Pigtalk Forum.... | Page 4 | Vital Football

Pigtalk Forum....

Size isn't everything
Well, you say that Aya but try telling my Mrs.....

She insists that I’d do a far better job if I had a bigger mower. She’s become obsessed with gardening since lockdown, even makes me doff mi cap to her and call her Lady Chatterly. :tophat:

Well, you say that Aya but try telling my Mrs.....

She insists that I’d do a far better job if I had a bigger mower. She’s become obsessed with gardening since lockdown, even makes me doff mi cap to her and call her Lady Chatterly. :tophat:
Poacher turned gamekeeper GB or should I say Sir Clifford now ?
Only advice I can give you is beware of the bush!

Were it just a single lonely bush. We‘ve got a protected hedgerow down one side of the back garden and amongst it there‘s just about every type of Thorne and Holly variety in the land. I still fall for it even after all these years...I did yesterday. ‘You’re bigger than me! You’re stronger than me!’...‘I wish I didn’t have to ask you’ as she points out the offending branches and sends me in armed with the saw and loppers to be ripped apart.......while she potters about.. To be fair to her, she’s very good at pottering. :yes:

Were it just a single lonely bush. We‘ve got a protected hedgerow down one side of the back garden and amongst it there‘s just about every type of Thorne and Holly variety in the land. I still fall for it even after all these years...I did yesterday. ‘You’re bigger than me! You’re stronger than me!’...‘I wish I didn’t have to ask you’ as she points out the offending branches and sends me in armed with the saw and loppers to be ripped apart.......while she potters about.. To be fair to her, she’s very good at pottering. :yes:
We've 'future proofed' the garden with the complete back garden being a deck and the front, which was 3 levels of shrubbery terraces, now 2 large levels completely covered with gold coloured pebbles.Just awaiting the planting of beech hedges either side to tidy up and keep the neighbours' weeds out (hopefully).

With going away fo long periods ( well, we used to!) it was a nightmare to come back to so decided to make it as low maintenance as possible with just pots of flowers etc dotted about.

TBH I can't tell a flower from a weed and detest gardening so leave it to the wife to prettify the area.

We've 'future proofed' the garden with the complete back garden being a deck and the front, which was 3 levels of shrubbery terraces, now 2 large levels completely covered with gold coloured pebbles.Just awaiting the planting of beech hedges either side to tidy up and keep the neighbours' weeds out (hopefully).

With going away fo long periods ( well, we used to!) it was a nightmare to come back to so decided to make it as low maintenance as possible with just pots of flowers etc dotted about.

TBH I can't tell a flower from a weed and detest gardening so leave it to the wife to prettify the area.
I‘ve been considering doing something to reduce the maintenance TT, it’s definitely getting harder to maintain as the years go by. The front’s not too bad, just the lawn to cut and a mixture of slow growing shrubs, roses and the odd tub and basket, but the back garden is another matter. The lawn alone can more than fill the green bin after one cut and then there‘s the aforementioned protected hedgerow and a few other trees that the builders planted initially. To be honest I used to manage it all myself without a problem but in recent times I‘ve got somebody in every couple of years to sort it. I use Bakewell Tree Care, they’ve always done a good job. Shred it and take it all away.

I was in my 40’s when we moved in here, jees it’s nearly a quarter of a century ago and it seems like 5 years. We always wanted a bigger back garden and this fit the bill. Climbing up an unfooted double extension ladder swinging on the branches with a saw or extended loppers in my hand wasn’t a problem back then but when I reached my mid 60’s, I (or rather the Mrs) decided that it was daft and the time had come for me to pay somebody else to do the heavy stuff that I can’t reach from Mother Earth... See, she’s all heart. 😂

My problem is that I’ve always enjoyed sorting and fixing things myself, I‘ve still got my electrician’s certs and I love a bit of plumbing and heating work as well as gardening. I’ll have a go at anything except decorating these days which fortunately isn’t an issue because one of my lads runs a decorating business and does a far better job than I ever could. I don’t mind blobbing a bit of paint on something like the greenhouse if need be but that’s as far as it goes, I suppose it’s like you are with gardening mate.

I‘ve been considering doing something to reduce the maintenance TT, it’s definitely getting harder to maintain as the years go by. The front’s not too bad, just the lawn to cut and a mixture of slow growing shrubs, roses and the odd tub and basket, but the back garden is another matter. The lawn alone can more than fill the green bin after one cut and then there‘s the aforementioned protected hedgerow and a few other trees that the builders planted initially. To be honest I used to manage it all myself without a problem but in recent times I‘ve got somebody in every couple of years to sort it. I use Bakewell Tree Care, they’ve always done a good job. Shred it and take it all away.

I was in my 40’s when we moved in here, jees it’s nearly a quarter of a century ago and it seems like 5 years. We always wanted a bigger back garden and this fit the bill. Climbing up an unfooted double extension ladder swinging on the branches with a saw or extended loppers in my hand wasn’t a problem back then but when I reached my mid 60’s, I (or rather the Mrs) decided that it was daft and the time had come for me to pay somebody else to do the heavy stuff that I can’t reach from Mother Earth... See, she’s all heart. 😂

My problem is that I’ve always enjoyed sorting and fixing things myself, I‘ve still got my electrician’s certs and I love a bit of plumbing and heating work as well as gardening. I’ll have a go at anything except decorating these days which fortunately isn’t an issue because one of my lads runs a decorating business and does a far better job than I ever could. I don’t mind blobbing a bit of paint on something like the greenhouse if need be but that’s as far as it goes, I suppose it’s like you are with gardening mate.
I'm just hopeless at DIY GB so, apart from a bit of outside painting, garage etc, I keep well away.The wife's OK at decorating but age catches up and so , apart from repainting the non papered walls , and re-touching woodwork that's about it.

We had the lawn removed and decked when the kids grew up and that's a great 'outside' room now and was used more this year than ever before. Like you I would climb a ladder and chop down branches etc but I'm a liability these days so we've had 4 trees that were close to the house removed in the last couple of years.
After coming back from 3 months abroad a couple of years ago and taking about a week to cut back, virtually to the roots, all the shrubs etc we got the front made into 2 levels, with a 'wall' of sleepers seperating the two, and then pebbled over and tarted up with some large pots.

As I say, I'm useless,if not dangerous, at DIY but, in my defence I do all the cooking and enjoy it- and , whisper it, am better at it thn the wife!

I'm just hopeless at DIY GB so, apart from a bit of outside painting, garage etc, I keep well away.The wife's OK at decorating but age catches up and so , apart from repainting the non papered walls , and re-touching woodwork that's about it.

We had the lawn removed and decked when the kids grew up and that's a great 'outside' room now and was used more this year than ever before. Like you I would climb a ladder and chop down branches etc but I'm a liability these days so we've had 4 trees that were close to the house removed in the last couple of years.
After coming back from 3 months abroad a couple of years ago and taking about a week to cut back, virtually to the roots, all the shrubs etc we got the front made into 2 levels, with a 'wall' of sleepers seperating the two, and then pebbled over and tarted up with some large pots.

As I say, I'm useless,if not dangerous, at DIY but, in my defence I do all the cooking and enjoy it- and , whisper it, am better at it thn the wife!
😂 Shhhhh!

I enjoy a bit of cooking myself TT in fact I’ll be creating something tonight to soak up the red wine while we watch the match...creating being the operative word. My problem (according to the Mrs) is that I don’t ever do routine meals. Can’t be bothered to make up anything out of a packet or tin me, it has to be my own creation and of course suitably acclaimed afterwards. 😂😉

😂 Shhhhh!

I enjoy a bit of cooking myself TT in fact I’ll be creating something tonight to soak up the red wine while we watch the match...creating being the operative word. My problem (according to the Mrs) is that I don’t ever do routine meals. Can’t be bothered to make up anything out of a packet or tin me, it has to be my own creation and of course suitably acclaimed afterwards. 😂😉
Snap, not a recipe follower either. Give me a bag of ingredients and I'll produce something more than acceptable but never follow a recipe.Normally goes down well with friends etc but I have to tell them that , if they want some excellent food, they need to taste my brother's cooking- he is a professional chef by trade.

BTW, whilst we are on domestic stuff I was just flicking through the TV channels and came across an Escape to The Country and heard them say they were in beautiful South Yorkshire so I stopped flicking, intrigued. one of the houses they were showing the poor unfortunates was house in Treeton!!!!.

Has Rod got the 'For Sale' signs up?

Snap, not a recipe follower either. Give me a bag of ingredients and I'll produce something more than acceptable but never follow a recipe.Normally goes down well with friends etc but I have to tell them that , if they want some excellent food, they need to taste my brother's cooking- he is a professional chef by trade.

BTW, whilst we are on domestic stuff I was just flicking through the TV channels and came across an Escape to The Country and heard them say they were in beautiful South Yorkshire so I stopped flicking, intrigued. one of the houses they were showing the poor unfortunates was house in Treeton!!!!.

Has Rod got the 'For Sale' signs up?
Having a professional chef in the family must be brilliant as long as he doesn’t mind mixing work with leisure.

I bet @Rod Currie will have taken advantage of the low stamp low and moved to S6 to keep an eye on our undercover Porkers.

Having a professional chef in the family must be brilliant as long as he doesn’t mind mixing work with leisure.

I bet @Rod Currie will have taken advantage of the low stamp low and moved to S6 to keep an eye on our undercover Porkers.
He's better off staying in Treeton than getting into that midden that Swillsboro's built around.

We met my brother and is wife on holiday last year when they flew out to join us in Spain whilst we were in the motorhome. I thought it would be great with him doing a bit of the cooking and enjoying some nice food together but, to my surprise,over the years, he's become very jaded and has little interest in food for himself so, instead of great food we shared some very expensive Rioja and tapas bills whilst eating out.