Phil Neale Interview | Vital Football

Phil Neale Interview

A really good read. I don't remember Steve Collins, though!

Left back. Had a spell on loan from Southend starting in March 1985 then signed permanently. Not one of Colin Murphy's best bits of recruitment.

Left for Peterborough later in the same year.

Excellent read. One of my heroes from the GT era. Was blown away when I first found out he was playing top level cricket as well. One of a dying breed at that time. Was it Steve Ogrizovic the CoventryGK who played cricket as well, thoug not as much or at as high a level as Phil. I remember Phil missing a few games at the start of each season because of the overlapping end to the cricket season. Was at the Fulham game - 21,000. Amazing, and heartbreaking game.

Chris Balderstone was one of the last true dual sportsmen having a career that in some respects mirrored Phil Neale. Balderstone's football career was just winding down as Phil Neale's was cranking up.

There was always Ian Botham of course :throw:

Chris Balderstone was one of the last ...

Balderstone played a league match in the middle of scoring a century.

Balderstone was 51 not out against Derbyshire at the end of day two of Leicestershire's match at Chesterfield. After close of play he changed into his football kit to play for Doncaster Rovers in an evening match 30 miles away (a 1–1 draw with Brentford). He then returned to Chesterfield the following morning to complete a century and take three wickets to help wrap up Leicestershire's first ever County Championship title. (Wiki)

Excellent read. One of my heroes from the GT era. Was blown away when I first found out he was playing top level cricket as well. One of a dying breed at that time. Was it Steve Ogrizovic the CoventryGK who played cricket as well, thoug not as much or at as high a level as Phil. I remember Phil missing a few games at the start of each season because of the overlapping end to the cricket season. Was at the Fulham game - 21,000. Amazing, and heartbreaking game.

I think Oggy played for Staffordshire (minor counties).

Botham played a few games for Scunny and was an ok cricketer too.

Later players who could have played both games professionally but either chose or were not permitted include the Neville Brothers, Scholes, Andy Booth, and Graham Thorpe (a fine footballer who chose cricket). Gary Lineker also played for Leics 2nd XI and I believe Harry Kane is also a handy cricketer. There are probably many others!

I think Oggy played for Staffordshire (minor counties).

Botham played a few games for Scunny and was an ok cricketer too.

Later players who could have played both games professionally but either chose or were not permitted include the Neville Brothers, Scholes, Andy Booth, and Graham Thorpe (a fine footballer who chose cricket). Gary Lineker also played for Leics 2nd XI and I believe Harry Kane is also a handy cricketer. There are probably many others!

Honourable mention also to Christian Vieri, who wanted to be a pro cricketer!

Went to school with Chris. Good spin bowler and wrote a biography on Fred Trueman
So did I, used to chat with him on twitter, he was my school cricket captain and captained our club youth team too, good leg spin bowler and decent musican too.

Phil was the left back when I first started going back in the 81 82 season.
Remember him taking the utter piss out of a Brentford player when we beat in March 1983, kept running round him and passing back to Felgate, bloody hilarious it was, in the days when you could when you were hanging onto a lead late on.