Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Lolley

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Grabban

Votes: 13 44.8%

• Total voters

Calvin Plummer

Vital Football Legend
I know it's been a tough end to the season but during it there has actually been much to admire from our players.

The Candidates (for me)

Matty Cash: his transformation to an attacking right back has been absolutely fundamental to the way we play. He's generally been really solid at the back, made great lung bursting runs and contributed 3 goals and 5 assists.

Joe Lolley: while he may not have hit the heights of last season his partnership with Cash down our right has carried most of our threat. 9 goals and 8 assists too.

Ameobi: did I want him here? No. Did I think he was a clumsy clueless oaf? Yes. Has he made me look a mug? Somewhat yes...while he won't win any awards for elegance he's become a very solid member of the team, a great outball for us and he has been chipping in more of late with 5 goals and 8 assists (mostly to Grabban).

Worrall: I think a few of us were concerned by reports coming from Rangers, and our central defence looked ropey on paper with an aging Dawson and injury prone or walking red cards as other options. With the exception of the odd lapse in concentration he has been a solid backbone and stepped into a leadership role. If he improves again next season (hopefully with us) he will be in the PL come what may.

Ben Watson: he's niggly, he's cynical, he has no respect for referees, no passing range, he's old, he's ginger, we wanted him gone. He was our linchpin, he almost single handedly turned us into a side opposition teams hated to face. It's no coincidence that as he faded so did we.

Lewis Grabban: took on an incredibly high work load, he set the tempo for the entire team for when to press and when to drop. He also carried us with his goals, 20 of them in fact.

Honourable mentions go to Sow who when available brought a real physicality to our midfield and Samba who for at least the first half of the season looked unbeatable and brought calm to the defence. If they both kick on next year it will be to our benefit.

Ribeiro, Silva and Tobias also played their part, if anyone wants to talk them up feel free to.

I went for Grabz, granted he did miss a few sitters but to get 20 from the little we created was terrific work. Always put a shift in and played virtually every game - a worthy winner in my book.

Honourable mentions to Cashy for adapting so well to his new role and boundless energy and Big Sammy for his work rate and unpredictability, the biggest surprise of the season for me.

Where’s Diakhaby FFS. I’d vote him for comedic value. Only time I laughed those last few games. That first touch that bounced off him like a shot, was hilarious.

Could have gone for any one of Cash, Samba, Worrall or Watson but plumped for Grabban. Not much in it but he worked tirelessly and thanklessly at times and to get 20 goals in this side and to keep working like that... How the fuck do we even start to replace him?

Ameobi for me. Proved many including me wrong. His unpredictability became one of the most predictable things in the team could go from world class to tripping over his boot laces in a matter of seconds. Has worked his bits off and was a brilliant outlet so many times. Team Never the same when he wasn't on the pitch

A lot of players with fantastic purple patches in that list yet nobody has kept up perfection all season. That's actually potentially quite good in terms of not losing key men.

Considering how long we've craved a 20 goal man, I've gone for Grabban. With our generally defensive mindset (which is fine by the way) you really need someone to convert the relatively rare possession and counterattacks into goals. He was almost always the man for those moments. Class.

Cash or Watson for me. Both have been great. Cash's transformation into a right-back has been brilliant and Watson went from being a liability to the glue that held the team together imo...Watson edges it for me..just.

Last edited:
I went for Grabban. How he stayed fit all season, I'll never know. Worked so hard on his own up front with little creativity from the other players.

Cash and Watson did well. But a special mention for Ameobi, considering I puked blood when he signed. He took me totally by surprise this season. Fair play to him.

Grabban scored some great goals. The two against Fulham. What should have been a winner at Millwall. The deft header against Blackburn. The little dink at Boro. The volley and clinical finish against Huddersfield etc.

I went for Watson, he really isn't my type of footballer in attitude or style but I think he was the most pivotal change to our side. He snarled and dragged us to becoming a really hard side to beat. He did all the nasty things and I wish he was 5 years younger. As he faded so did our dreams.
I agree and went for him too. I think you are a little unfair in your crit of his range of passing too because he has pulled off some beautiful defense splitters and some world class diagonal balls to the wingers to set off the counter attacks too.
All the best sides we have had have always featured a cynical no nonsense type of player that has done the dog work to allow the fancy boys to perform. Watson has exemplified that role for me this year.

Watz for me to go from his shit get rid to being first name on the team sheet is remarkable