Player Interviews and a Light Hearted Break | Vital Football

Player Interviews and a Light Hearted Break

LA_Imp

Vital Squad Member
Reading a lot of posts I'm starting to feel a bit of pressure, as if we are moving into a new gritty, get down in the mud, stage of the season. Players are tired, fans are nervous, and we know how important the next couple of months are. This is suck your gut in time, grit the teeth, balls to the wall (feel free to substitute with the war-movie/sports movie cliche of your choice). Vital, but not for the faint of heart.

So, I thought I would try to break it up a bit and suggest we talk about player interviews. The Imps seem to have a fantastic squad, devoid of bell-ends and prima donnas. All good so far. And when interviewed they come across as respectful, level-headed, and all in all, thoroughly nice chaps. The type of footballers you would take over to your Mums for tea and a McVities digestive if you were an aspiring WAG. But, and here is where I may verge on the controversial, perhaps a bit......boring.

I am sure in this day and age the absence of any comment even slightly edgy is exactly what the team seek, and they don't really stray into much strategy or analysis, wisely leaving that to the sage wisdom of Mr. Appleton and his crew. But, does anyone else long for the days of kebab-fumed belches, a quick "fuck-off", perhaps threatening the interviewer, the interviewers family, the interviewers pet dog, or waxing lyrical about some bollocks-fuelled philosophy they thought up because they read a book review on Amazon? Does the world need player interviews a touch less sterile than those we seem to be experiencing at this point in time?

Thoughts Imps?

I would think, rightly or wrongly, they receive training on how to give interviews and which involves using the word 'definitely' a lot.

Probably less of an issue at our level but certainly Premier League players will be trained to say absolutely nothing of interest whatsoever, for fear it might harm their advertising earnings. And to be fair, anytime one of them does say anything controversial/interesting there’s such a shit fit on social media they get slaughtered for it. Hence the mind numbingly boring interviews we get

Not solely concentrated to football either - Joe Root could be a Senior Executive in a Logisitcs Company for the banality of his interviews.

I've just finished all 4 seasons of Eastbound & Down. It's a difficult watch sometimes, but love how little Kenny Powers gives a fk.

I think I got to season 3 and then gave up, but I remember really enjoying the first season. I like my humour with a lot of dark twist.

Probably less of an issue at our level but certainly Premier League players will be trained to say absolutely nothing of interest whatsoever, for fear it might harm their advertising earnings. And to be fair, anytime one of them does say anything controversial/interesting there’s such a shit fit on social media they get slaughtered for it. Hence the mind numbingly boring interviews we get

Not solely concentrated to football either - Joe Root could be a Senior Executive in a Logisitcs Company for the banality of his interviews.

And to be fair, anytime one of them does say anything controversial/interesting there’s such a shit fit on social media they get slaughtered for it. Hence the mind numbingly boring interviews we get
There it is right there...

I would think, rightly or wrongly, they receive training on how to give interviews and which involves using the word 'definitely' a lot.

I think at Liverpool the media training involves "errmmm", "like" and " "right."

And Frank Lampard definitely went on a "keep scratching neck and nose" course.

Absolutely. 🤔😂

I had media training years ago. The one nugget I took from it was, from the interviewers perspective, don’t ask questions that elicit a yes or no answer. Make the questions open to encourage them to talk, such as “what is your view of ...” ”what do you think of ...”