Pivotal Easter | Page 2 | Vital Football

Pivotal Easter

signs are not great.
not playing brilliantly.
18 points in 13 games this calendar year. [1.38 points per game]
8 points in the last six games [1.33 points per game] - and both wins against the teams in the bottom three.
freck not got going yet. personal problems, problems gelling with the other midfielders, and injury.
1 win, and just 7 points in ten attempts against teams above us [0.7 points per game] - and we still have four of them to play.

61 points in 38 games [1.60 points per game]
and now the boss wants 2 points a game over the last eight.

on the positive side.
turn all that around and we still have a chance. for once we have someone in charge that is possibly the best we could have for the challenge. if anyone can do it cowley can.

nlondonimp - 28/3/2018 11:51

signs are not great.

8 points in the last six games [1.33 points per game] - and both wins against the teams in the bottom three.

Or 8 from last 4 (2 pts a game) 3 of which were away

Lincoln say they have planned player fitness to peak at the right time - i.e. now. I wonder how many other clubs have the sports science necessary to do that?

Will the ageing legs of Notts County (and Wycombe to a lesser extent) stay the course, on the other hand?

Lets of ebb and flow to come.

Be very interesting to see if the Cowleys can maintain their "peaking at the business end of the season" strategy - really hope so. Oooh - squeaky bottom and twisted knickers time !!

Isn't it great to be thinking, at this time of the season about these things instead of looking at the fixtures to see what we need to avoid relegation, or planning holidays because we have nothing to play for. Personally, my life has become a little harder as I now owe "her indoors" a trip to the uk to make up for my visit to Wembley next week. Exciting times eh - wouldn't have it any other way.

i can understand why athletes aim to peak for a certain event/time of year, say the olympics for example. or a boxer training to peak at the specific date of a bout.

peaking at a certain point of a 9 month league season - where every game is worth 3 points - is an interesting concept. are the three points available tomorrow more important than the three points that were available at exeter in august?

I suppose they would say it's impossible to stay at your peak for 9 months.
Maybe it's to be at the peak when others are waining

Cowley is famous for it. He claims his teams always get better over the second half of a season, the plan being to remain in contention for the majority of the season and press home the fitness advantage in the closing stages.

Last season could not have happened, had they not had some kind of a planned fitness regime - in the final stages of a 61-game season, no team should be able to win 7 in a row.

I'm no sports scientist but I'd guess a steady uplift towards peaking over a sustained period is better than peaking too soon and falling off a cliff.

Probably easier to control the ascent than the decent is my point.

maybe peaking in the last few was planned with one eye on being in good form for the playoffs.

the counter point would be, if we had peaked earlier - or started the season like luton - we may have had enough points to be coasting along in the top three now ;)

enjoying the journey, regardless of how we do it, uti.

Tbh, I think a lot of it is mental. You tell someone something enough times and they start to believe you.

We were on our @rse in those final 8 or 9 games of the season. It was the mentality of the squad of refusing to say they were tired and repeating what DC was saying that got us through.

One good thing isn’t that we are pretty much back to fall strength. Waterfall back, Wilson getting closer. Rowe and Anderson had a bit of time out, we should have plenty in the locker.

JT_LCFC - 29/3/2018 21:52

One good thing isn’t that we are pretty much back to fall strength. Waterfall back, Wilson getting closer. Rowe and Anderson had a bit of time out, we should have plenty in the locker.

Wilson is fit, and has been for two weeks - he has been kept out of the side by the form of others, primarily Wharton. The only current casualty is Vickers. Danny said today that he is back in full training with the exception of kicking - that will follow in the next couple of weeks, and we should have him back for the final few games.

Having said that, I can't see him displacing Allsop unless he has a 'mare or two.

Luke Imp - 29/3/2018 20:32

Tbh, I think a lot of it is mental. You tell someone something enough times and they start to believe you.

We were on our @rse in those final 8 or 9 games of the season. It was the mentality of the squad of refusing to say they were tired and repeating what DC was saying that got us through.

I'm sure that is very relevant, and not even Danny could have legislated for playing 61 games in the season. That must be virtually unheard of for a non-league club (excluding county cup matches) and is certainly a club record at Lincoln City.

Red Wimp - 28/3/2018 19:36

nlondonimp - 28/3/2018 11:51

signs are not great.

Or 8 from last 4 (2 pts a game) 3 of which were away

i see what you did there with the stats )))