Players that proved us wrong | Page 4 | Vital Football

Players that proved us wrong

Tbh I thought you had left. Are you keeping your fitness up in case you’re needed for that final playoff push?

Nope, I still turn up daily for training, at McDonald's. No idea if I'm in Evans' plans, but I'll be at Wembley whether I'm needed or not 🙂

Nope, I still turn up daily for training, at McDonald's. No idea if I'm in Evans' plans, but I'll be at Wembley whether I'm needed or not 🙂

I assume you are talking about training at Alex McDonald’s house and not the crappy fast food joint.

When does your contract end?

I assume you are talking about training at Alex McDonald’s house and not the crappy fast food joint.

When does your contract end?

Sorry, Uber Eats!
Open contact, so maybe I'll be playing with us in the championship next season 😊

I have vague, possibly mis-remembered recollections of Iwan Roberts scoring a hattrick against us, so again thought he could be a decent signing, but we got him far too late in his career unfortunately by which time he was only fit for non league football.

The season before Roberts signed for us, he was part of a Norwich side who were clear champions who won 94 points in the league. They got promoted and decided the Premier League was a step too far and didn't offer a new contract. They signed Dean Ashton instead. I seem to recall a load of Norwich fans thought Roberts should have been given the reward of at least one season in the flight for being a cult hero and I think I read an article about how gutted he was to be leaving.

He looked good in a confident promoted side but was clearly destined to struggle in a poor Gillingham side.

Worth noting that all three of his Gillingham goals were actually winning goals.

The thing with Lomas and Roberts (even Wallace and Johnson to a lesser extent) was that their bodies were shot. You could see what they wanted to do, the touch, vision, skill and knowing in their head what they wanted to do were still there but the physical ability to get around the pitch as they had done 5 years previously to joining us had just gone. A real shamee, but I guess we wouldn't have had them here at all if they'd been in their prime, or even close to it.
Totally agree although I always felt with Wallace and Johnson that the effort was there. (some of TJ's touches were sublime)Tbh, I don't remember seeing Lomas much as that was the season (IIRC) that I had to give up my ST but Roberts just looked lazy and over the hill to me, just never took to the bloke. I suppose lots of players reach that stage at some time but I like to think that most bow out before it starts to notice. Can't say I ever saw Hessy show that sort of attitude for example, I'm sure he'd still be playing now if his body would let him.