Pizza Cup Semi | Vital Football

Pizza Cup Semi

C_Latic

Vital 1st Team Regular
I personally think that all suspended players should start as should Magennis, make the lampost earn his wage. I'd start Pearce as well to try and build up his fitness, plus Jones and whichever one of Tilt or Watts that isn't going to start next weekend. The rest of the squad should come from the academy. Normally I would've said play Bayliss and Massey, but we're down to the bare bones in central midfield/right back and need both for the league.

Jones

Darikwa, (Academy), Watts/Tilt, Pearce

(Academy), Shinnie

(Academy), McGrath, McClean

Magennis

Can’t disagree with that line up and reasoning. Would expect the suspended players to start this game. Pearce to build up fitness.
Good chance for McGrath to have some minute ls under his belt.

Not convinced I would start Maggenis though. I would start Sze.
Also, would start a academy lad over Watts/Tilt. We’re already missing Kerr.

Play the under 11s and put this joke of a tournament where it belongs ...in the round file in the corner.
I think after their performance against Arsenal, some (well, most if not all) of them deserve the chance to play against Sutton.

Supported by some of the fringe senior players, we should still look quite strong.

No point getting to this point and then chucking the game, but I agree that we should be resting all regular first teamers.

I think I’m right in saying we have to play four first team players. Jones can be one and then the three suspended. Personally I’d then sub all three off as soon as the ball went of play. Couldn’t give a flying fuck about this competition this season and should be treated with the contempt it deserves. The academy lads should play and it’ll be good for their development both in terms of opposition and sense of occasion. If they win then fair enough, they can then all start in the final.

I doubt if McClean will play, as he's been needing injections in his foot to play for a while now.

Magennis might get some game time though in the hope he might score and get some badly needed confidence.

I personally think that all suspended players should start as should Magennis, make the lampost earn his wage. I'd start Pearce as well to try and build up his fitness, plus Jones and whichever one of Tilt or Watts that isn't going to start next weekend. The rest of the squad should come from the academy. Normally I would've said play Bayliss and Massey, but we're down to the bare bones in central midfield/right back and need both for the league.

Jones

(Academy), Shinnie

Magennis

Think I'd play the same, with the exception of McClean. Been carrying an injury so best to rest him.

Play Scott Smith in middle with Shinnie, Massey on right and Carragher other centre back.

Wonder if Rotherham fans are saying the same things on there fans forums.
Online fans seem very split, especially after yesterday's game.

But away tickets for their game got sold out so... Idk. I reckon the majority does want a win there, without going all in.

Think I'd play the same, with the exception of McClean. Been carrying an injury so best to rest him.

Play Scott Smith in middle with Shinnie, Massey on right and Carragher other centre back.
I don't think either lineup follows the lineup requirements for the competition, though.

EFL clubs must have at least four 'qualifying' outfield players in their line-ups, with such a player meeting these requirements:

1. Any player who started the previous or following first-team fixture
  2. Any player who is in the top 10 players at the club who have made the most starting appearances in league and domestic cup competitions that season
  3. Any player with 40 or more first-team appearances in their career
  4. Any player on loan from a Premier League club or any EFL 'Category One' academy club

Edit: wait, nevermind, I think half the team fits the criteria.

Last edited:
We had less injuries and tired players when we faced Arsenal U23s and the starting 11 was:

Jones

Lloyd
Carragher
Long
Bennett
Pearce

Power
Bayliss
McHugh
Aasgaard

Sze

So I imagine it could be similar to that. But Aasgaard, Bayliss, Power and Bennett swopped out for McGrath and some other fringe first teamers.

Jamie Jones

Darikwa
Long/Carragher
Tilt
Robinson

Bayliss
Shinnie

Massey
McGrath
Pearce

Magennis

Bench made up predominantly of U23 Players. I would not risk McLean due to the fact he’s supposedly been playing with injections. (UNLESS HE IS NOW FULLY FIT)

I imagine Bayliss will be involved against Mk Dons but we are short of midfielders and I think we need a majority of senior pros, otherwise Sutton will blow us away as this will be one of their biggest ever games. Might do the lad some good to get more minutes.

Jones

(Academy), Shinnie

Magennis

I'd go with this line up:
Jones, Lloyd, Long, Watts, Pearce, Adeeko, Shinnie, Baningime, McGrath, Massey, Magennis
Subs: Tickle, Darikwa/Power, Whatmough, Bayliss, Sze, Pinnington, Bennett

Do EFL suspensions count in the pizza cup? I thought they did, but that may be complete b*llocks!

I'd go with this line up:
Jones, Lloyd, Long, Watts, Pearce, Adeeko, Shinnie, Baningime, McGrath, Massey, Magennis
Subs: Tickle, Darikwa/Power, Whatmough, Bayliss, Sze, Pinnington, Bennett

Do EFL suspensions count in the pizza cup? I thought they did, but that may be complete b*llocks!

I don't think so, league suspensions are only served in league games.

It would've been quite handy if 2 of our suspensions could be served against Sutton and back for MK, but unfortunately not.

I don't think so, league suspensions are only served in league games.

It would've been quite handy if 2 of our suspensions could be served against Sutton and back for MK, but unfortunately not.
In which case then we can throw in McClean et al for this game. Lang can be sat with his feet up in the stands!