vital Football

Plymouth Argyle (h): Michael Appleton Press Conference

Michael Appleton took time to discuss the criteria for team selection and the position of several individuals ahead of the game versus Plymouth Argyle:

Games to Date - MA is expecting a number of the teams we have already played to do much better in the league over a full season. He name checked Oxford, also Charlton who did (late) good transfer business. Fleetwood are an example of a side that did well last season and in spite of them playing a far more direct style against Imps on Saturday, MA sees them as a side with a wealth of experience to be right up there. He believed that arguably the Fleetwood game was Imps best performance of the season thus far.

At this stage it is all about collecting points though and by the end of October 'we' will have played 10 games and that can be a time to see where we are.

As an aside MA highlighted that the 7pm midweek kick off time was a good thing from his point of view. It cut down on the waiting time that can be much of a drag especially on away trips. When crowds return MA hopes there will be a common sense discussion about retaining the earlier kick offs seeing it as a boon for families attending games.

Plymouth - They are a good side who in Ryan Lowe have a well respected manager; he has enjoyed success at L1 and L2 level. They play a good brand of football, usually deploying three at the back. MA is hopeful and confident of a good, open game of football.

Squad Selection and Individual Players Status - Choosing a starting 11 is based upon several factors including the human/medical, who the opposition are and the turn around time i.e. is it 3 or 4 days. Joe Walsh for example will be telling MA he is fit to play but he has to consider the medical advice about back to back games after such a long lay off and running the risk of a much longer injury as a consequence.

Jorge Grant is a concern and it is a bit of a mystery what the problem is. He came off on Saturday feeling sick and dizzy with people wrongly assuming he had concussion. Jorge will see a doctor today and we need to get to the bottom of it.

Tom Hopper came through the game fine and has done some training. Adam Jackson is still carrying an ankle knock but there are other CH options in Sean Roughan and TJ Eyoma. So far as MA is concerned the bigger and tougher the decisions he has to make on selection, it paradoxically makes his life easier.

Alex Bradley is a week away and has missed one transfer window but he can go out on loan to NL clubs. However that is absolutely Alexs' decision and MA will not be pushing him out the door as he is more than happy to have Alex around. At the same time he would never stand in the way of a player getting game time.

Callum Morton will be doing his re-hab at Lincoln. He is desperate to be part of the group and to be involved. The feeling from MA is mutual. He knows that opposition managers are aware of what a real handful Callum is and MA cannot wait for him to be back as a real boost to the strength of the team and squad.

Cheers Hully. Top as ever.

Not sure I'd be keen on keeping the 7pm starters for the night games as that would make them a complete impossibility to get to rather than a I might if I could get away in time one. It's all about me as you can tell!!!!

Not sure I'd be keen on keeping the 7pm starters for the night games as that would make them a complete impossibility to get to rather than a I might if I could get away in time one. It's all about me as you can tell!!!!
Same here. That's two votes against, how many more can we get?

I'm for it.

Good summary as always. The fact that Morton wants to rehab here rather that WBA with its better facilities reflects well on our club and asign of how well the group get on and the respect for MAPP.

I’m quite happy with the 7pm start at the moment whilst on I-follow but would prefer to return to 7-45pm when we can return in person. I only live 15 miles away but it would cause a problem for exiles I’m sure.

I'm an exile, but would prefer the 7pm start. I have to take a half day off work anyway, so would hopefully mean making it home for midnight.
I think that the earlier start would also make a difference to the number of (local) kids that coould get to the game.

No need to worry for those wanting 7.45pm kickoffs - almost certain they will return when we do - bigger attendances = £££

A significant % of our support travels from outside Lincoln. Evening attendances are already lower for three main reasons.

1 People that work night shifts
2 People who live too far away to get there after work
3 Kids (whose bedtimes stops them attending)

Can't do much about number 1

Increasing the radius of the area from which people can get to the match by 30+ miles (45 minutes car journey) will increase the attendance significantly.

If you leave work around 6pm and live reasonably close by or leave at 5pm and have to travel further, that extra time will decide if you can attend or not.

I doubt the amount of children that would be allowed to go if their bed time was 9.30pm but not if it was 10.15pm. Or 11.00pm instead of 11.45pm would be very great... and the revenue from kids attending matches is also considerably lower than adults.
(Night time matches coinciding with school holidays however would make sense).

No need for such extreme points of view, let's negotiate and work out a compromise. Games to start at 7.22.30 pm: you know it makes sense. :grinning: