Playing Super Mario 64 Makes Your Brain Bigger | Page 2 | Vital Football

Playing Super Mario 64 Makes Your Brain Bigger

Yeah looked staged to me but only seen it once so not sure if somebody had voiced over, filmed over or both, but very funny.

DS was the first proper console we got the eldest years ago, plenty of fluffy animal and vet games, but also brain training (which reminds me must start the youngest on it for a laugh as well) where we all take turns, and she used to giggle at 'beating us' - there's always a way to achieve an aim if you're clever lol

Simple puzzle based stuff though, keeps the brain working. Good way to veg out for half an hour I'm always found without getting as 'in' to a proper game as I can't relax with them, it becomes a personal battle and if the game goes wrong I start sharpening the axe PSML

Amazing really in 20 years (my gaming span properly) how far graphics and interaction has come when you go back to Donkey Kong, simple platform stuff as then Wing Commander with the graphics there which really was an amazing breakthrough.

I'm a fan of both Puzzle games and the immersive modern Console epic. I can get lost in a whole new World with one, albeit it tends to be ones where you have to solve problems, not just shoot everyone, and sharpen the grey matter with the other. My Android tablet is as much a gaming device as a work machine. It's so easy to carry with you, and the range of games is amazing.

With 4K TVs coming out, wait until the next generation of games. They already amaze me with the detail, so how good is it going to get?

I remember playing a demo version of the Viz game on a Commodore console which used cassettes. It took an hour to load and you'd die in ten seconds.

Commodore loading times from Tape. That brings back memories. If it didn't work you had to start all over again. You spent more time waiting than actually playing. Great days learning all about these new systems with my mates.

Atari ST was the same although a step on - floppy discs. At least with tape driven stuff, you had the fun of piddling around to line up the tape thinking it gave you a better shot of loading it first time lol And then the old...fast forward to the end, turn the tape over, fast forward to the end, turn the tape over and try again like it was some fantastic reset fix lol

Another 20 years, fully immersive gaming, 3D, physical actions and VR based games will mostly replace films I think. You won't watch a character anymore, you'll be the character and play the film out your own way. Seems the only logical conclusion for me with how they are growing things.

Yup, first steps were made VR wise about a decade ago from memory but very basic. Even the Gadget Show 4 years ago, plumbed together an immersive platform for Gears of War (rubber bullets to simulate hits, multi direction rollers to simulate real movement and running and so on) and if that can be done commercially already (although bloody expensive no doubt) some 'house' is already at least twice as far along in development.

I'd love to try it out to be honest when it's stable, but it does make me wonder why kids can't just enjoy what I'd call classic gaming now. Computer games used to be a way of relaxing, now physically along with neuro reactions it's like a bloody exercise regime.

Sadly doubt we'll ever be around when it's fully taken hold, just hope it doesn't go the way where future generations are just 'plugged in' Matrix and many other film stylie. But you know somebody will develop that!

mike_field - 6/11/2013 22:08

Yup, first steps were made VR wise about a decade ago from memory but very basic. Even the Gadget Show 4 years ago, plumbed together an immersive platform for Gears of War (rubber bullets to simulate hits, multi direction rollers to simulate real movement and running and so on) and if that can be done commercially already (although bloody expensive no doubt) some 'house' is already at least twice as far along in development.

I'd love to try it out to be honest when it's stable, but it does make me wonder why kids can't just enjoy what I'd call classic gaming now. Computer games used to be a way of relaxing, now physically along with neuro reactions it's like a bloody exercise regime.

Sadly doubt we'll ever be around when it's fully taken hold, just hope it doesn't go the way where future generations are just 'plugged in' Matrix and many other film stylie. But you know somebody will develop that!

The thing is, the kids today will look back on today's games with the same fondness, just like our parents looked back on a stick and hoop. I'm sure that at one point in time Books were frowned upon because they threated the spoken word. It is the way humanity works.

http://gadgetshow.channel5.com/gadget-show/blog/series-18-episode-5-virtual-reality-gaming

Hoping to be commercial release by 2016 if I heard right.

I used to luv them old bbc computer games at school little red riiding hood etc hehe

When i can i luv a blast on Fifa 13 and Modern Warfare 2 but don't play this that often anymore tbh, but on Fifa i am soooo good and i luv it cos i have my ultimate team with uprated players playing in the Villa strips and Villa badge and beat the scousers for fun huh huh

mike_field - 11/11/2013 21:30

http://gadgetshow.channel5.com/gadget-show/blog/series-18-episode-5-virtual-reality-gaming

Hoping to be commercial release by 2016 if I heard right.

I saw that tonight. I think I'm going to have to give away some of my furniture. I've got to make room for it!!!! I mentioned the Oculus Rift a few pages back, but that's the first time I've seen the platform.

And who says pretty girls aren't interested in games. I don't know about you, but all sorts of ideas came to mind watching Rachel on that contraption.

Ms Riley despite her sporting preference definitely brings to mind some vigorous joystick work.

Saw her first on Countdown in the wee hours of the morning, I've never been so interested in that show before to be honest. Certainly gives the brain a work out.

LOL Mike did you see her on Strictly come dancing phwoooooar was my initial response after that i was just sitting back having vivid imaginations of some pretty nice thoughts tbh, but she could borrow my joystick anytime you never know she may need another?