Player poll who would like to see leave ? | Vital Football

Player poll who would like to see leave ?

Which player or players would you like to see go this summer?

• Morris

Votes: 22 50.0%
  • Turner

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Hutton

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • McKenzie

• Masterson

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Ehmer

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • Ogie

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Malone

Votes: 28 63.6%
  • Max Clark

• Coleman

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Shaun Williams

Votes: 41 93.2%
  • Dieng

Votes: 23 52.3%
  • Lapslie

Votes: 21 47.7%
  • Jonny Williams

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • Mahoney

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • Nadesan

Votes: 40 90.9%
  • Walker

Votes: 41 93.2%
  • Hawkins

Votes: 16 36.4%
  • Andrews

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters

chris who

Vital Champions League
You can pick as many or few as you wish.
Clearly only a percentage will be out of contract this is very much part of any decision. This is your chance to give your verdict on players almost regardless of the contract situation.
I've made it private so you can vote and keep your views to yourself or post in the comments below.
Of the attacking players I would cut everybody possible Andrews and Jonny Williams apart .I think Jonny would be far more productive in a more mobile team.

Last edited:
It really depends on who we are targeting.

Clemence explained that Alexander took a pay off when he was told he would not get much game time after the signing of Hutton, so his departure was directly related to that signing.

For instance, I would let Dieng go but not without at least one replacement box to box midfielder who might be younger and have more energy.

I would keep one out of Lapslie and J Williams but not too bothered which. Defensively, I would be 50/50 about McKenzie as he has never really nailed down his place, but can fill in almost anywhere.

Do we let Hawkins go? Depends on whether we completely scrap any notion of playing a direct game and holding the ball up. If Andrews turns out to have a weakness that makes him injury prone, could we be back to playing another version of Bonne who is not suited to being a lone striker? Alfie May wouldn't have been either IMHO.

On the basis that SC says he is happy with most of the players, I have gone for S Williams, Dieng, Malone and Nadesan with loan players Mahoney and Walker going back to their clubs.

I note that Dom Jefferies is not on the list but he may leave, whether we like it or not, if rumours are true.

Last edited:
Quicker to pick who i want to keep.
:(
(Andrews, Hotton, Coleman, Ogie)
Think Masterson wants off, given his form of late.

Like this. Those are the 4 we need to keep at all costs, with Masterson - as you say - if we can.

Someone voted to get rid of Coleman. I'm ready for a scrap now... :)
He's far and away our PotY in my opinion.

Like this. Those are the 4 we need to keep at all costs, with Masterson - as you say - if we can.

Someone voted to get rid of Coleman. I'm ready for a scrap now... :)
He's far and away our PotY in my opinion.
I am interested in what impresses people most about Coleman.

He has the manager's confidence as he is selected when fit but that means he has played in nearly every bad performance as well as nearly every good one.

He hasn't scored and you can count his assists on one hand.

If we see him as the defensive midfielder that protects the defence, like Rice was at West Ham, then he was as responsible for caving in at Harrogate as much as the back four.

I agree that he is a very promising player and a reasonable passer in SC's slow passing game and I wouldn't want to lose him but he seems beyond criticism on here which, considering how much moaning goes on, is somewhat bizarre.

It really depends on who we are targeting.

Clemence explained that Alexander took a pay off when he was told he would not get much game time after the signing of Hutton, so his departure was directly related to that signing.

For instance, I would let Dieng go but not without at least one replacement box to box midfielder who might be younger and have more energy.

I would keep one out of Lapslie and J Williams but not too bothered which. Defensively, I would be 50/50 about McKenzie as he has never really nailed down his place, but can fill in almost anywhere.

Do we let Hawkins go? Depends on whether we completely scrap any notion of playing a direct game and holding the ball up. If Andrews turns out to have a weakness that makes him injury prone, could we be back to playing another version of Bonne who is not suited to being a lone striker? Alfie May wouldn't have been either IMHO.

On the basis that SC says he is happy with most of the players, I have gone for S Williams, Dieng, Malone and Nadesan with loan players Mahoney and Walker going back to their clubs.

I note that Dom Jefferies is not on the list but he may leave, whether we like it or not, if rumours are true.
Hawkins ? Really ? Surely there's no earthly reason why we would want to persist with the player and tactic that failed us week in week out. The last thing we need is a striker whose main alleged attribute is his ability to 'hold the ball up'. We've got plenty of other players who do little else.

He has the manager's confidence as he is selected when fit but that means he has played in nearly every bad performance as well as nearly every good one.

If we see him as the defensive midfielder that protects the defence, like Rice was at West Ham, then he was as responsible for caving in at Harrogate as much as the back four.

I agree that he is a very promising player and a reasonable passer in SC's slow passing game and I wouldn't want to lose him but he seems beyond criticism on here which, considering how much moaning goes on, is somewhat bizarre.
He is the Marcus Browning of the team. Quietly very busy. Goes unnoticed but breaks up play a lot. He’s my POTY.

Ok, so I'll go. I watch Coleman probably more than any other Gills player off the ball.

What I love about him is his positioning and game IQ. A lot of what people notice is tackles and interceptions at the point of incident - he's got a very uncanny knack for someone so young to read the game and be in the right spot. He's quick to close and confident in tight spaces.
I've also lost count of the times he's covered instinctively - he does the leg work but it's invisible unless you watch him specifically. A good CDM has that knack. The reason we've been so good defensively is in large part down to the work he does ahead of the back line.

I also think his forward play is underrated and still developing - he's a good passer and sees the field really well. In fact I think we need to utilise him more going forward because the long ball is very predictable at times and he has the ability to move the ball well. His movement is better than most of his peers, perhaps J. Williams excepted, imo. His confidence increase in just 12 months has been extraordinary too and is perhaps the most impressive thing - just 51 senior appearances for us and I already think he's one of the very first names on the teamsheet.

He has the potential to play higher, imo - I don't agree he's beyond criticism - like Ogie, who also has significant potential - they do make mistakes and I think we see them. But as players, that's part of the development process. Neither are part of the finished article.

But I'd implore Gills fans to watch Coleman off the ball to appreciate what he has. It's the little stuff that makes a team successful.

I give our recruitment team some stick but this one was a very good signing.

Ok, so I'll go. I watch Coleman probably more than any other Gills player off the ball.

What I love about him is his positioning and game IQ. A lot of what people notice is tackles and interceptions at the point of incident - he's got a very uncanny knack for someone so young to read the game and be in the right spot. He's quick to close and confident in tight spaces.
I've also lost count of the times he's covered instinctively - he does the leg work but it's invisible unless you watch him specifically. A good CDM has that knack. The reason we've been so good defensively is in large part down to the work he does ahead of the back line.

I also think his forward play is underrated and still developing - he's a good passer and sees the field really well. In fact I think we need to utilise him more going forward because the long ball is very predictable at times and he has the ability to move the ball well. His movement is better than most of his peers, perhaps J. Williams excepted, imo. His confidence increase in just 12 months has been extraordinary too and is perhaps the most impressive thing - just 51 senior appearances for us and I already think he's one of the very first names on the teamsheet.

He has the potential to play higher, imo - I don't agree he's beyond criticism - like Ogie, who also has significant potential - they do make mistakes and I think we see them. But as players, that's part of the development process. Neither are part of the finished article.

But I'd implore Gills fans to watch Coleman off the ball to appreciate what he has. It's the little stuff that makes a team successful.

I give our recruitment team some stick but this one was a very good signing.

Great post, Coleman my POTY by some distance. I feel confident that that Coleman along with Ogie and Jeffries will play at a higher level.

Yes, Ogie, has made a few mistakes but he’s young and now gaining confidence going forward as well like his shot and run vs Grimsby at home.

I would keep Coleman, Andrews, Hutton, Ogie, Jeffries and Masterson.

I honestly don’t mind if any of the others go, Ehmer is the only other likeable player because can clearly see he gives 100% and makes the most of his ability but probably another year is a stretch too far.

I don't think Coleman should be playing in the the wingback system unless he is to plays as one of the centre backs where he can move into midfield when we have the ball.

5 defenders + Coleman+ keeper is 7 defensive players leaving only a maximum of 4 attack minded players. Is it really surprising we struggle to score goals?

I would keep Coleman, Andrews, Hutton, Ogie, Jeffries and Masterson.

I get the impression Connor Masterson will be off to higher leagues in the summer. Otherwise, agree to try to keep all those players. Quality and all young.

I’d also keep Max Clark as a competent RB and Robbie McKenzie as a quality utility man, he covers all areas across the back line.

Would prefer us to keep either of JW and GL but not both. If there are other clubs in for either one of them, then moving on will add more to our striker budget. Same for Mahoney. Keep if he accepts a lot lower wage than he’s reputedly on. Otherwise let him move elsewhere.

Dieng, Clarke, Hawk all decent enough for the squad , but stay or go won’t matter too much. I think Nads will probably be asked to look elsewhere if he’s still contracted. Walker needn’t be on the list, he won’t be back here will he?

I think Shaun Williams and Max might both retire or move on, unless still contracted. But both can still be very useful squad members if only for experience.

I don’t mind both keepers staying. Both are good enough for L2 definitely don't need to spend extra to improve that area. Again, keep it for strikers/wingers. We’ll be better off keeping our main transfer outlays on forward areas. I think we need to go very hard to get 2 quality additions up forward so won’t be able to spend much elsewhere.

There are some of our fans I would like to get rid of first but I don't know their names. I'll start with the one at the back of RE block 3, who can't wait to start describing his hatred of Clemence. He likes to use the C word as noun, adjective and verb in his full volume outbursts.

5 defenders + Coleman+ keeper is 7 defensive players leaving only a maximum of 4 attack minded players. Is it really surprising we struggle to score goals?

It’s not quite so binary as that. The idea of using wingbacks is that they get up the pitch and get crosses into the box (which is proving pointless given the potency of our forward line).

I wouldn’t write them off as simply defensive players.

Additionally playing with three centrebacks should in theory give Masterson and Ogie more license to get forward, even more so with Coleman in midfield.

[QUOTE="OneSirKeefy, post: 4189738,

I don’t mind both keepers staying. Both are good enough for L2 definitely don't need to spend extra to improve that area. Again, keep it for strikers/wingers. We’ll be better off keeping our main transfer outlays on forward areas. I think we need to go very hard to get 2 quality additions up forward so won’t be able to spend much elsewhere.
[/QUOTE]

We signed Nathan Harvey who has been out on loan all season. I suspect Morris will leave and he will become number two to Turner. I guess a lot will depend on if he is happy to continue as number 2 and his wages and how Harvey has developed over the last year.

I don't think Coleman should be playing in the the wingback system unless he is to plays as one of the centre backs where he can move into midfield when we have the ball.

Funnily I think he's ideal for the wingback system - provided it's Hutton and someone attack minded on the left. Coleman works east to west really well and is a safety blanket when they move on.

He's also the sort who can come shorter and facilitate the movement/triangles needed to pass out rather than hoof and that needs to happen wide and centrally.

I don't see Hutton as a true defender. We need someone similar on the left.

Funnily I think he's ideal for the wingback system - provided it's Hutton and someone attack minded on the left. Coleman works east to west really well and is a safety blanket when they move on.

He's also the sort who can come shorter and facilitate the movement/triangles needed to pass out rather than hoof and that needs to happen wide and centrally.

I don't see Hutton as a true defender. We need someone similar on the left.
That might work if the left and right sided centre backs are mobile enough to fill in at right and left back enabling the wingbacks to push on forward we just don't have that at the moment on the left.

I think that is part of the problem. A mix of good players but not signed to fulfil a particular role in a system or style of play.

It’s not quite so binary as that. The idea of using wingbacks is that they get up the pitch and get crosses into the box (which is proving pointless given the potency of our forward line).

I wouldn’t write them off as simply defensive players.

Additionally playing with three centrebacks should in theory give Masterson and Ogie more license to get forward, even more so with Coleman in midfield.
Except we don't really have that on the left. We have a few players who fit one system and a few who will work better in another but we don't have 11 or near it that can all thrive in one style/system.

Except we don't really have that on the left. We have a few players who fit one system and a few who will work better in another but we don't have 11 or near it that can all thrive in one style/system.

Indeed, and therein lies probably our biggest issue this season - square pigs in round holes.