Pause/Stop | Vital Football

Pause/Stop

jogills

Vital Football Hero
I see that Steve Bruce has called for the season to stop in the light of the recent surge in the virus. Games are being postponed in increasing numbers and some games have been played with heavily depleted squads. In the first phase of the pandemic football was ahead of the game and I wonder if it isn't time for another rethink. We risk the competitions slowly descending into chaos, irrelevance and abandonment when a break might give time for things to calm down and allow new thinking ready for a restart.

The main block to action appears to be the European competition in June. That is largely irrelevant to us but our whoile division is being held to the same deadline because a few clubs have a few players who might be involved. Strange that a club can be compelled to play with an entire squad of youngsters, without enouugh players to fill the bench or name a goalkeeper but we baulk at lgnoring a competition with much less impact. I think it's time to call of the European competition and take some time out. Enjoy today's game in the meantime.

It's a tough one. The continuance of the season helps pay the clubs bills through subscriptions etc. Also there is the mental wellbeing benefit for many home bound folk who have nothing else going on in their lives than to enjoy a bit of football.
Against that we are suffering the worst spell of virus spread since the outbreak started. Actually having a, much discussed, winter break now for 3 to 4 weeks would probably be good overall as long as the season is extended by the same period.
In the end money will talk I suspect.

It will.

I think the weather might have a say as well. Although nothing is ever certain on an island the weather patterns are suggesting a cold winter as we get towards the end of Jan. Frozen pitches for a few weeks might enforce that winter break.

The Prem. grounds all have undersoil heating so that won't effect them. The bigger thing against a pause is clubs not defaulting on their TV contracts. That money is vital to them. As is the smaller amount going to EFL clubs.

The Prem. grounds all have undersoil heating so that won't effect them. The bigger thing against a pause is clubs not defaulting on their TV contracts. That money is vital to them. As is the smaller amount going to EFL clubs.

Was thinking at our level. Should have made that clearer.

It's a tough one. The continuance of the season helps pay the clubs bills through subscriptions etc. Also there is the mental wellbeing benefit for many home bound folk who have nothing else going on in their lives than to enjoy a bit of football.
Against that we are suffering the worst spell of virus spread since the outbreak started. Actually having a, much discussed, winter break now for 3 to 4 weeks would probably be good overall as long as the season is extended by the same period.
There was a winter break last season in the Premier league .

I wonder when he will launch next seasons ST package. It was really early last year.

Can't imagine him offering ST's until we can actually return to the ground, who would buy prior to having that knowledge anyway?

I bought a two year ST so am tied in for 2021/22 anyway!

Can't imagine him offering ST's until we can actually return to the ground, who would buy prior to having that knowledge anyway?

I bought a two year ST so am tied in for 2021/22 anyway!

Pitch it with a "we need your help to survive" appeal and people might support it.

I am very confident that we we all return to the stadium in August.

I read that Lincoln fans converted their season ticket refunds to shares to feel that they had a voice in the club, many bought more as well which has given them cashflow. Unfortunately we've already blown that opportunity with the last share deal.