Penalties - Don't Get Me Started! | Vital Football

Penalties - Don't Get Me Started!

SaskPool

Vital Football Legend
I go through this argument with myself every time we miss a penalty.
I place the blame at the feet of the manager - and almost every other manager in football! Managers are there to 'manage'! You might want to write that down. They pick the side and the subs. They tell the players where to play and what formation to take. They decide (on the training ground) who should take the corners and the throw ins if we have a long ball thrower in the side.
But when it comes to penalties, managers let the players on the field fight over it. And, as SEX said, the Fonz and Ryan were 'discussing' who should take the kick on Saturday.
Simple question. Why can't the manager dictate/order who should take a penalty if one is awarded? If that happened, it doesn't mean we'd score every penalty, but the responsibility would be the manager's, as it should be.
There, I've got it off my chest!

I recall a draw at Bristol City a few years back. A penalty was awarded late on against Gilks. Albert Adomah was about to take it when Brizzle brought on a sub who clinically dispatched it. The Brizzle fans assured me Adomah would have missed.

SaskPool - 2/10/2017 13:30

I go through this argument with myself every time we miss a penalty.
I place the blame at the feet of the manager - and almost every other manager in football! Managers are there to 'manage'! You might want to write that down. They pick the side and the subs. They tell the players where to play and what formation to take. They decide (on the training ground) who should take the corners and the throw ins if we have a long ball thrower in the side.
But when it comes to penalties, managers let the players on the field fight over it. And, as SEX said, the Fonz and Ryan were 'discussing' who should take the kick on Saturday.
Simple question. Why can't the manager dictate/order who should take a penalty if one is awarded? If that happened, it doesn't mean we'd score every penalty, but the responsibility would be the manager's, as it should be.
There, I've got it off my chest!

A very good point Sask. The manager should delegate a proven penalty taker. :tophat:

I think Vass would have taken it but he had been subbed.
I dread to think how many we missed last season.
Cullen always puts them to his left - the goalies right.
What doesn't help is the umming and arrghhhing between players after the kicks been awarded.
Trying to remember sho scored v Wiggun in the ldv shoot out recently.