Pitarch Leaves | Page 3 | Vital Football

Pitarch Leaves

As soon as Smith said there was a meeting today I knew at least one head would roll. We now know who they blame for this pathetic season and it's music to my ears. Sky reported earlier that the owners weren't happy with the return on their £135m transfer investment.

What remains to be seen is will he be the only one to get the chop.

If Purslow had convinced them we'd swim it as per his pre-season words, I can see why they weren't happy! They should've been well aware it was going to be hit and miss.

It's all very well bigging up the owners, their wealth, their supposed ambition, etc.

But the fact remains they have absolutely no background in football (the fact Wes Edens owns a US sports team is totally irrelevant) and are totally reliant on Purslow and Pitarch to run the show, in the same way the Glazers relied on David Gill and Roman Abramovich installed Peter Kenyon.

So the reality is we are at the 'mercy' of Purslow, his nous and the knowledge and influence of Pitarch. I'm not convinced we have made poor signings, just woefully inexperienced ones, which in itself is negligent.

Heaton was welcomed and performed well. Konsa has grown as the season has worn on, as has Luiz. El Ghazi was always going to join, as was Mings. Wesley is still a huge unknown, Jota a weird signing which didn't really cost anything.

Targett has not been good enough for me (for the money involved) and Guilbert was already signed and has performed acceptably imho. I still think Engels is a good player but was a bit rabbit in the headlights at times and the gaffe against Spurs highlighted that to our cost. Trezeguet was left-field but his goals have proved crucial at key moments in the season.

The jury is out on Nakamba but I generally like what I see and the mistakes were becoming much more rare. Only Samatta looks like a total waste of money, a January panic buy who has got worse out of all recognition since lockdown.

So all things considered, I don't think the recruitment by Purslow, Suso AND Smith has been anywhere near as bad as some make out. The big issue was the shocking lack of Premier League (or high level) experience we left ourselves with at the start of the season, and the transfer 'committee' should rightly get pelters for that.

Still, if Suso has gone, so be it. Whatever happens now, or whoever comes in (or not), the key is buying the right mix of quality AND experience this summer to supplement the talent we already have in place. No need for wholesale changes as per last summer.

You FP'ing that mate?

I do agree, only other thing I'd add is the lack of an experienced striker to take the strain off Wes as he settled. Sama still has settling in excuses, but those are over by the New Year (as I do see the football pause could've seriously impacted his confidence and momentum from a 'big move' and that's why he tailed off, but again that excuse certainly won't apply by next Jan).

The problems this season (or is it last season now?) was recruitment so the guy in charge of that has been moved on. Harsh but in football that is the reality. Hopefully that puts to bed the sign loads of young foreign players experiment and we now focus on more proven players.

I agree about the lack of PL experience and also the limited striking options in last Summer's transfers. The recruitment in January was woeful (on the whole) for which someone had to carry the can. Something needed to happen re Purslow, Smith and Suso. Pitarch going is fine, but it's who replaces him and the quality of the recruitment this Summer that will dictate whether Suso was the right one to go.

It's all very well bigging up the owners, their wealth, their supposed ambition, etc.

But the fact remains they have absolutely no background in football (the fact Wes Edens owns a US sports team is totally irrelevant) and are totally reliant on Purslow and Pitarch to run the show, in the same way the Glazers relied on David Gill and Roman Abramovich installed Peter Kenyon.

So the reality is we are at the 'mercy' of Purslow, his nous and the knowledge and influence of Pitarch. I'm not convinced we have made poor signings, just woefully inexperienced ones, which in itself is negligent.

Heaton was welcomed and performed well. Konsa has grown as the season has worn on, as has Luiz. El Ghazi was always going to join, as was Mings. Wesley is still a huge unknown, Jota a weird signing which didn't really cost anything.

Targett has not been good enough for me (for the money involved) and Guilbert was already signed and has performed acceptably imho. I still think Engels is a good player but was a bit rabbit in the headlights at times and the gaffe against Spurs highlighted that to our cost. Trezeguet was left-field but his goals have proved crucial at key moments in the season.

The jury is out on Nakamba but I generally like what I see and the mistakes were becoming much more rare. Only Samatta looks like a total waste of money, a January panic buy who has got worse out of all recognition since lockdown.

So all things considered, I don't think the recruitment by Purslow, Suso AND Smith has been anywhere near as bad as some make out. The big issue was the shocking lack of Premier League (or high level) experience we left ourselves with at the start of the season, and the transfer 'committee' should rightly get pelters for that.

Still, if Suso has gone, so be it. Whatever happens now, or whoever comes in (or not), the key is buying the right mix of quality AND experience this summer to supplement the talent we already have in place. No need for wholesale changes as per last summer.
I am truly puzzled by Purslow talking about championship Vs premier League money today. If you have just escaped relegation surely it would be the last thing on your mind. Is he after some job in administration? Really I want to know. The focus now should be next year, signings and what we are going to do. I really hope the owners understand how bad this looks. This comes hot on the heels of a Liverpool friend of mine warning me about Purslow this morning

Better to sack the low hanging fruit, despite the manager and ceo saying how excited they were at the signings and how big a role they played?

Do you look at the low hanging fruit, or those who brought them in?

I have the answer, you go for the low hanging fruit and hope no one notices the shite job you did bringing them in and now (it seems) relying on their decisions.

A laughable cop out that they'll easily get away with.

I'm delighted to hear this news. Let's hope the replacement helps build a squad that can take us to another level. UTV.

Or at the very least is able to deflect the blame from the so called manager and those above?

Or at the very least is able to deflect the blame from the so called manager and those above?
Well the owners seem to have agreed with me mate. Pitarch is sacked and Dean was given a bonus. Says it all about what was going on behind the scenes.

Well the owners seem to have agreed with me mate. Pitarch is sacked and Dean was given a bonus. Says it all about what was going on behind the scenes.

Indeed, low hanging fruit, easy target, take the word of the well paid CEO. More than happy for you that you feel the owners have vindicated your view mate, nice one!!! If they and you feel and they feel 17th is success and the lowest of all the people in this conundrum, not the people who brought him in and apparently listened to him, is the only one to go. It is just so easy and shows they aren't hands on.

Would he be getting the praise if we finished where El Deanio Smithio and Purslow boasted they believed we would as well? Would he fuck. But those two will now duck down and hope the owners are happy with the one sacrifice.

Very clever work really, on that I will congratulate them and it seems you too are due congratulations? :grinning::lol:

There is a lot I don't know but I know Dean Smith is a decent man and has his heart in it. He has kept the players fighting for the cause. Purslow....well he seems busy talking about extraneous issues. The day after we survive. Weird

I am truly puzzled by Purslow talking about championship Vs premier League money today. If you have just escaped relegation surely it would be the last thing on your mind. Is he after some job in administration? Really I want to know. The focus now should be next year, signings and what we are going to do. I really hope the owners understand how bad this looks. This comes hot on the heels of a Liverpool friend of mine warning me about Purslow this morning

Asked a valid question given how close we were to returning and gave a sensible answer - keeps him and Aston Villa in the news, arguably, as a force for good for our fellow clubs - given our history and all that.

I don't see it as a problem, he's not going to talk budgets, signings etc - if anything he should be sobering up knowing we pulled a rabbit from a hat. And as we learnt last summer, we don't want Purslow predicting fucking anything!

Better to sack the low hanging fruit, despite the manager and ceo saying how excited they were at the signings and how big a role they played?

Do you look at the low hanging fruit, or those who brought them in?

I have the answer, you go for the low hanging fruit and hope no one notices the shite job you did bringing them in and now (it seems) relying on their decisions.

A laughable cop out that they'll easily get away with.
I get where you are coming from, but is the club's Sporting Director/Director of Football really 'low hanging fruit'? Surely Suso's position is pretty senior?

'Low hanging fruit' would cover the likes of Richard O'Kelly, JT or Neil Cutler surely? :shrug:

DS would always get a bonus for survival, the same as a pay cut or a P45 for relegation....the players will as well. This is the modern game, we aren't special.

Hardly going to call them shit are they? Purslow wouldn't know, DS I hope would know better.

And it might explain why he hasn't used some, and only sparingly used others.

Indeed, low hanging fruit, easy target, take the word of the well paid CEO. More than happy for you that you feel the owners have vindicated your view mate, nice one!!! If they and you feel and they feel 17th is success and the lowest of all the people in this conundrum, not the people who brought him in and apparently listened to him, is the only one to go. It is just so easy and shows they aren't hands on.

Would he be getting the praise if we finished where El Deanio Smithio and Purslow boasted they believed we would as well? Would he fuck. But those two will now duck down and hope the owners are happy with the one sacrifice.

Very clever work really, on that I will congratulate them and it seems you too are due congratulations? :grinning::lol:
As nice as it is to be right, I dont need to be vindicated or congratulated, I'm used to being right so its water off a ducks back!

I'm glad that no Villans were hurt in the making of this documentary and we still have a Villa manager and a Villa captain going into a new Premier League season.

If we finished where the club expected us to finish of course Suso wouldn't have got the sack but we arent going to finish top eight with Wesley, Trezeguet, Nakamba, Engels, Borja Baston, Samatta, whoever else the great Jesus found for us last summer and at Christmas. He didnt do his job in the eyes of the owners and he deservedly gets shown the door.