Player of the season. | Page 2 | Vital Football

Player of the season.

Really interesting discussion: is the player of the season the one who is marked systematically after every game and finishes top mathematically, or is it less straightforward than that? Adam Jackson is top of our ratings mathematically but is he really our standout player this season? Lukas Jensen is being named by some, yet he is a long way behind in terms of the hard numbers.

Really interesting discussion: is the player of the season the one who is marked systematically after every game and finishes top mathematically, or is it less straightforward than that? Adam Jackson is top of our ratings mathematically but is he really our standout player this season? Lukas Jensen is being named by some, yet he is a long way behind in terms of the hard numbers.
Goalkeepers marks often reflect the quality of the defence in front of them. Relegated teams often have goalkeeper as one of their top performers as have plenty of chance to shine! Conversely I can remember some games where Lukas has been marked 6 with comments along the lines of had nothing to do really so can only mark standard.

Goalkeepers marks often reflect the quality of the defence in front of them. Relegated teams often have goalkeeper as one of their top performers as have plenty of chance to shine! Conversely I can remember some games where Lukas has been marked 6 with comments along the lines of had nothing to do really so can only mark standard.
Agreed. I think goalkeepers usually have to make some saves to get above 6 whereas defenders will usually get 7+ just for keeping a clean sheet, even if they've had nothing to do.

On the other hand, a striker, midfielder or winger is probably more likely to get a 5 if they have a "quiet game" and are expected to get goals and assists if they want to get higher marks.

That's my theory anyway.

Yup, been the most consistent player all year for me. Even when we were gash at the start of the season, he was the standout player. Erhahon has been great since Skubala came in but it felt like he had regressed until then.
In the latter days of the MK era Erhahon played as though he had no confidence in the management and frustrated with the negative anti football tactics. He probably called him out for imposting a professional football manager, much the same as some on here did 12 months earlier. I still can’t get my head around the lengths some fans went to defend the bloke, if Erhahon played a part in getting him gone he deserves all the awards on offer.

Agreed. I think goalkeepers usually have to make some saves to get above 6 whereas defenders will usually get 7+ just for keeping a clean sheet, even if they've had nothing to do.

On the other hand, a striker, midfielder or winger is probably more likely to get a 5 if they have a "quiet game" and are expected to get goals and assists if they want to get higher marks.

That's my theory anyway.
Conversely, a forward who does nothing else but score a goal, can often be given higher points than his overall performance warrants, so I think using points allocated during the season should only be a guide and eventually it’ll come down to perhaps three standout players to choose from and selection then becomes much easier.

In terms of consistency all season, it'd be Sorenson or Mitchell.

If it's based on the highest level of performances, allowing for some lack of consistency (the spell towards the end of MK), it'd be Erhahon.

Honourable mentions to Hackett (big impact on his return) and O'Connor (had a bit of a dip in form earlier in the season).

Erhahon for me. You don't always see all the work he does. Covering for others closely marking opposition players etc..
But yesterday clearly highlighted how much we lose when he isn't playing.